Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: General Questions
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post General Questions
on: April 3, 2018, 01:45

1) With Tables like the one for Area Effect (p. 86) or Duration (p. 89), do you by default start at the first line of the chart (if you don't have a value that's specified in a certain Ability)?

2) If I choose to take two instances of Siphon (each targeting different Abilities) for a character, do I just pay the separate amounts (on the chart for 'Damage' Roll) each time? Of course, the total spent can't be more than the character's Ability Cap, I realize. So if I want a character to Siphon both technological Abilities and Information at 2d10 each (25 for each one), and I build in enough negative Modifiers that the whole thing ends up costing only 35 CP, is that the 'proper' way to do this?

3) In converting one of our existing PCs, I'm wondering if it's okay to break apart the character's magical sword's Parry ability as a separate Ability (calling it Shield, but to cover his ability to parry/block with the sword). I realize as GM I can override or allow whatever, but I'm just curious if this seems like a blatant 'end run' around the Ability Cap? His Cap for Abilities is 33, and the way we converted it he has 33 CP for his Special Weapon (the sword itself, which does a lot of things) and then we allocated another 20 CP into the Shield (which reflects his ability to parry with the same weapon).

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: General Questions
on: April 3, 2018, 01:46

Here's how I wrote up an NPC (villain) android's Siphon:

SIPHON: 2d10 technological Abilities, information; limit=Ability Cap; dissipate in 1 hour; Suppress (-10); Overload: 1 pt. per siphoned point; can be rolled with (-10); Range=5", (+5); Power instead of Charges (+0); Unlimited Charges.

Does this seem legit? Or would it be more appropriate to list it as two separate SIPHON Abilities (with their own line each), in case they are Siphoned or Mimicked or whatever?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 5, 2018, 17:35

Under Shaping, what does it mean when it says "This PR may not be removed, though it may be increased or converted to Charges"?

As I understand it, a character with Shaping decides (in the moment, each time they use the Ability of Shaping) how much Power to put into their construction. So one time it might be PR=1, but the next time might be PR=6. Is this just saying that, if a character creates an object/shape with a PR of 3, that they could not reduce it in size voluntarily?

The way it's written, it sounds more like it's a restriction on the cost that you decide at character creation (which would normally be when one decides to convert to Charges), but I don't see where there's a consistent PR for this Ability.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 6, 2018, 08:33

Quote from Majestic on April 3, 2018, 01:45
1) With Tables like the one for Area Effect (p. 86) or Duration (p. 89), do you by default start at the first line of the chart (if you don't have a value that's specified in a certain Ability)?

2) If I choose to take two instances of Siphon (each targeting different Abilities) for a character, do I just pay the separate amounts (on the chart for 'Damage' Roll) each time? Of course, the total spent can't be more than the character's Ability Cap, I realize. So if I want a character to Siphon both technological Abilities and Information at 2d10 each (25 for each one), and I build in enough negative Modifiers that the whole thing ends up costing only 35 CP, is that the 'proper' way to do this?

3) In converting one of our existing PCs, I'm wondering if it's okay to break apart the character's magical sword's Parry ability as a separate Ability (calling it Shield, but to cover his ability to parry/block with the sword). I realize as GM I can override or allow whatever, but I'm just curious if this seems like a blatant 'end run' around the Ability Cap? His Cap for Abilities is 33, and the way we converted it he has 33 CP for his Special Weapon (the sword itself, which does a lot of things) and then we allocated another 20 CP into the Shield (which reflects his ability to parry with the same weapon).

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. I would use Shield and Special weapon, both with Multi-Function Gear @ (+2.5) CPs, to build this 'parry' weapon. Each Ability is subject to the Ability Cap.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 6, 2018, 08:34

Quote from Majestic on April 3, 2018, 01:46
Here's how I wrote up an NPC (villain) android's Siphon:

SIPHON: 2d10 technological Abilities, information; limit=Ability Cap; dissipate in 1 hour; Suppress (-10); Overload: 1 pt. per siphoned point; can be rolled with (-10); Range=5", (+5); Power instead of Charges (+0); Unlimited Charges.

Does this seem legit? Or would it be more appropriate to list it as two separate SIPHON Abilities (with their own line each), in case they are Siphoned or Mimicked or whatever?

Per the rules you would have to build them separately, although you could use the Linked (-2.5) modifier on each one to lower the cost.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 6, 2018, 08:35

Quote from Majestic on April 5, 2018, 17:35
Under Shaping, what does it mean when it says "This PR may not be removed, though it may be increased or converted to Charges"?

As I understand it, a character with Shaping decides (in the moment, each time they use the Ability of Shaping) how much Power to put into their construction. So one time it might be PR=1, but the next time might be PR=6. Is this just saying that, if a character creates an object/shape with a PR of 3, that they could not reduce it in size voluntarily?

The way it's written, it sounds more like it's a restriction on the cost that you decide at character creation (which would normally be when one decides to convert to Charges), but I don't see where there's a consistent PR for this Ability.

It means that you can't buy down the PR cost to 0.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 9, 2018, 15:27

Thanks so much for the answers!

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 11, 2018, 16:24

So how does deal with something that is "opposed"?, in a case like on p. 74, where it says (for Telepathy):

Once contact has been established, the subject may make a CL save (opposed by the telepath's IN), taking an action, to break contact.

I thought I remember there being something on opposed rolls, but I can't find it.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 11, 2018, 21:10

Section 3.0.2.5, on pg. 102, covers "Opposition". Take the save number and subtract 10 to get the modifier.

In your example above if the telepath has a 12- IN save and his 'subject' has an 10- CL save, the subject can break contact if he can roll 10 - (12-10) = 8 or less.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 13, 2018, 12:42

Thanks, bk. I knew there was something in there about that!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.617 seconds.