Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Digital game-changers
StefanJ
Cosmic Superhero
Post Digital game-changers
on: February 11, 2018, 13:40

I've been working on "gadgets" section of "Beyond This World." Interesting items and weapons the heroes might find used against them, or that they might find useful on a first trip to other worlds.

I already have a section in there about balance, proliferation, and limits. A sufficiently high-tech and developed civilization might have super-power gadgets available in the equivalent of Walmart.

StefanJ
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Digital game-changers
on: February 11, 2018, 13:41

The other day I came across an event that made me realize some game-effecting technology is popping up even now. One of my dog-walking routes takes me by a nice greenspace area maintained by an office park. At one end of a large field were a number of goal-post like structures made of PVC pipe and plastic (nylon?) sheeting. Hoops and hurdles and the like.

It turned out to be a gathering of VR drone piloting enthusiasts. The pilots would put on VR headsets and fly drones with stereoscopic cameras through the course.

This is, of course, really cool. But an innovation like this, implemented in a V&V game, could really change the strategy and shape of a battle. Even an unarmed drone could scout out a situation with no risk or danger to the PCs (or villains!).

And, dang, if the things had a gun or bomb . . .

Any thoughts on how to keep here-and-now gadgets turning a battle between super heroes and super villains into a high-tech skirmish game?

StefanJ
Cosmic Superhero
on: February 11, 2018, 13:42

(I've been trying to post the above text, in one lump, for DAYS. The attempt always timed out on me. I couldn't edit the first post and add in the second half. Interesting!)

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: February 11, 2018, 15:40

I have had and continue to have problems with this website timing out... so I don't post here much anymore.

As far as ideas for keeping V&V from becoming a hi-tech drone battle I'd go with the old "it's not that way in comics" excuse and just not allow it. Sort of like how Marvel and DC characters never seem to age: unrealistic but it's just how its done (and keeps properties worth billions of $$$ around forever).

StefanJ
Cosmic Superhero
on: February 12, 2018, 16:02

Thanks BK!

The introductory section to the books is tentatively titled "Outer Space in Four Colors." There's a rich history and tradition of space travel & SF in comics, including superhero comics, and SF authors like Alfred Bester scripted comics on the side. But there's that danger of letting the gadgets, and SF tropes, overpower the superhero nature of things.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: February 12, 2018, 19:26

I understand your concerns better now. Unfortunately, I don't know a good answer. I might have had an answer if my Cosmic V&V3.0 power-level "Guardians" campaign, set in space, had continued instead of being a one-shot (the players just weren't into it).

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.551 seconds.