Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: [SPOILERS] Avengers: Infinity War [SPOILERS]
dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
Post [SPOILERS] Avengers: Infinity War [SPOILERS]
on: May 27, 2018, 18:56

I saw the movie today. I was going to take a pass on it in the cinema, and wait to see it on an airplane or on HBO in a few months. I didn't love the last Avengers film and never had any enthusiasm/attachment to Thanos.

But my 11-year old daughter wanted to see it. So we went.

SPOILERS------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I really liked the first 1/3 of the film, where the characters were re-assembling and bickering with eachother.

2. That being said, when the film began with Thor and the Hulk all beat up, and the Avengers otherwise dis-assembled, I felt like I'd missed a movie or two. I had seen the Avengers go their separate ways at the conclusion of "Age of Ultron." I had also seen Iron Man and Captain America fight in "Civil War." But I had no idea why Thor had short hair and why Banner/Hulk was so scared of Thanos and why Captain America had a beard and no mask or shield.

3. For me, this 2.5 hour film was about 30-40 minutes too long.

4. So many giant fights: a big fight in NYC, another big fight in Wakanda, and another fight on Titan. And that doesn't cover the other fights, like on the spaceship when the bad guy is sucked out of the ship, Alien-style, or in the post credit sequence. It felt to me a little relentless and monotonous and over the top.

5. i did not expect the film to end with a 'downer' conclusion where the villain wins and the heroes are bloodied and skattered, "Empire Strikes Back"-style.

6. When I got home, I pulled out my copy of TSR's old "Gamer's Handbook of the Marvel Universe" published for Marvel FASERIP 30 years ago, and read the entry about Thanos. If you might do the same, and then reflect on the post-credits sequence in this film, and also add to that the photos circulating on the internet of the new, female Captain Marvel, I felt like I now had a pretty good general idea of the plot to the sequel.

What did you think?

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: [SPOILERS] Avengers: Infinity War [SPOILERS]
on: May 30, 2018, 13:26

I loved the whole film, and am eager to see it again. So often there was so much going on all over the screen, that I couldn't possibly follow it all; I'm looking forward to catching much of what I missed the first time.

It sounds like you did miss a movie or two, Dan. The excellent (and quite amusing) Thor: Ragnarok explains why Thor has short hair, an eyepatch, and has been buddying around with the Hulk. Cap's been sort of 'on the run' since Civil War, I believe.

I just read (for the first time) the graphic novel for "The Infinity Gauntlet", part of the inspiration for this story. It will be interesting to see how much they draw from some of those older tales for the conclusion to this one.

I think my friend was spot-on with his analysis: the likely reason Dr. Strange went so out of his way to save Tony Stark is because he viewed those millions of possibilities, and Tony being alive must be key to restoring (at least some of) those lost. I didn't for a moment believe that all of those deaths were permanent; not when they killed off huge cash cows like Black Panther and Spider-Man!

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 30, 2018, 18:46

I had the same reaction as your friend, Doug, about why Strange saved Stark! Time will tell if that's correct, I guess. I also totally agree about how the people who were turned to dust will inevitably be resurrected. After the film, I was explaining to my daughter how it was a well worn comic book convention that unless you see a dead body (and even then, sometimes) the character is never really killed. I never read that Infinity Gauntlet story. But reading the Thanos bio summary, it discussed how it was all 'reversed' later on.

I was never a big Thanos "afficionado" (if there is such a thing). Watching the film, I thought to myself, I really hope that the proposed acquisition of Fox by Disney ultimately goes through and closes, because Disney has successfully been able to build up Thanos into a supervillain headlining a film that's grossed nearly $2B worldwide. Imagine how amazing it will be when they re-acquire the rights to Dr. Doom and Magneto.

Probably my favorite line from the film was, "You're a sandwich away from being fat."

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 14, 2018, 15:44

Apologies for the late reply (my desktop PC has issues with the MHG website).

Anyway... Yes, I did like Avengers: Infinity War! I even saw it twice. While I agree that there isn't much of a story in the movie, it has the best comic-book fight scenes of any superhero movie ever made. Plus, it was really neat to see all of the characters, more or less, in one place.

I read the original source material that the movie is based upon back when it came out, in the 90's, and... well, they dropped quite a bit in translating the story from the comic to the film. In the movie there is no Mistress Death, nor are there any of Marvel's Elders of the Universe, who include the likes of: the Stranger, Galactus, Order & Chaos, Odin, Zeus, etc., etc. There are also a lot of missing superheroes in the movies that were in the comic, but that's due to Marvel having sold the rights to Fantastic Four, X-Men, and others to different studios and they have yet to reclaim those rights.

AIW just surpassed the 2 billion mark, for 4th biggest all-time box office. Of course, if you account for inflation then Gone With the Wind is still #1 and Star Wars is #2.

I have a feeling that whatever they end up calling part two is going to surpass part one in the total box office department and I for one can't wait!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.049 seconds.