Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Questions on How and Why to use the Link Ability Modifier
Midnight
Superhero
Post Questions on How and Why to use the Link Ability Modifier
on: December 3, 2018, 20:37

Hello all:

I hope this hasn't been covered to death. I looked but I couldn't find much, and even then what I didn't really apply:(

In The Mighty Protectors the Link Ability Modifier puzzles me. Can somebody explain its utility to me? Why would you use it and what circumstances is it beneficial.

Maybe I'm not understanding Ability activation properly, and that's Impeding my understanding of the Linked modifier?

Examples would be great If you don’t mind.

Midnight

galderon
Street-Level Hero
Post Re: Questions on How and Why to use the Link Ability Modifier
on: December 5, 2018, 11:27

My favorite example of a linked Ability and Weakness is Density Change: Density Increase, and Physical Disability: Slow. The hero can turn into a heavy, dense form, but he is slower than he would normally be for his Characteristics.

An example with two Abilities is a hero with Size Change: Smaller and Flight. Size Change: Smaller is Persistent and therefore must be active to use other Abilities in the group. She can become small and then choose whether or not to activate Flight, but cannot fly without being small. Makes sense.

The only issue with Linked is when every ability in the set is Voluntary. This hero can activate the group, and then choose to pay only the Abilities he wants to use, essentially unlinking them. For example, you could link Non-Corporealness and Flight. Technically, this hero can choose to be non-corporeal, or fly, or both, exactly as if they were not Linked.

I guess this is just something to keep an eye out for as a GM. If a player creates a hero with a Linked group where every Ability is Voluntary, it probably makes sense to have the player indicate the "main" Ability in the group that has to be activated in order for any other Ability in the group to be active. In the above example, perhaps the hero can turn into wind, and therefore can fly if and only if he is non-corporeal.

What do you guys think? Am I reading the rules correctly?

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Questions on How and Why to use the Link Ability Modifier
on: December 5, 2018, 15:57

I used the Linked modifier in my write-up of the bronze-age Colossus. It covers his additional Abilities plus a Weakness. You can check it out at: https://mpwriteups.blogspot.com/p/new-x-men.html

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 1.854 seconds.