Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 >> Last
Author Topic: 3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ Basic Characteristics
Jeff
Administrator
Post 3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ Basic Characteristics
on: April 25, 2011, 12:57

Design Goals & Solutions:

1) In V&V™ 2.1, the different BCs were not all equally desirable. This will not work with the character customization features in 3.0. Address this by taking some functionality away from overly-useful BCs (such as Agility), and give it to BCs that don't do very much (such as Cool, which replaces Charisma: see the 3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ Turns, Movement, & Initiative thread).

2) For the sake of easy conversion from V&V™ 2.1, preserve the same BCs and BC progression as in 3.0. The renaming of Charisma is the sole exception, necessary in order to turn it into a stat that can take over Initiative from Agility (again, see the 3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ Turns, Movement, & Initiative thread).

3) Include the new Saving Throw numbers from the Revised Saving Throws and Task System (http://monkeyhousegames.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Saves-Tasks.pdf). The new task system eliminates the need for special 'detect hidden' and 'detect danger' numbers; such things will now be handled by Intelligence saves. The V&V™ 2.1 Accuracy modifier from Agility is also obsolete, since rolls to hit with physical attacks will now be Agility-based task rolls (see the upcoming 3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ combat thread). Likewise, 2.1 reaction modifiers are going away in favor of Cool-based task rolls.

4) As part of the effort to reduce the effectiveness of Agility, remove the V&V™ 2.1 Damage Modifier from Agility. For the moment, the Damage Modifier from Intelligence has also been removed. However, it may be better to leave that in to make sure that Intelligence remains appealing. This will need to be balanced against the impact of the 3.0 inventing rules, which have not been nailed down yet.

5) In keeping with 3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ Abilities design goal #6, eliminate interactions between BCs. Strength alone now determines Carry Cap and Basic HTH damage. Endurance alone now determines Healing Rate. Hit Points are no longer calculated by multiplying Basic Hits by four numbers associated with BCs. Instead, the relevant BCs now each contribute a single whole number. Simply add these numbers together to determine the character's Hit Points.

© 2011 Monkey House Games

-Jeff

Jeff
Administrator
Post Re: V&V 3.0™ Basic Characteristics
on: April 25, 2011, 13:05

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 25, 2011, 13:52

Jeff, the chart is a little hard to read in some spots. Under the HTH Damage and Initiative column, it looks like 21-23 is a d10-1 (where is simply 1d10?)

And 39-41 looks like it is d10-d12, and 48-50 looks like it is 2d8-d10. 15-17 is hard to read too; is it d6+1?

Also, what about BCs over 50?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

calebhero
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 25, 2011, 13:56

First off I want to say I really like these changes. I really think it meets the design goals and really makes all the BCs important and with addition replacing multiplication, the math crunchiness is lessened if not completely gone.

Now I have to react to the impact of conversion.

WOW, Weight is not a factor in Carrying Capacity anymore! Did I read that correctly?

I have quickly scanned the Strength change impact to my Megalopolis PBeM game.
http://vav-megalopolis-pbem.blogspot.com/
I have two PCs which are going to be greatly impacted by this.

Currently they are at same HtH damage of 2d8.

DarkStar, used Armor to up his weight, has strength of 21 he will drop from 2d8 to d10+1 (if I am reading the chart correctly).

Emerald Dragon, did not increase his weight, has strength of 41 he will increase from 2d8 to d10+d12

I admit I like the change but it will provide a conversion problem for all the Bricks characters that used Weight (like Bull of the Crushers) to maximize their carrying capacity and HtH. Is weight going to become a cosmetic number now? To me it has always been the “sixth BC”.

calebhero
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 25, 2011, 14:04

Quote from Jeff on April 25, 2011, 12:57
Design Goals & Solutions:

Hit Points are no longer calculated by multiplying Basic Hits by four numbers associated with BCs. Instead, the relevant BCs now each contribute a single whole number. Simply add these numbers together to determine the character's Hit Points.

Does the Basic Hits number disappear or Does Weight contribute a number which is added to determine Hit Points as well?

I always liked that Weight mattered in the game. As it set Basic Hits and was modifier to Agility. Is that going away?

psychopand-
a
High-Powered Superhero
on: April 25, 2011, 14:10

I like all the changes, with the new Basic Hits calculation and Carrying Cap being my favorite of these. I was hoping character's weight would remain a factor in Carrying Cap, but it isn't the most realistic mechanic. One example would be "The Blob" (Fred Dukes) who weighs a lot, but has very little lifting strength. Overall these changes look like they are going to greatly streamline the game.

calebhero
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 25, 2011, 14:15

I agree that weight doesn't always directly correlate to how much you lift but it does have a correlation to toughness. All combat sports still use weight as the measure for setting fighting classes so it does have relevance.

That is why I always like how it factored into Carrying Capacity, Basic Hits, and Agility Modifier. It did have an over impact into a character's toughness.

calebhero
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 25, 2011, 14:34

Here is a thought.

Take the old Basic Hits calculation less the standard Basic Hit of 4 and use it as a modifier to ST and Hits.

So for DarkStar the formula would be 750/50=15-4=11. He would get +11 to his ST for a new score of 32 (BC of 21+11) and his HTH returns to 2d8.

DarkStar would also get a +11 to Hits of 29 for a new score of 40. I don’t know if that matters too much. The additional points would mean one to two more rounds he could go against Behemoth

The old Agility modifier chart for Weight could be retained or a new one created.

Jeff
Administrator
on: April 25, 2011, 14:43

Quote from Majestic on April 25, 2011, 13:52
Jeff, the chart is a little hard to read in some spots.

The forum software is shrinking the table to make it fit. Sorry about that! Right-click on the table and select 'View Image'. That will give you a full-sized view of the table. At least, that's how its done in Firefox 😉

The table in the final game will go at least to 100. I figured this would be enough to give you guys the idea.

-Jeff

DSumner
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 25, 2011, 14:45

Quote from Majestic on April 25, 2011, 13:52
Jeff, the chart is a little hard to read in some spots. Under the HTH Damage and Initiative column, it looks like 21-23 is a d10-1 (where is simply 1d10?)

And 39-41 looks like it is d10-d12, and 48-50 looks like it is 2d8-d10. 15-17 is hard to read too; is it d6+1?

I believe all of those are "+" , not "-".

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 >> Last
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.058 seconds.