Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Building a Robot
RhinoDino1-
Street-Level Hero
Post Building a Robot
on: June 28, 2018, 13:13

I rolled up "tech construct" - for species so I'm building a robot character. My question is this: How best to simulate a robot? I've added some adaptions and taken the unliving weakness with modifiers. See below:

ADAPTATION: Asphyxiation (5), Low Pressue (5), Low temp (5), Rad (5), Starvation (2.5) Poison (2.5), Venom (2.5)

UNLIVING: 0% Self Repair Capability (-10), Ability Loss chance per hit (-5)

I've dumped a lot of CPs into adaptions. This violates the ability cap for a low powered hero, which this is. Any ideas, or is it fine to have a robot be affected by poison/venom? It seems weird to me. How are others simulating a robot type character?

Thanks!

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
Post Re: Building a Robot
on: June 28, 2018, 16:18

That's a tough question. I think in this case it comes down to what your GM will allow. As for poison/venom--those are Biochemical sources of damage, and could potentially damage certain parts of a robot--wire insulation, hoses, gaskets.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 1, 2018, 00:37

Yeah, you could easily make an ordinary robot be vulnerable to low pressure, too. Perhaps those same hoses or wires or gaskets or gears can get damaged when the pressure is low enough. Down the road (once your caps are higher), the CPs could be invested to make it space-worthy (and able to handle low pressure).

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: July 2, 2018, 11:20

I like your take on it, Majestic. It could start out as very low tech, and get better through upgrades (CP gains)

RhinoDino1-
Street-Level Hero
on: July 2, 2018, 20:13

Thanks, all, good ideas, and the discussion kick-started my imagination a little bit. I removed the starvation, venom, and poison, so I could keep under the ability cap for a 100 CP build.. I wanted this character to be able to withstand the vacuum of space, so I kept the adaptations for that. Regarding the starvation, I thought this robot character needs certain oils, hydraulic fluids, recharging, etc at regular intervals or systems start to shutdown and operations become difficult. That is how I have justified the missing adaptation to starvation. To me, that makes sense and an "upgrade" to the hardware/mechanics later can remove that dependency on those oils, fluids, and recharging.

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: July 2, 2018, 22:41

Sounds cool! Can we see a the finished character?

RhinoDino1-
Street-Level Hero
on: July 3, 2018, 15:01

Sure, I'd be happy to post the two creations I made once I'm done tweaking.

RhinoDino1-
Street-Level Hero
on: July 7, 2018, 11:51

Hireling, I'm done tweaking my robot character. You mentioned you'd like to see it when it's done. Do you know if it's cool to post a PDF of the character on the forum? I'm using the official spreadsheet for Mighty Protectors and I don't want to cross any lines. I figure a PDF is ok, but wanted to check before I did anything. Also, how is the best way to post the characters, in your opinion? I'm sorta tech challenged . . .

Hireling
High-Powered Superhero
on: July 7, 2018, 22:15

I don't know what the rules are about posting documents. The way I share characters is to upload it to something like Google Drive, or DropBox and then get a sharing link--one that lets people view, but not edit the document.

RhinoDino1-
Street-Level Hero
on: July 8, 2018, 09:43

Warning, this is long, longer than I thought it would be. Creative juices were flowing!

Below is a link to my very first Mighty Protectors character. Most of the abilities are random, though I did swap out one of the original weaknesses to take Unliving to better fit my robot construct concept. The main hero is Fissure, so open that one first.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgsNMsUHSqnghU9pZgrg4D9ZPZp6

I don’t have a picture yet. I imagine Fissure having a somewhat retro look, inspired by “modern” 50’s sci-fi with a utilitarian, military look. A half sphere for a head with lights and scopes, large bulky armor pieces at the shoulders, chest, back, forearms, and legs with structural metal and wires exposed between the metal pieces. The color is, of course, military olive. He’d have white lettering on his chest, shoulders, and back with his official designation.

Automated Excavated Unit 23 (AEU-23), later taking the name Fissure, was created by Army research scientist Dr. Calvin Rhodes to use in hazardous or dangerous mining/construction environments. Dr. Rhodes wanted to create automated units to do this dangerous work and save soldier’s lives. He used amazing technology completely unique to AEU-23. There are many who wonder how Dr. Rhodes created AEU-23 . . .

At a secret mining operation, AEU-23 uncovered a strange material. Excited, Dr. Rhodes had AEU-23 return to the lab with the material so he could examine it further. AEU-23 delivered the sample to Dr. Rhodes’ lab and entered his recharging station. Dr. Rhodes studied the substance and discovered the material was extraterrestrial in origin but he did not know its purpose. Shortly after discovering this information, the lab was attacked by unknown assailants. Their purpose to this day is unknown, though the few that survived noted the attackers went straight for the lab Dr. Rhodes worked in. During the attack, AEU-23 basic programming engaged and he attempted to defend his creator. There was an explosion in the lab during the fighting. No one is sure what exactly happened but the aftermath was clear: Dr. Rhodes was missing. The mysterious substance was also missing and AEU-23 was suddenly alive and aware of his existence.

Blueberry, Dr. Rhodes’, beloved grey housecat happened to be sleeping in the lab inside a nice, warm piece of scientific equipment when the lab attack occurred. Frightened, Blueberry hid as the fighting raged around her. Then something cosmic occurred and changed Blueberry forever. Nearby, AEU-23 was fighting the attackers when they were both caught in the explosion with the mysterious substance. When both regained consciousness, Blueberry found she was bonded with AEU-23 and had new powers. At that moment, both AEU-23 and Blueberry knew what their mission was: find those that murdered Dr. Calvin Rhodes and administer justice!

Fissure’s abilities were well suited to mining and now that he’s a superhero, they will serve him well fighting crime. The power blast and vibratory abilities were used to break rock, extract ore, and excavate material. I still have to come up with a name for the vibration ability. The shaping ability was a new technology developed by Dr. Calvin Rhodes and is unique to Fissure. Dr. Rhodes wanted to give AEU-23 the ability to create the tools needed immediately when mining, rather than take needed equipment into the hole or stop production to retrieve needed equipment. Some in the military covet the shaping technology and would like to use it for less noble purposes . . .

Since the lab accident, Fissure gained sentience, and thus legally fought for his rights as a living being. The Army granted this, though some still see him as property (potential nemesis in the future). Fissure has agreed to work with the military as a private consultant, free to accept or turn down jobs as he sees fit. He needs the pay as repairs can get expensive!

Take a look and offer suggestions. I gave Fissure the unliving weakness and the chance to lose abilities when taking damage to simulate a robot with systems that could go out with damage. There’s probably a number of ways to do this (multi-function comes to mind) but that is how I approached it with this character.

Blueberry is Fissure’s companion and is telepathically bonded to him. Besides being immortal, Blueberry can fire energy blasts from her eyes. She has a piece of gear (the bell on her collar) created by Dr. Rhodes that will generate a force field for protection. He created this for her to keep her safe in the lab and surrounding environs since she followed Dr. Rhodes everywhere. It used to be remotely activated by Dr. Rhodes, but Blueberry is able to activate the device now on her own when desired. Blueberry can also transform into a strange extraterrestrial battle cat. Blueberry’s battle cat form is a ferocious beast with neon pink hair and green lightning bolts, capable of shredding assailants with her mighty claws. However, in this form, she gets into a battle rage that is hard to snap out of and she’s more susceptible to poisons/venoms.

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.503 seconds.