Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: General Questions
Turgenev
High-Powered Superhero
Post Re: General Questions
on: June 12, 2018, 10:42

Quote from Majestic on June 11, 2018, 12:26
Under 4.7 Rolling to Hit, it tells us that all characters gain "a bonus of +3 on their chances of hitting with all of their own attacks." So if somebody utilizes an Improvised Weapon (4.14.7, p. 117), where they take a penalty of -3, does that counteract the regular +3 they would get? Or is an improvised weapon not considered one of their "own attacks"?

My guess is that it wouldn't be considered one of their own attacks, so one's chance of hitting with an improvised weapon should be at least 6 less than with one of their own.

The way I initially read it was the -3 penalty would negate the +3 bonus for a character's own attacks so you would roll against the base AG save to hit (plus any other relevant Ability modifiers). But since you've mentioned it, I can see an argument being made that an improvised weapon modifier would apply to the base AG save number (which would effectively make it a -6 modifier to a character's total To Hit number with the appropriate attack type -- probably unarmed combat).

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 12, 2018, 12:25

Quote from Majestic on June 11, 2018, 12:26
Under 4.7 Rolling to Hit, it tells us that all characters gain "a bonus of +3 on their chances of hitting with all of their own attacks." So if somebody utilizes an Improvised Weapon (4.14.7, p. 117), where they take a penalty of -3, does that counteract the regular +3 they would get? Or is an improvised weapon not considered one of their "own attacks"?

My guess is that it wouldn't be considered one of their own attacks, so one's chance of hitting with an improvised weapon should be at least 6 less than with one of their own.

The way we've always played attacking with improvised weapons is the chance to hit is the character's AG save.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 12, 2018, 12:27

Quote from Majestic on May 29, 2018, 23:28
I'm helping my daughter fine-tune a character whose main Ability is Shaping. It's cool that other Abilities can be bought within Shaping (Abilities for the shaped items).

Is it fair to also take Linked with each of them (the Shaping and the sub-Ability bought already at a -5)? Seems sort of like double-dipping.

I don't think this has ever come up in my MP games but allowing Linked along with the (-5) mod is something that I would not allow.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 12, 2018, 12:35

Quote from Majestic on June 11, 2018, 12:43
On p. 109, where it talks about Area Effect attacks, the character rolls against each target once, but (assuming that character is hit), the attacker then rolls damage separately against each character and then rolls damage again against each piece of gear (worn or carried) by that character.

Likewise with a Vehicle. It says that (providing that they've been hit) one rolls damage against the Vehicle's overall Hits and also separately against each Vehicle system.

What about internal Vehicle systems? What of items of gear that are packed away (technically worn, but away, say, hidden in a backpack)?

It isn't stated but it stands to reason that the damage roll would include systems bought as stored gear. Integral systems cannot be targeted for damage but they are part of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is knocked-out, so are they.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 13, 2018, 15:09

Thanks, bk! 😎

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 14, 2018, 17:01

I think I'm finally (after reading over the section a few times) getting my head around Knockback. Part of what has been a bit confusing to me is situations where there isn't an obstacle for the target to run into. That probably happens most of the time, at least from what I've seen.

So if one character hits another straight back (parallel to the ground) for 7", and he just lands on soft earth (SR1), then he only takes 1 point of damage?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 15, 2018, 15:43

Quote from Majestic on June 14, 2018, 17:01
I think I'm finally (after reading over the section a few times) getting my head around Knockback. Part of what has been a bit confusing to me is situations where there isn't an obstacle for the target to run into. That probably happens most of the time, at least from what I've seen.

So if one character hits another straight back (parallel to the ground) for 7", and he just lands on soft earth (SR1), then he only takes 1 point of damage?

You count down to 0, so if the knocked-back character never hits anything they take no damage. If the PC wants to do extra damage from their knock back in an open area, they should attack in a way that drives their target into the ground.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 18, 2018, 16:03

So when you say "count down to 0", is that sort of like jumping was in 2.1? I don't see anything in the rules that talks about a count down with regard to knock back (I just read the whole section again, just to be sure).

Also, if somebody gets knocked straight back (not down) for 100 feet (20") and they land on gravel, or concrete, being as they didn't actually hit an object, they suffer no knockback damage? One would imagine the victim in that case would have road rash equivalent to a major wipeout (and at a significant speed, to boot!).

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 19, 2018, 07:24

4.8.5.4 Damage from Knockback
When a knocked-back target hits something, they sustain Blunt Kinetic damage equal to the remaining inches of knockback - up
to, but not exceeding, the obstacle’s SR (or its Protection, if the obstacle is a character or Vehicle). The target’s protection
applies, and they may ‘roll’ with the impact damage if they’re still conscious.

The obstacle also suffers blunt kinetic damage, equal to the remaining inches of knockback.

This last sentence, that I've underlined, is the key line. I don't think there is an example of this in the rule book but what it means is that you "countdown" your knockback. If the knocked-back character hits something along the path of the knockback, then he takes damage equal to the remaining inches of knockback.

For example: a hero takes 10" of knockback with a brick wall 5" away. The hero will hit the wall and take 5 points of blunt kinetic damage (brick is SR 5) and stop moving. If there is no obstacle, the hero keeps moving the full 10" away from the square where he was hit but will take no damage because he doesn't hit anything.

Hope that helps

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 19, 2018, 15:07

Thanks, Brian. I think down the road I might make up a house rule for this, as to me it seems like someone going flying back a long ways, even onto a surface like dirt (but especially on pavement or the like) should take some damage.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.886 seconds.