Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Force Field: Deflect and Block
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Force Field: Deflect and Block
on: February 5, 2018, 13:54

Force Fields make reference to attacks which are 'deflected' and 'blocked'.

Does "completely blocked" mean attacks, that, say, don't make it past other protections? I would think that one would resolve FF first (since it is outside the body) before resolving things like Armor.

The Example given has a Force Field's Protection Points "blocking" damage, so that must be what is meant by 'blocking'. How does one 'deflect' damage with a Force Field then?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Jeff
Administrator
Post Re: Force Field: Deflect and Block
on: February 5, 2018, 16:49

Examples:

A character's Force Field provides 5 points of Kinetic Protection, and is hit by 7 points of Kinetic damage. It deflects 5 points, and the attack is not completely blocked.

A character's Force Field provides 5 points of Kinetic Protection, and is hit by 4 points of Kinetic damage. It deflects 4 points, and the attack IS completely blocked.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: February 6, 2018, 12:36

Ah, got it. Thanks, Jeff!

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

celestiale-
ditor
High-Powered Superhero
on: February 6, 2018, 19:06

I like the new way the "ablative" aspect of force fields is handled in MP.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: February 7, 2018, 13:02

I like it, too, and am eager to see it work in play, as it's an Ability I don't think I've seen in action yet.

QuibblingA-
sh42
Street-Level Hero
on: March 16, 2018, 13:03

Hmmm...I'm still not following how the ability works. I'm going to reverse your answer to ask for a follow-up.

A character's Force Field provides 5 points of Kinetic Protection, and is hit by 4 points of Kinetic damage. It deflects 4 points, and the attack IS completely blocked.

So, in this case, nothing makes it through to the character, but what happens for the FF point total? According to the rule book, if an attack is blocked completely, it doesn't come off the FF point total. Assuming this is a 15CP FF, they have a total point value of 20. Do they still have 20 points of FF protection left?

A character's Force Field provides 5 points of Kinetic Protection, and is hit by 7 points of Kinetic damage. It deflects 5 points, and the attack is not completely blocked.

This we'll consider the second attack against this person, so what's their status now? Assuming they still have those 20 FF points left, do those five points come off the total, so now they have 15 points of FF protection left? The remaining two points, of course, pass through to the character.

It might help to understand how you're "visualizing" how this works. I've got Shield Maiden with her force field up. She gets hit by Giant Fist Man for 4 points of damage, and it goes "bong" and bounces off her force field without causing any damage to her. And, since it didn't have enough force to overcome the force field, the FF just shrugs it off.

He punches her again, this time for 7 points of damage. That's enough to, let's say, "buckle" her shield enough that the fist can travel all the way to her, dragging the force field with it, and she's personally hit by 2 points of damage. Because of that buckling, we now take 5 points off the FF protection point total to represent the field absorbing some of the momentum.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: March 16, 2018, 15:54

I think I 'get' how FF works now, QuibblingAsh42, so I'll try to explain.

The total points (like in your example, of 20), is the total number that is then spread out between the various damage types. The only time it has relevance to the amount of damage done is when one has chosen the Ablative modifier.

Quote from QuibblingAsh42 on March 16, 2018, 13:03So, in this case, nothing makes it through to the character, but what happens for the FF point total? According to the rule book, if an attack is blocked completely, it doesn't come off the FF point total. Assuming this is a 15CP FF, they have a total point value of 20. Do they still have 20 points of FF protection left?

So to this part of your question, their FF total remains at 20. It would only go below 20 when the character takes more than 20 damage from a single hit (and then only if the character also has the Ablative modifier).

Quote from QuibblingAsh42 on March 16, 2018, 13:03This we'll consider the second attack against this person, so what's their status now? Assuming they still have those 20 FF points left, do those five points come off the total, so now they have 15 points of FF protection left? The remaining two points, of course, pass through to the character.

For this part of your question, the part below this (where you illustrated things) is spot-on. The character would still have 20 points of protection. It doesn't go down to 15. It would only lose some of its protection if it (a) had the Ablative modifier, and (b) the character took more than 20 points from a single hit.

nlmacdonal-
d
High-Powered Superhero
on: March 16, 2018, 16:35

QuibblingAsh42, the values provided in the Force Field table on page 39 are fixed values. So, 20 CPs of Force Field provide Kinetic 6, Energy 6, Bio 6, and Entropy of 6. These values can be subtracted from damage or added to saves. As Majestic said, these totals cannot be reduced by use except through a modifier like Ablative. An attack whose damage is equal to or less than the 6/6/6/6 value is total blocked. Otherwise, you need to track the amount of damage blocked.

As Jeff outlined above, a Force Field that can block 5 Kinetic would totally block an attack that does 4 Hits, but it would not totally block an attack that does 6 and you'd need to add 5 to the running total of blocked damage. One this running total exceeds your current PR (or 1.5 times the "Total" value from the Force Field table, for gear) then the Force Field collapses. You'd need to activate the Force Field again if you wanted its protection. This would require an action and an expenditure of 16 PR (or a charge for Gear).

In the case of a saved attack, if the character succeeds his save the attack is totally blocked. If save is failed, it would not be totally blocked and you'd add the protection value used to the running total of blocked damage.

QuibblingA-
sh42
Street-Level Hero
on: March 17, 2018, 10:15

Ok, I think I'm getting it now, but where is the Ablative modifier described in this way? The only reference I can find for it is under the Armor ability (p26), and it's not described this way.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 1.078 seconds.