Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Duplication
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Duplication
on: August 9, 2018, 22:24

My son is starting up a new MP campaign, and another friend has made a character with Duplication.

It isn't really clear that - after the first turn in which the character splits into multiple duplicates - if all of the characters then each get to take actions, all at the same time.

It's even hard to articulate. Let me try to be clearer.

The PC named Duplicator splits into three different forms, total, on Turn #1. For this example, let's call them Duplicator #1, Duplicator #2, and Duplicator #3.

On Turn #2, the character rolls initiative and gets a 7. When it is Phase #7, does Duplicator #1 get an attack, followed by an attack by Duplicator #2, followed by Duplicator #3?

That's how me and the player are interpreting it, but it does seem really powerful. This character (built for 150 points) will, I think, be extremely deadly. She can split into three forms, each has a Defense of 8 (so will be hard to hit), has a base chance to hit of 25, and each of them has four arms (ambidextrous), meaning the character will have an insane amount of attacks that can be done in one turn.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

celestiale-
ditor
High-Powered Superhero
Post Re: Duplication
on: August 9, 2018, 23:29

I built a character Duplication-3, Super Speed-2 (PR=0).
Nine attacks per round. I completely missed the opportunity of using two weapons 🙂

ADA-MAN
Street-Level Hero
on: August 10, 2018, 02:10

Each Duplicate rolls his own initiative. Treat each one of them as independent characters. Once they appear they get to move only. Next turn they roll initiative.

celestiale-
ditor
High-Powered Superhero
on: August 10, 2018, 10:22

Sounds pretty clear this character is built to be a "threshing machine," able to wreck havoc in melee. As GM, "minions" will be your friend to give thid player a way to enjoy this build, withot stealing too much limelight from other PCs, who can focus on the main villain.

Ranged opponents who use cover, and area effect attacks, are the bane of both Wolverine and Spiderman 🙂

Also, non-combat challenges, and story points, will be key to keeping that campaign alive.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: August 10, 2018, 13:03

Yeah, and keep in mind this character can teleport (12") as well. She's an assassin, who will be challenging to stop (even for the heroes). He made her as a reformed villain/assassin who is trying to reform.

He built her weakness so that once she takes significant damage (or if one of the duplicates is even knocked out), the others are hell-bent for revenge, and difficult to convince to stop.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: August 15, 2018, 11:00

My son had the first session of his rebooted campaign last night, using MP for the first time. He had a number of players, too, many that I believe were new to V&V.

I understand the 'whirling dervish' assassin was pretty ridiculous. With a base chance to hit of 25, it meant that being completely in the dark (imposing a -6) made it tough for her to miss.

On one turn I guess she made 11 attacks (different targets) and hit on 9 of them!

The player was talking about toning her down on his own after the game; it sounds like she put the other PCs to shame.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.915 seconds.