Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does it mean when a Race gets 5 Fewer CPs per Core Ability?
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post What does it mean when a Race gets 5 Fewer CPs per Core Ability?
on: October 17, 2018, 20:18

I'm making a Silicoid, for instance. When it says "Silicoids get (5) fewer CPs per Core Ability", does that mean?

A) That, even though my 150 CP character would ordinarily have an Ability Cap of 30, for this character the Ability Cap is 25?

or

B) When that character chooses a Flame Blast of 20 CP (ordinarily 2d10) he spends the 20 CP, but only gets 15 CP worth (2d8) for that 20 CP?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

drl2
Street-Level Hero
Post Re: What does it mean when a Race gets 5 Fewer CPs per Core Ability?
on: October 18, 2018, 09:12

As I understand it the limitation is applied only to the initial point allocation when creating the character. So for instance in my campaign which uses 100-point characters, each character starts with 60 points dedicated to the base stats, then the remaining 40 get divided up 10 each among 4 powers. So for my daughter's mostly-randomly-rolled character, she went through the "roll for 6 powers, choose your favorite 4" process. As a human character, her power descriptions would have looked something like this:

CP Power
10 Heightened AG
10 Shaping
10 Willpower
10 Vibe blast
(Total: 40)

BUT, she really wanted to be a Saurid, which gives her 20 points worth of claws, speed, and armor, so to balance out those points she had to lose 5 each from her non-species-specific powers:

CP Power
5 Heightened AG
5 Shaping
5 Willpower
5 Vibe blast
5 Claws
5 Speed
10 Armor

(Total: 40)

No need to muck around with ability caps or "hidden" costs - it's just about the initial point allocation.

My Gaming Blog

Jeff
Administrator
on: October 18, 2018, 14:42

drl2's interpretation is correct.

-Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: October 19, 2018, 00:32

Thanks, guys!

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 1.06 seconds.