Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Translating Lodestone
nlmacdonal-
d
High-Powered Superhero
Post Translating Lodestone
on: January 6, 2018, 19:32

I'm working on converting some old characters from V&V 2.0. The villain Lodestone come with the mutation power. The effect allows him to deaden all magic within 30" by spending an action per turn. The PR used in powering magic powers are funneled into his power score. Its not clear whether the magic effect is negated but I assume it is.

This sounds like Absorption with Area Effect, but Absorption only applies to damage effects. So a magic mind control used in this area would not be effected. Additionally, Absorption can only be purchased to affect up to 3 full damage types.

Maybe it would be better to design this power as Siphon of Negation with some sort of Linked effected.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Translating Lodestone
on: January 7, 2018, 03:59

I think I'd try to do it with both Negation and Absorption.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Grognardo
Superhero
on: January 11, 2018, 23:27

I exchanged emails with Jeff Dee about this some years ago, but I was looking at converting LodeStone to Living Legends.

I still have that email somewhere among my old V&V notes, and I'll post the relevant info when I find it.

Please stand by...

Grognardo
Superhero
on: January 12, 2018, 00:17

Ah-HAH! Found it!

Here's how Jeff wrote LodeStone's Mutant Power up for Living Legends:

Paralysis Ray: 2d8-1,
Energy Field, Mental Damage,
Area Effect: 57" diameter,
Miscellaneous Limitation: only inhibits magic-based effects,
Time Limit: 1 round [victims recover instantly when removed
from the area of effect], Affects Intangible, Can't Hold Back,
Time Limit: 1 round [must be reactivated each round, requiring 1
action]

I left the LL point costs out, but that should give you something to work with.

nlmacdonal-
d
High-Powered Superhero
on: January 12, 2018, 19:47

Thanks Grognardo. I'm not sure that works very well for his Mutation in Mighty Protectors. Looking at the power, he can deaden all magic within 30 inches but needs to spend an action to do so. Plus, the PR used to power the magic gets funneled into his power score.

I had thought something like Absorption, Negation, or Siphon might do the trick but none of these do exact what is required. Based on Majestic's suggestion, I thought something like Absorption and Negation working together would represent this effect best. I figured something like:

Negation, action to use, range bought from EN" to Touch/Melee, give it Area Effect centred on him. Buy all Damage Types, Provide a limitation that it only works against Magic themed abilities. Linked to Absorption. Absorption is allowed to act first and then negation deadens the remaining effect.
Absorption, requires a saved action, apply the affect against 6 full damage types, provide the limitation that it only works against magic themed abilities. It would have the replenishment modifier. It would also have a modifier that would limit PR absorbed to the PR cost of the power.

While its a useful power in some situations, I don't think that it provides a lot of benefit, but I suspect that it would cost an enormous amount of CPs to implement. It would probably also fall outside of the ability caps.

Grognardo
Superhero
on: January 13, 2018, 02:24

Well, he's an NPC villain, so you can get away with that... 😉

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 1.114 seconds.