Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Ability! INERTIA
Jeff
Administrator
Post New Ability! INERTIA
on: September 19, 2018, 11:32

New Ability!

INERTIA
The character can reduce the movement rates of other characters and vehicles. This is a unique Voluntary attack ability, with a range of STx2” and a PR of 1 per use.

CPs Inertia Divisor
(2.5) 1.5
(5) 2
(7.5) 3
(10) 4
(12.5) 6
(15) 8
(17.5) 12
(20) 16
etc.

Divide all of the target’s movement and acceleration rates by the ability’s Divisor, rounding down. This effect lasts for 6 rounds.

Example: Resistor hits American Woman with Inertia that has a Divisor of 12. American Woman’s Move of 17” becomes (17/12)=1.42”, which rounds down to 1”. Her 48” Flight acceleration and 728” top speed become (48/12)=4” and (728/12)=60.67” (rounding down to 60”) respectively.

The character may Push, adding the extra Power spent to their Inertia Divisor. Targets may not roll with an Inertia attack.

• Inertia Modifier: Limited Movement Types
There is a (-5) cost adjustment if the Inertia only affects one movement medium, such as ‘through the air’ (Flight, leaping, etc.), ‘on the ground’ (ground move, crawling, etc.). The movement abilities of a character leaving an affected medium are still affected on the turn when they move out (for example, a flying character standing in a muddy pit flys at a reduced speed on the first turn when they’re flying out of it).

greycrusad-
er
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: New Ability! INERTIA
on: September 24, 2018, 13:03

Neat. Was this named after the short-lived Impulse/Bart Allen villain?

(Obviously its also a basic physical property, but I thought it might also have a comic book reference).

All my best.

greycrusad-
er
Cosmic Superhero
on: September 24, 2018, 13:03

Neat. Was this named after the short-lived Impulse/Bart Allen villain?

(Obviously its also a basic physical property, but I thought it might also have a comic book reference).

All my best.

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: September 24, 2018, 15:22

Jeff,

I have a few questions:

Can you share some design insights with us (what inspired this ability, etc)?

What damage/effect type is it? Entropy, Other, etc.

Will there be a Save or Recovery Roll in the final version (assuming this isn't)?

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: September 29, 2018, 18:49

Im rereading the original Squadron Supreme, and toward the end of the original 12 issue story there is a female character called Inertia that appears to have this very power.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Jeff
Administrator
on: October 8, 2018, 19:59

Quote from Hireling on September 24, 2018, 15:22
Jeff,

I have a few questions:

Can you share some design insights with us (what inspired this ability, etc)?

What damage/effect type is it? Entropy, Other, etc.

Will there be a Save or Recovery Roll in the final version (assuming this isn't)?

The 'inspiration' was my City of Heroes MMO-based campaign. One of the abilities that characters in that MMO could take, were 'caltrops' which slowed down the movement rate of opponents within the area of effect. And I realized that MP didn't really have anything like that.

It hasn't got a damage type, because it's not damage.

And no, there is no save or recovery roll.

-Jeff

drl2
Street-Level Hero
on: October 9, 2018, 07:42

I needed this power for an NPC based loosely on one of my old CoH characters as well - a dark/dark (defender or controller, I can't remember which). I think you initially posted it on FB a month or two back and it's been very useful.

My Gaming Blog

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: October 9, 2018, 11:45

Quote from Jeff on October 8, 2018, 19:59

The 'inspiration' was my City of Heroes MMO-based campaign. One of the abilities that characters in that MMO could take, were 'caltrops' which slowed down the movement rate of opponents within the area of effect. And I realized that MP didn't really have anything like that.

It hasn't got a damage type, because it's not damage.

And no, there is no save or recovery roll.

-Jeff

Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 1.443 seconds.