Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: General Questions
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: General Questions
on: April 23, 2018, 17:38

Today as I was reading about Vehicles, it stuck out to me where it says that the default outer wall thickness ("Vehicle's external hull") of a Vehicle is 8". That's great if you're building a spaceship, but what about something more ordinary?

One of my players made a new PC last Friday and he's got a (fairly standard) truck. Looking online, it appears that typical sheet metal thickness for an ordinary car is between 1/80th of an inch to 3/16th of an inch thick.

Would it be appropriate, if somebody has a typical vehicle like this, to give it a Miscellaneous (Severe, +/-15) Modifier, to reflect how it has such a significantly thinner exterior than the default for a Vehicle?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 25, 2018, 15:14

Some more Vehicle questions:

Bulky and Delicate: the former supposedly has an "slight reduction in efficiency" and the latter a "slight increase in efficiency", but I don't see what that is?

If you take the Gear modifier for a Vehicle (as shown on p. 82), does it give the typical -5 adjustment (as shown on p. 90)?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 27, 2018, 13:20

I'm not understanding what the paragraph under Command Weather (p. 84) means, where you can further personalize the Ability, "adding any Modifiers they wish so long as their total CP cost adjustment balances out to (0)."

Is this saying that - if I choose a Modifier like adding to an Electrical Bolt's range - that to do so I'd have to compensate by taking another Modifier (like increasing the PR) to balance it out?

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 30, 2018, 13:26

As far as Ability Caps go, I'm wondering if the Modifier of an Ability Field (which doubles the base CP cost of an attack ability) is allowed to go 'past' that Ability Cap, temporarily, until other Modifiers are used to bring the total cost back down to not exceed the Cap?

The reason I question this is the part on p. 17 about Ability Caps, where it says that both the basic and the final costs can't exceed the limits. If I pick a 20 CP Ability, then am forced to double that (to 40 CP), it seems a way around the ordinary limits that are put in.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 1, 2018, 00:06

I/we can't tell if Contact and Carrier attacks are meant to modify the original attack, or the carried attack? I've thought they modify the original, but one of my players points out wording that makes me think maybe it's meant to modify the carried/contact (secondary) attack.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 1, 2018, 06:32

Bulky and Delicate: the former supposedly has an "slight reduction in efficiency" and the latter a "slight increase in efficiency", but I don't see what that is?

It means (I think) that for (+2.5) CPs you get +4.3 extra Hits (or -4.3 Hits per (-2.5) CPs), which is more than the 2 or 3 Hit points you would get by increasing the overall System by +/- 2.5 CPs.

Would it be appropriate, if somebody has a typical vehicle like this, to give it a Miscellaneous (Severe, +/-15) Modifier, to reflect how it has such a significantly thinner exterior than the default for a Vehicle?

I actually did this in War Heroes but I'm not sure it will make it into the release. As Jeff has said, you can always do what you want, but I wouldn't give too much of an overall bonus or weakness.

If you take the Gear modifier for a Vehicle (as shown on p. 82), does it give the typical -5 adjustment (as shown on p. 90)?

Yes, the Gear modifier on a vehicle system lowers the overall CP value of that system.

I'm not understanding what the paragraph under Command Weather (p. 84) means, where you can further personalize the Ability, "adding any Modifiers they wish so long as their total CP cost adjustment balances out to (0)."

Is this saying that - if I choose a Modifier like adding to an Electrical Bolt's range - that to do so I'd have to compensate by taking another Modifier (like increasing the PR) to balance it out

It just means that you have a certain amount of CPs in Command Weather to buy Abilities with. Your example is correct: if you add any positive modifiers, like extra range, you'll have to offset those points with one or more negative modifiers, like increased PR.

As far as Ability Caps go, I'm wondering if the Modifier of an Ability Field (which doubles the base CP cost of an attack ability) is allowed to go 'past' that Ability Cap, temporarily, until other Modifiers are used to bring the total cost back down to not exceed the Cap?

Ability Field is a modifier, albeit an expensive one that doubles the base cost of an Ability. So long as its base cost and final cost are within the Ability Cap, then it is legal. For example. 20 CPs of Power Blast is 2d10 in Energy damage. With Ability Field added, its cost doubles to 40 CPs, which is above the Standard Level Ability Cap of 30. Therefore, to make it legal, you would have to come up with (-10) CPs in additional modifiers to get it to 30.

I/we can't tell if Contact and Carrier attacks are meant to modify the original attack, or the carried attack? I've thought they modify the original, but one of my players points out wording that makes me think maybe it's meant to modify the carried/contact (secondary) attack.

It may be easier to think of Contact and Carrier modifies as combining two separate attack Actions into one Action, which is essentially what they do. Not sure if that helps answer your question but it's the best I've got at this moment.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 1, 2018, 15:00

Thanks, bk. The reason I think it matters on which Ability gets modified (even though it's kind of both) is for purposes of Ability Caps. In the case of my friend's PC, he's got an Ice Blast that has a Contact Devitalization Ray combined with it. It matters as far as the Cap for the two, as that +15 might push one of them over the limit more than the other.

Unless you just get to choose which of the two to apply it to.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 1, 2018, 16:20

I'm getting ready to run tonight with an invisible ninja-type character. He's really accurate (H. Expertise +7 with all) and has basically three attacks: Sonic Blast, Sonic Boom, and Sai. No defenses, other than Invisibility.

I'm wondering how it's going to work with the PCs trying to find him, as none have any kind of augmented senses.

I gave him the standard 'two obvious effects' with both of his Sonic attacks (the Blast takes both gestures and makes sound, and the Boom makes a loud sound and vibrates the entire area). However, if he can hit people with his Sonic Boom (area effect of 5" centered on him, giving an EN-11 save; he's Immune), then it will be all the harder to hear him. I'm honestly not that certain how that's supposed to work, anyway, being as I paid for him to be Invisible to three senses (and chose sight, sound, and smell).

For that matter, since all Abilities are supposed to have two obvious effects (require gestures, make a sight or sound, etc.), does that even apply to Invisibility? It seems strange that those can't be 'bought off' in the character creation process.

So I guess I have two questions:

1) Does Invisibility require two obvious effects like other Abilities? I suppose one could do gestures and a sound.

2) How does that work, if I build a character who is Invisible to those senses, when he then uses an Ability that produces those effects? For instance, if I buy Invisibility such that my character is Invisible/undetectable to sound, then what happens when - while that character is Invisible - he shoots his Power Blast, but his Power Blast generates sound?

Does the Invisibility 'override' the effects (like sound, if you paid for that) that the Ability generates?

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 2, 2018, 16:09

A few new questions:

1) It doesn't seem to indicate how much time it takes to use Size Change, when going from one size to another. Does it require an action? Just some movement?

2) On p. 87 the second paragraph seems somewhat contradictory to me. We read that the target's protection abilities operate independently vs both the primary attack and the secondary one. But the next sentence says "carried attacks (the secondary one) ignores all protections". I guess it's not completely contradictory, if the intent is to have the primary one be affected by protections, but the second one ignoring them. Wouldn't it be easier to just say "protections only apply to the carried attack"?

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 7, 2018, 15:32

As far as my questions about Contact Attack Modifiers, upon much more discussion and re-reading of the sections, it's clear to me now that the +15 Modifier is applied to the secondary (carried) attack for Contact Attacks. And then for Carrier attacks it's split equally between the primary (carrier) and secondary (carried), +7.5 each.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.288 seconds.