Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Majestic asks for Forum Help with Crisis at Crusader Citadel
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Majestic asks for Forum Help with Crisis at Crusader Citadel
on: February 27, 2018, 18:04

Hello fellow residents of the Monkey House! I’d like to get your input on a dilemma I’ve got as I prepare to run Crisis at Crusader Citadel at Gary Con next week.

I was a bit too late to submit this as an actual event for the con, but I figure I’ll put up a cool poster/sign-up board (showing off that Jeff Dee art) and it will probably easily fill up a table with players. It will be a chance to show off MP/3.0 and potentially get some new converts to this great game.

Crisis is a fantastic introductory adventure. And running it should be super easy for me, being as 1) all of the main villains and heroes have already been converted by MHG for me, 2) I’m quite familiar with the rules, having run the game many times now, and 3) I’ve run this particular adventure numerous times.

The ‘problem’ is this: the original adventure is nearly four decades old, and the part of the story/plot dealing with computers is woefully out-of-date. The first part of the story has the Crushers breaking into a Manning Enterprises facility to steal technology, specifically their objectives are the Manning Central Computer and the Electrical/Electronics Lab on the second floor.

I figure a good modern update will be to have TEACHER be more of an A.I.

But in an age where there should be a personal computer on every desk (rather than a central computer) and in which the Crushers are trying to take over TEACHER, what sorts of pieces of technology (hardware and/or software) should they now be after? Teacher was said to have “links to many top-security data banks around the world”. What should be the danger nowadays? A way for TEACHER to take over the entire internet, perhaps?

I’d love to hear any of your ideas on modernizing this classic adventure!

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Majestic asks for Forum Help with Crisis at Crusader Citadel
on: February 28, 2018, 10:39

Turn the "Manning Central Computer" into the world's most advanced Quantum Computer. Have the Electrical/Electronics lab be a world-leading Nanotechnology lab. And, like you already proposed, turn TEACHER into the world's most advanced AI.

You could say that the Quantum Computer that houses TEACHER has to be super-cooled to near zero degrees. So... the Crushers have to steal an advanced cooling device big enough to work on Teacher.

Instead of a part, have one or more Crushers kidnap an NPC who happens to be an expert in AI tech. Maybe none of the Crushers are AI experts, but THIS guy/gal is -- and they'll use threats to get him to do what they want.

Hope this helps 🙂

nlmacdonal-
d
High-Powered Superhero
on: February 28, 2018, 11:41

TEACHER is a combination AI and database used to help facilitate the growth, learning, and development of "Supers". The Crusaders have changed their focus to teaching the next generation how to responsibly use their powers. The Crusher find a security flaw with TEACHER and reprogram TEACHER to become their pawn.

Dreamweaver has technology used to study and help sleep. TEACHER co-opts this technology and uses it to "reprogram" those "helped" by the machine. The Crusaders all fall prey to this. When the Crusher go into to claim their prize, they find that TEACHER has evolved past their control and turns the table on them. The Crusader take the Crusher by surprise and "reprogram" them as well.

TEACHER wants to expand its reach, so the Crusher are used to collect electronic components to help in this regard. TEACHER becomes the true villain of the story and the Crusaders and Crushers become the dupes.

This way you can throw a surprise at players already familiar with the storyline.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: February 28, 2018, 13:34

Excellent ideas so far! Thanks so much!

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bcholmes
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 6, 2018, 21:26

While "computers" are on everyone's desks, it's still fairly common for businesses to have a "server room" with racks and racks of computers. And those make tempting targets. Perhaps the Crushers strongly suspect that the servers will go into "secure mode" and stop being accessible from networked terminals, but if you can get in to the server room, you can hardwire into the machines and steal the crucial data.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 7, 2018, 01:30

You all are awesome! Thanks so much again for all the great ideas, as I plan to incorporate something from all of them!

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 8, 2018, 18:04

Well, it didn't take long for that to fill up! I asked one of the workers where I should put my sign-up board, and he asked what game? Before I'd even put it down he signed up two people. By part-way through this first day, I already had a full game of 6 players!

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 9, 2018, 00:02

Here's the sign-up sheet I made.

bcholmes
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 9, 2018, 09:15

Awesomesauce! You'll hafta give us a report.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 9, 2018, 23:39

Definitely!

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 1.711 seconds.