Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 >> Last
Author Topic: 3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ Abilities
Jeff
Administrator
Post 3.0 / Mighty Protectors™ Abilities
on: April 6, 2011, 11:13

Design Goals & Solutions:

1) There was only one ‘power level’ (sort of vaguely middle-of-the-road X-Men level) in V&V™ 2.1. Improve this by offering each power at a range of different power levels.

2) The V&V™ rules state that, "The GM should allow modification of powers at his own whim or by the player’s request", and "In many cases it is advisable to modify one or more powers - perhaps drastically - in order to create an interesting set of abilities. When modified, powers shouldn’t be made either more or less useful, except for the reasons stated above, or perhaps as part of a give-and-take situation where one power is diminished in order to increase another." (p.3) However, very little guidance is provided to assist the GM in adjudicating these kinds of adjustments, apart from some rules of thumb presented on p. 7. Address this by assigning simple point values to the new 'power levels', which provides a means of quantifying power improvements (and reductions). Introduce 'in-between' power levels, with in-between point values, in order to make this system a bit more fine-grained. Reducing a power's levels to 0 eliminates that power completely. Furthermore, include obvious customization options (along with their point costs or refunds) within each power description - and provide a range of general customization options that can be applied to a wide range of powers.

3) The fact that not all V&V™ 2.1 powers are equally desirable exacerbates the problem that players can receive characters with wildly different ability levels. It also made the "Choosing Your Own Powers" option rule on p. 3 a bit tricky to use. Address this by improving the desirability of these 'lesser' powers. Some lesser powers may become 'low powered' versions of another power, instead of getting improved. Example: Life Support and Water Breathing could become lower-powered levels of the Adaptation power.

4) V&V™ 2.1 powers that involve a die roll to see how much you got (such as Animal/Plant Powers where the number of powers received is random, Armor with its random ADR, Heightened characteristics, Heightened Expertise, Heightened Speed, Invulnerability, Natural Weaponry, etc.) further exacerbate the problem that players can receive characters with wildly different ability levels. Address this by spreading the 'different amounts' of such powers among the power's various Levels. Example: Heightened Strength yields +10 at Low power, +20 at Standard power, +15 at the level in-between Low and Standard, etc.

5) Several V&V™ 2.1 powers require you to create a completely new ability from whole cloth, while providing essentially no guidance as to how to go about this in a fair and balanced manner. Where possible (for example, Vehicles and Pets), provide complete construction guidelines. For powers that are too open-ended to have simple construction guidelines (for example, Body Power and Psionics), provide at minimum a set of pre-designed options with extensive guidance on how to create additional abilities.

6) Some V&V™ 2.1 powers interact with one another (or with high scores in certain Basic Characteristics) in ways that produce ridiculously inflated results. Examples: Heightened Speed with Ice Powers, and Heightened Agility with Size Change: Larger. Solution: eliminate these kinds of interactions between stats and powers. Inflated levels of any power should now come from the campaign's Power Level, and from shifting levels between powers - not just by 'accident'.

7) Regardless of these design goals, V&V 3.0™ characters created at the ‘Standard’ power level must still feel about as powerful as the average character generated under the 2.1 rules.

[bMighty Protectors™ Abilities:[/b]

I will post additional sample power writeups over the next few days. For now, here's an example of how the V&V 2.1 "give-and-take ... where one power is diminished in order to increase another" will work in 3.0, including writeups for Heightened Agility and Power Blast:

Ben is generating a Standard power level character. Among his randomly rolled powers are Heightened Agility and Power Blast. Here's the way those two powers are presented in the rules. The numbers in ( ) are the point values:

Heightened Agility:
The character gains a bonus to their Agility score. Heightened Agility has no power requirement, and merely endows the character with whatever increased Agility score they achieve (and all of the advantages thereof):

Power Level: AG Bonus:
(5) +5
Low (10) +10
(15) +15
Standard (20) +20
(25) +25
High (30) +30
(35) +35
Cosmic (40) +40
(45) +45
etc.

Power Blast:
The character can project powerful energy bolts. This is an Energy damage attack, with a range of (ST+EN)/2" and a PR of 1 per use.

Power Level: Damage Roll:
(5) 2d4
Low (10) 2d6
(15) 2d8
Standard (20) 2d10
(25) 2d12
High (30) 2d8+d10
(35) 3d10
Cosmic (40) d10+2d12
(45) 3d12+1
etc.

Power Blast can be used as a Counterblast against other attacks of the same Damage Type.

* Power Blast Option: Alternate Damage Type
Not all Power Blasts inflict Energy damage. You may choose any other different Damage Type when you take a Power Blast, but some Damage Types carry a cost:

Power Blast Damage Type: Cost Adjustment:
Psychic +5
Gas +10

Let's suppose Ben wants his character to be more agile, and less of a heavy hitter with his Power Blast. He can simply shift points between them, adding 5 points to his Agility for every 5 points he takes out of his Power Blast. The GM should still review these kinds of adjustments, but he no longer has to worry what's a fair exchange rate for reducing Power Blast from 2d10 to 2d8.

Note: I strongly suspect that there will need to be a 'cap' on abilities, so that characters of a certain power level are restricted from increasing any of their powers beyond a certain point above that power level. However, the exact place where that cap should go has not yet been determined.

© 2011 Monkey House Games

---

P.S.: If anybody can tell me how to include tables or at least TABS in my posts, I'd really appreciate it!

-Jeff

bswainbank
High-Powered Superhero
Post Re: V&V 3.0™ Powers
on: April 6, 2011, 12:00

Sounds good. Can a power be reduced to 0 to boost another power. Can I ditch the Power Blast completely and get +40 Agility?

I would recommend yes, you can ditch powers, with the caveat that the GM has final approval of all adjustments.

Jeff
Administrator
on: April 6, 2011, 12:03

Quote from bswainbank on April 6, 2011, 12:00
Sounds good. Can a power be reduced to 0 to boost another power. Can I ditch the Power Blast completely and get +40 Agility?

I would recommend yes, you can ditch powers, with the caveat that the GM has final approval of all adjustments.

Yes, you can free up all of a power's levels by ditching it completely. But see also the 'Note' at the end of the Powers post, about how there are probably going to have to be caps of some kind.

-Jeff

Addendum:
I've added the phrase, "Reducing a power's levels to 0 eliminates that power completely" to the initial post in this thread.

calebhero
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 6, 2011, 12:14

Is Damage Type going to be further discuss in this thread or will it have its own?

Goule
Street-Level Hero
on: April 6, 2011, 13:07

Look great but I think that the dmg roll might be more streamlined simply by changing :
"Standard (20) 2d10
(25) 2d12
High (30) 2d8+d10
(35) 3d10
Cosmic (40) d10+2d12
(45) 3d12+1"

to :
"Standard (20) 2d10
(25) 2d12
High (30) 3d10
(35) 3d12
Cosmic (40) 4d10
(45) 4d12"

no?

Jeff
Administrator
on: April 6, 2011, 13:38

Quote from calebhero on April 6, 2011, 12:14
Is Damage Type going to be further discuss in this thread or will it have its own?

That's really something for the upcoming Combat thread.

-Jeff

Jeff
Administrator
on: April 6, 2011, 13:43

Quote from Goule on April 6, 2011, 13:07
Look great but I think that the dmg roll might be more streamlined simply by changing :
"Standard (20) 2d10
(25) 2d12
High (30) 2d8+d10
(35) 3d10
Cosmic (40) d10+2d12
(45) 3d12+1"

to :
"Standard (20) 2d10
(25) 2d12
High (30) 3d10
(35) 3d12
Cosmic (40) 4d10
(45) 4d12"

no?

Mine:
2d10 is an average of 11 damage.
2d12 is an average of 13 damage (+2 points)
2d8+d10 is an average of 14.5 damage (+1.5 points)
3d10 is an average of 16.5 damage (+2 points)
d10+2d12 is an average of 18.5 damage (+2 points)
3d12+1 3d12 is an average of 20.5 damage (+2 points)

Yours:
2d10 is an average of 11 damage.
2d12 is an average of 13 damage (+2 points)
3d10 is an average of 16.5 damage (+3.5 points)
3d12 is an average of 19.5 damage (+3 points)
4d10 is an average of 22 damage (+2.5 points)
4d12 is an average of 26 damage (+4 points)

Mine's a smoother progression, which is what I was after 🙂

-Jeff

Goule
Street-Level Hero
on: April 6, 2011, 13:54

I see your point...

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 6, 2011, 16:43

I really like where you guys are going with this, Jeff. Let me also add that it's really awesome to see the transparency that you are using as far as the design goals. This allows the fan base (who have a lot of experience with RPGs and this game in particular) to see WHY certain changes are being made.

I've been involved in thousands of hours of playtesting and design work. In design our method of making changes, then letting the playtesters try things out and then giving us feedback, meant that - by the time things were finally revealed to the public (often months later and after many changes and iterations) - there was often a lot of negative reactions, even when the change implemented was a good one for the game and a necessary one to implement balance. By being open with the process (and showing why changes are happening), you allow for nearly instantaneous feedback and analysis, but can point to the design goals when somebody thinks differently. It's brilliantly executed, and - considering that everyone here is probably just interested in having the best game possible - a win/win for the game and it's fans! 😀

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Dracos
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 6, 2011, 16:44

I asked that same question in Geneva and was happy with the fact that Jeff is really doing due diligence with all the math, without us having to be Physicist to keep up.

If I may ask - How are you handling Powers like Transmutation, Illusions and Body Power, Mutant Power with this point cost thing?

Don't forget folks even though there's alot of point swapping going on you still roll powers (and stats? I still like playing yourself) random

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 >> Last
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 1.535 seconds.