Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ Saving Throws & Tasks
Jeff
Administrator
Post 3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ Saving Throws & Tasks
on: July 10, 2011, 06:37

3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ will incorporate the "Villains and Vigilantes™ 2.1 Revised Saving Throws and Task System", which you can download here:

http://monkeyhousegames.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Saves-Tasks.pdf

I think I already mentioned this on one of the other threads; this topic is specifically for discussing it.

-Jeff

Aramax
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: V&V 3.0™ Saving Throws & Tasks
on: July 15, 2011, 19:02

printed and put in my 2.1 rule book,it,s perfect and I say so 😉

Masked-Rev-
enger
Street-Level Hero
Post Re: 3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ Saving Throws & Tasks
on: September 23, 2017, 22:46

I just got my new 3.0 Mighty Protectors book in the mail, and I am super excited! I do have one question, though.

I'm curious as to why Strength doesn't have a Save like all the other stats do? It seems odd to me to have one stat work differently than the others when it comes to tasks.

For example:

Hero-Man and Sidekick-Boy are in the volcano lair of the nefarious Evil Villain. He decides to trap our heroes by sliding down a blast door, sealing off the room they are in. Hero-Man leaps into action, catching the door and holding it open while Sidekick-Boy slides underneath to the controls in the other room.

In my understanding of the Save & Task rules in the 3.0 Rule book, this would be a Strength task. But, instead of rolling a Strength save, or even an opposed roll against the door (the door's strength?), Hero-Man roll's his HTH Damage, and tries to get over a number that the GM assigns? Are there examples of where that number would come from that I'm just not seeing in the book?

This rule has me confused, really. I admit that I haven't read the entire rule book thoroughly, so maybe I missed something.

Jeff
Administrator
on: September 24, 2017, 00:00

It's because a character with a ST score 3 points higher is *twice* as strong. It needs to be like that to accommodate super strength, but that also means it doesn't make sense for a guy who's 6 points stronger - i.e. 4 *times* stronger - would only get a 5% advantage (+1 on a d20 scale). Which is how it needed to work for all of the other stats.

No, there isn't a quick lookup table for Base HTH/Strength roll target numbers, but if you use the Carrying Capacity column on the table at 2.1.7.2 to represent the weight of an object, 60 lbs is a difficulty of 3 to lift. Add 1 to the difficulty for each step down (x2 weight) on the table. So, for example:

30: 3
60: 4
120: 5
240: 6
480: 7

And so on. Hope that helps!

Masked-Rev-
enger
Street-Level Hero
on: September 24, 2017, 01:01

Yes, that helps tremendously! And the super-strength explanation makes sense. I figured it had to be something like that, I just couldn't see why in the rules as written.

Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.023 seconds.