Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ability with no Actual Ability, just a Modifier?
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Ability with no Actual Ability, just a Modifier?
on: October 10, 2018, 23:59

I'm trying to convert a gadget that allows members of a team to all wear contacts that protect (and this is ALL they do) against their teammate's Light/Flash attack.

Being as they don't really do anything else, I was thinking of making them super cheap (1 CP) by doing the following:

HEIGHTENED SENSES: Protected Sense, from Light Control: Glare against Visible Light (+5), Gear (-5).

Obviously this would round up to 1 CP, the minimum.

Is this allowable?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Jeff
Administrator
Post Re: Ability with no Actual Ability, just a Modifier?
on: October 11, 2018, 10:37

Yes. BUT this sort of thing is also potentially abusable, so the GM should feel free to disallow it if they see it being abused.

-Jeff

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: October 11, 2018, 11:12

P.18 "Characters must pay a minimum of (1) CP for any Ability or BC, after all the cost adjustments for its Modifiers are applied."

Given this text your example seems perfectly legal.

However P.84 states "The final cost of an Ability may not be reduced below 1."

I'm not sure if this means that an Ability that is reduced to less than 1 CP defaults to a cost of 1 CP or if you simply cannot reduce an Ability's cost below 1.

Care to weigh in, Jeff?

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: October 11, 2018, 11:12

Sorry, I started writing a reply and then walked away for a couple of hours before submitting it. Looks like Jeff has already answered this, Majestic.

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: October 11, 2018, 11:15

I find a great way to "share" abilities is to have someone with a Base or a Vehicle buy them. If you assign the Gear modifier/trait to an Ability tied to a Base or Vehicle that makes it usable by others. Here are the specifics from P.82.

Vehicle Systems which have the Gear Modifier are takeable and
usable by passengers (or by anyone who gains access) instead of
operating as part of the Vehicle. They are also breakable
according to the normal rules for Gear. The system spaces
assigned to such a system are essentially storage space for the
Gear, with whatever access doors the character wishes to assign.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: October 11, 2018, 22:07

Cool. Thanks, all. And yes, having an entire group sharing a Base (with some Gear then shared with the members) seems a smart way to go!

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.764 seconds.