Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MP Writeups @Blogger.com
bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post MP Writeups @Blogger.com
on: April 13, 2018, 08:55

It took me an hour or so to figure out how to re-create my Wordpress blog on the Blogger site. You can check it out at: https://mpwriteups.blogspot.com/

Let me know if you like it better. If so, I'll switch and start using it instead of Wordpress.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: MP Writeups @Blogger.com
on: April 13, 2018, 12:47

I'll be eager to see which one you end up liking better, bk. I've been using Wordpress, but there's some things I don't like (like how it won't allow certain formatting).

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 15, 2018, 08:37

My first thought when i began scrolling through your blog, with page-after-page of awesome, detailed write-ups, channeled my 1980s southern California upbringing, "Dude: this is amazing!"

The Silver Age Avengers and X-Men were excellent to see. But Rom! Now that was wonderfully unexpected!

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 23, 2018, 14:20

Majestic, Blogspot has some quirks I'm not terribly fond of, but overall I think it's better than Wordpress. So, I'll be sticking with it.

Glad you like the blog, Dan! When it comes to 1980's California I always think of the movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and in particular, Sean Penn's stoner character Spicoli.

dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 19, 2018, 06:55

I continue to really enjoy these excellent blog entries and their write-ups of many unexpected characters!

(Even if, personally, I would group the New Mutants along with the Phantom Menace among my all-time, pre-hyped underwhelming disappointments.)

Turgenev
High-Powered Superhero
on: May 19, 2018, 09:50

Love the New Mutants write-ups bkadams! Keep up the great work!

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 21, 2018, 21:27

Thanks for the kind words, Dan and Turgenev 🙂

dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
on: September 5, 2018, 10:31

I continue to enjoy this blog!

I was wondering whether you might have any interest in doing a MP write-up of the old Valiant power suit hero X-O?

I ask because over Labor Day weekend I made one of my rare, periodic trips to a local comic book store that has a whole room full of vintage comics sold 12 for $10. One of the dozen I picked up was the 25 year-old "X-O Database," which detailed the X-O armor and its powers and weapons.

I have always liked 'powered armor' characters. Iron Man was a childhood favorite. My favorite V&V character was a powered armor hero as well., So I had bought the first dozen (or so) issues of "X-O" when first published by Valiant. While I really liked the armor and the artwork, the character and story didn't appeal to me, and my regular comic book collecting habit had already been faltering/fading for a while before they were published.

This book was such a product of its "Image Era" time. The cover was printed on special cardstock, and each "Handbook of the Marvel Universe"-style interior page detailing the X-O armor and its weapons was printed on transparent, acetate pages. A truly beautiful package, 25 years later for 80 cents.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: September 6, 2018, 19:28

Thanks, Dan. I did a write-up for X-O Manowar. You can see it at: https://mpwriteups.blogspot.com/

dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
on: September 10, 2018, 04:36

Absolutely fantastic! Thank you!

I hadn't realized the write-up of X-0 would be so involved/nuanced!

Among the aspects that this write-up captured was that the character who wore the armor was a barbarian who had been fighting the Roman Empire. He finds the X-O suit, if memory serves, in a, like, cave, while on the run from Roman soldiers and somehow ends up in the modern world.

The artwork in this comic book series was really excellent, including, I believe, inks by Bob Layton of "Iron Man" fame. But my lingering impression was that X-O kept fighting these, like, spider aliens who had originally created the armor. That storyline didn't really capture my interest.

I bought a bunch of Valiant comic books back in the day. To me, they all had a similar aspect. Interesting characters. Excellent artwork. But somehow the storylines never really clicked with me. Ditto "Archer & Armstong" by Barry Windsor Smith, which was sort of a riff on Power Man & Iron Fist, another Marvel comic book I had liked as a kid. Ditto "Turok" by Bart Sears. Same with "Magnus: Robot Fighter." Honorable Mention: Solar and Harbinger.

I remember when, sometime around 25 years ago, Frank Miller was doing an appearance/signing at the Valiant booth at the San Diego Comic Con (he had done some covers for Valiant at the height of his fame), and the line to meet him seemed like it went on forever. Reflecting back on that now, in light of Frank Miller's subsequent career/personal arc and how San Diego Comic Con has exploded in national prominence while simultaneously marginalizing the titular comic books, it feels like 5 lifetimes ago.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.643 seconds.