Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: 3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ Turns, Movement, & Initiative
Goliath
Superhero
Post Re: V&V 3.0™ Turns, Movement, & Initiative
on: April 27, 2011, 03:38

I also love the stat, hate the name. Presence is awesome, Composure is also good.

Justice
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 27, 2011, 08:35

You know Jeff's such an honest guy, he tells you right up front where he stands and why he makes such and such decisions.

So I don't know if he will take this as a compromise or even deceitful...

...but if the Stat is abbreviated to 2 letters like so many are [ST, EN, AG, IN] or just ONE [S,E, A, I], then he can call it Cool in the opening description, but use CO or C for almost all of the rest of the rulebook.

We who like another name could then call it 'Composure' or 'Confidence' or 'Command' or 'Core' and no one would be uncomfortable - it may even give the stat name time to grow on us.

But I only say this to find a middle while we let Jeff handle the bigger issues.

We V&V-ers are pretty experienced at coming up with our own versions of any rules we think need changing, anyway. 😉

peace
justice

bswainbank
High-Powered Superhero
on: April 27, 2011, 20:31

[b]1A)
Reduce turn length from 15 seconds to 10 seconds - reducing average movement from 30" to 20".

Have you thought about not having a fixed length to the turns at all?

The action can move at comic book speed. Things take as long as the GM says they take. And if a hero and a villain want to exchange banter between phases 24 and 25 then the rules wouldn't discourage them.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 10, 2011, 16:17

Here's a power I wrote up a few weeks ago that deals with initiative. For "fast" characters that would not necessarily have a high COOL there could be a power called HEIGHTENED INITIATIVE.

COST DICE
5 1d4
10 1d10
15 2d8
20 1d10+1d12
25 1d8+1d20
30 1d12+1d20+1
35 2d20
40 2d20+3

These dice are rolled in addition to the roll you get from COOL. Spiderman, for example, might have a normal COOL which gives him a base initiative roll of 1d4. With 35 points in Heightened Initiative he gets to add 2d20 to the initiative roll (total 2d20+1d4).

Rusty001
Street-Level Hero
on: July 9, 2011, 10:42

Jeff,

The one thing I really liked about the original V&V movement was the multiplier, 4.4, that allowed conversions. I can see why you want to reduce the turn length but if your going to do that why not reduce it to a 6 second turn. That way there's ten turns in a minute.

Also, the idea of allowing characters to spend PR to increase their speed or movement in a turn is a good one but I wouldn't set it at 2. Set it a 1 per inch moved up to a maximum of double their normal movement speed. That way the character needs to do something they'll be able to. This of course is assuming that you don't take away the ability to spend 2 PR to do a facing change

Jeff
Administrator
on: July 9, 2011, 11:23

Quote from Rusty001 on July 9, 2011, 10:42
Jeff,

The one thing I really liked about the original V&V movement was the multiplier, 4.4, that allowed conversions.

In 3.0, you'll divide a character's move by 1.47 to find their mph. Or multiply mph by 1.47 to find inches of movement.

I can see why you want to reduce the turn length but if your going to do that why not reduce it to a 6 second turn. That way there's ten turns in a minute.

What is the advantage to having ten turns in a minute, instead of six?

Also, the idea of allowing characters to spend PR to increase their speed or movement in a turn is a good one but I wouldn't set it at 2. Set it a 1 per inch moved up to a maximum of double their normal movement speed. That way the character needs to do something they'll be able to. This of course is assuming that you don't take away the ability to spend 2 PR to do a facing change

The proposed PR cost of 2 would *double* the character's maximum movement, not just add 2 inches to it.

-Jeff

Rusty001
Street-Level Hero
on: July 9, 2011, 14:12

One of the easiest advantages I can give is figuring out how far someone can move in a minute. If I've done the math and have my movement rate, lets say that's 15 in a 10 second turn then I can move 15*6 in a minute or 75. Not hard to do the math but you have to think.

If the multiplier is 10 though all I have to do is add a 0 onto the end of my movement rate and that is how far I'm moving in a minute. 15 would be 150.

Of course that was simple numbers its a lot easier to see with numbers that aren't so easy like say 37. If I have a character that moves at 37 in a 10 second turn then I know that the character will be able to move 370 inches in about 1 minute 40 seconds. If I have a character that's moving 37 inches in a 6 second turn I know that in one minute the character will have traveled 370 inches, 185 inches in 30 seconds...

It just makes it easier to figure out how long things take realistically because a multiplier of 10 is easier to use.

The other reason to switch to a 6 second turn is because it's more realistic. How many times can a gun be fired in 10 seconds or six seconds. A six second turn is more realistic if your only going to allow one action per character, per turn. Although honestly I think you should rethink that for heightened speed. Yes, that power can be extremely over powered but if your moving so fast that everyone else around you is standing still it makes no logical sense to limit their number of actions to 1 per six second turn. I'd set a value and if the characters movement breaks that threshold then they get an extra action, or make character spend movement to take an action. Just came to me.

Instead of changing the movement calculations keep it the same. STR + END + AGI. Then the first action cost 15. So a normal human with a 10 in each stat can take one action and move 15"

then make it exponentional for each additional action.
1st Action cost 15"
2nd Action cost 150"
3rd Action cost 1,500"
4rth Action cost 15,000"
5th Action cost 150,000"
6th Action cost 1,500,000"

Okay that might be a bit much but if your going to make a cosmic level game then a movement of 1 million would be cosmic. The other reason I'd set it so high is because it sounds like you want to make it uncommon for characters to have more than one action per turn which I can understand. There's nothing like a speedster ruining a game for the other players, of course that's why I always tried to have them get triped or something. That was always fun. Velocity damage when their traveling at full speed, oh yeah.

Anyway, whether you keep the 10 second turn or go down to the 6 building a way for character traveling faster than normal should be incorporated into the new game although as I'm sure you know it will have to be balanced so other players don't feel left out.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.163 seconds.