Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help: Fireworks-Themed Character
dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
Post Help: Fireworks-Themed Character
on: July 4, 2018, 10:13

I wonder if anyone might offer some suggestions on a character concept for a fireworks-themed super hero or villain?

I am spurred to ask because last night I watched a documentary on my local PBS station about the annual fireworks festival held in Tultepec, Mexico. It's the city in Mexico where people hand-make most of the fireworks used in Mexico. The locals themselves who make the fireworks are well aware how dangerous/deadly it is. But they seem to be 'trapped' by economic realities. So while their annual fireworks festival may mostly be a crazy spectacle for visitors/tourists, for the people of Tultepec themselves, the event also has a religious aspect, celebrating their patron saint of fireworks in hopes of getting his protection.

The most spectacular/wildly dangerous aspect of the festival seems to have been inspired by the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain. Local craftsmen make giant, movable parade floats in the shape of bulls. Some bulls looked 10 feet high and 20 feet long on TV, to me. Huge. On the designated night, they form a parade and march through the town, streets lined with pedestrians, and then the bulls explode with fireworks, right in front of willing, knowing spectators who surround them intentionally - hoping to be enveloped in the shooting/falling sparks.

This made such an impression on me that I began thinking of a super powered character inspired by all this. But I got no further than a provisional name: Santo Peligro (intended to translate as 'Holy Danger,' according to my very rudimentary Spanish).

Any further ideas?

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Help: Fireworks-Themed Character
on: July 5, 2018, 06:39

How about a Don Quixote-like hero? A Mexican who has a noble sensibility, someone who demands justice, but has begun to lose his mind, for whatever reasons. Or perhaps he's more like Big Daddy of Kick-Ass fame (also crazy but in a far more brutal way).

In any event, he's a hero with the Physical Training Origin Type. His four Core Abilities include: Arsenal, Companion, Natural Weaponry (Wrestling?), and Grapnel (lasso?).

The Arsenal holds his Firework Bombs, including: Smoke Bomb (Darkness Control), Explosive (Area Power Blast), Flash Bomb (Light Control B) Flash), Sleep Gas (Paralysis Ray w/Unconscious and Area mods), Screamer (Sonic Abilities C) Sonic Boom) and a Stink Bomb (Emotion Control: Disgust with Single Emotion, Area and Different Damage Type: Bio modifiers)

This hero has been fighting against the cartels, blowing-up their drug labs and beating-up their thugs.

Possible additional hero names: El Diablo Loco, the crazy devil and El Angel Loco, the crazy angel.

dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 5, 2018, 10:09

Fantastic ideas!

I particularly like the modelling of fireworks as powers/weapons in game terms!

I also really like the cartel angle. In my mind, I was really intrigued by the Catholic/religious protector aspect of the Tultepec festival, combined with the likelihood of personal harm if you got right up close to the bulls, as opposed to standing away (like most people) at a sensible/respectful distance. I'd love to create a character who personifies those aspects. The "fight against the cartels" andlge seems to fit perfectly with that. Also, the idea that one of the 'fireworks powers' would be a smoke bomb/darkness control, would also seem to enable the character to take on a bunch of gangsters simultaneously.

I also like the other name suggestions! But I have personally retired the word "loco" from my own heroes and villains. Back when my family first moved to California 35 years ago from the Washington, DC area, my new CA friends played Champions, not V&V. They had this recurring villain in their game called "Borracho y Loco" (i.e. Drunk and Crazy). The name came from a local band popular with teenagers in San Diego at the time. The character concept was basically a hybrid of Wolverine and the Tasmanian Devil (from the old WB cartoons). His villainy and powers (bladed whirlwind out of control) were 'activated' when he got drunk. He wasn't my creation, but he was a great villain character.

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: July 5, 2018, 13:44

Great ideas, BK! I can't wait to see where this goes, Dan.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 5, 2018, 15:34

I thought of this when I read this article from today's news.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 6, 2018, 15:45

That's it!

Tragic. Watching the PBS documentary, it showed how this village/town, whose people, a generation ago, were subsistence farmers, are now engaged in 'amateur' fireworks production, to make more money. At one point, a worker explains why it's so dangerous. He casually said something like, "We're not chemists. We add a handful of this and a handful of that..."

In response, the natural rhetorical question is, "Why not bring in some professionals, and adopt some more stringent safety measures?" But the likely answer is that if they did so, they would put a lot of local villagers out of work, because either the production would become too expensive to make a profit and/or because the locals themselves don't have that specialized knowledge of chemistry and physics and the like. The elevated risk is a necessary non-cash cost of having the job, it seems.

It seemed to me like a situation that could incubate a hero or a villain, fictional and super powered, or not.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.448 seconds.