Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: General Questions
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: General Questions
on: May 16, 2018, 13:14

Quote from Majestic on May 1, 2018, 16:20
I'm getting ready to run tonight with an invisible ninja-type character. He's really accurate (H. Expertise +7 with all) and has basically three attacks: Sonic Blast, Sonic Boom, and Sai. No defenses, other than Invisibility.

I'm wondering how it's going to work with the PCs trying to find him, as none have any kind of augmented senses.

I gave him the standard 'two obvious effects' with both of his Sonic attacks (the Blast takes both gestures and makes sound, and the Boom makes a loud sound and vibrates the entire area). However, if he can hit people with his Sonic Boom (area effect of 5" centered on him, giving an EN-11 save; he's Immune), then it will be all the harder to hear him. I'm honestly not that certain how that's supposed to work, anyway, being as I paid for him to be Invisible to three senses (and chose sight, sound, and smell).

For that matter, since all Abilities are supposed to have two obvious effects (require gestures, make a sight or sound, etc.), does that even apply to Invisibility? It seems strange that those can't be 'bought off' in the character creation process.

So I guess I have two questions:

1) Does Invisibility require two obvious effects like other Abilities? I suppose one could do gestures and a sound.

2) How does that work, if I build a character who is Invisible to those senses, when he then uses an Ability that produces those effects? For instance, if I buy Invisibility such that my character is Invisible/undetectable to sound, then what happens when - while that character is Invisible - he shoots his Power Blast, but his Power Blast generates sound?

Does the Invisibility 'override' the effects (like sound, if you paid for that) that the Ability generates?

I just today came across the Unobvious Modifier, so it looks like there is a way to 'buy off' Abilities that are obvious.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 16, 2018, 13:29

Another question: Under Usable by Others (p. 95) it says that the Ability granted won't "stack" with Abilities the recipient already has. But it says this under the part where it talks about "granting the Ability to the same recipient again".

So does it not "stack" only when you give multiple instances of the Ability to the same target? Or is it intended that, from the start, the Ability won't "stack" with Abilities the recipient already has?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Turgenev
High-Powered Superhero
on: May 16, 2018, 17:47

I would go with your first interpretation. An ability with the Usable by Others modification won't stack with itself (as a result, only the time duration is re-set). So if you had a character with Heightened Strength (Usable by Others) he could place it on a character who had their own Heightened Strength Ability and they would stack. But if the character tried to give someone multiple versions of Heightened Strength (Usable by Others) to the same character, then all he does is re-set the time duration.

Jeff
Administrator
on: May 24, 2018, 13:23

Correct, Turgenev!

-Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 25, 2018, 12:42

Awesome! Thanks.

Today I just realized for the first time that Tasks are technically also Saves (according to the wording). So where I had been telling my players they can't Push on Task checks, I now believe they can do so.

Jeff
Administrator
on: May 26, 2018, 10:55

You can't Push a Save. You can 'roll with' Saves against Save Attacks, but that's it.

-Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 29, 2018, 15:01

Ah, I see upon re-reading it that the part about Pushing with Saves is only the person setting the Target Number.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 29, 2018, 23:28

I'm helping my daughter fine-tune a character whose main Ability is Shaping. It's cool that other Abilities can be bought within Shaping (Abilities for the shaped items).

Is it fair to also take Linked with each of them (the Shaping and the sub-Ability bought already at a -5)? Seems sort of like double-dipping.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 11, 2018, 12:26

Under 4.7 Rolling to Hit, it tells us that all characters gain "a bonus of +3 on their chances of hitting with all of their own attacks." So if somebody utilizes an Improvised Weapon (4.14.7, p. 117), where they take a penalty of -3, does that counteract the regular +3 they would get? Or is an improvised weapon not considered one of their "own attacks"?

My guess is that it wouldn't be considered one of their own attacks, so one's chance of hitting with an improvised weapon should be at least 6 less than with one of their own.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 11, 2018, 12:43

On p. 109, where it talks about Area Effect attacks, the character rolls against each target once, but (assuming that character is hit), the attacker then rolls damage separately against each character and then rolls damage again against each piece of gear (worn or carried) by that character.

Likewise with a Vehicle. It says that (providing that they've been hit) one rolls damage against the Vehicle's overall Hits and also separately against each Vehicle system.

What about internal Vehicle systems? What of items of gear that are packed away (technically worn, but away, say, hidden in a backpack)?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.681 seconds.