Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Disney Buys Fox
dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Disney Buys Fox
on: June 13, 2018, 17:47

FYI: Comcast has just outbid Disney for Fox. (Link below.)

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/13/media/comcast-fox-bid/index.html

Will Disney now raise their original bid beyond Comcast's current, higher bid?

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 14, 2018, 15:19

As my friend (who owns the comic shop I've frequented for decades) said yesterday, all of these consolidations and acquisitions are going to end up being bad in the end for consumers.

Instead of tons of competition keeping everyone sharp, eventually we'll probably be down to two or three mega corps producing and distributing content.

My prediction is that Disney will end up outbidding them. I don't think they like being #2 (behind Netflix), and streaming is what all of them are after right now, more than anything else. So in addition to hugely lucrative franchises like the X-Men and Avatar, it's having the majority of Hulu that is the big prize they're all after.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 19, 2018, 11:51

Quote from Turgenev on June 10, 2018, 11:15
Radioactive Man and Fallout Boy first appeared in the Simpsons cartoon as comic characters in a fictional comic that was beloved by Bart and Milhouse. Later in 1994, Bongo Comics would publish an actual Radioactive Man comic limited series that was a satire on comics in general with each issue spoofing a specific comic era/style.

Issue 1: Radioactive Man #1 ("1952"). The first appearance and origin of Radioactive Man and was a spoof of Golden Age comics.
Issue 2: Radioactive Man #88 ("1962"). It features a "retelling" of the origin of Fallout Boy and was a parody of Silver Age Marvel comics.
Issue 3: Radioactive Man #216 ("1972") was a parody of the "relevant" age of 1970s comics, Radioactive Man discovered that Fallout Boy was a hippie spoofing issue #85 of Green Lantern/Green Arrow in which Green Arrow discovered his sidekick Speedy was a heroin addict
Issue 4: Radioactive Man #412 ("1980"). It was a parody of the "Dark Phoenix" story- in the X-Men comics.
Issue 5: Radioactive Man #679 ("1986"). It was a parody of several 1980s comic stories, particularly Crisis on Infinite Earths, Watchmen and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
Issue 6: Radioactive Man #1000 ("1995"). It was a parody of 1990s comics, including Image Comics' Spawn.

Bongo Comics would publish other Radioactive Man comics but I haven't read those.

Cheers,
Tim

This thread sent me into a closet, and back into my boxes of comic books. I bought these comic books as they were published back in 1993-ish, and thought they were fantastic at the time.

I re-read the first issue, which notionally tells the story of Radioactive Man's origin. The two central 'bits' are that: (i) his secret identity is a mash-up of Burce Wayne and Clark Kent - resulting in a millionaire playboy who cant seem to get a date, and (ii) a spoof of the character's hard-core anti-communist views, set against a thinly veiled backdrop of Bill Gaines' real life Senate testimony about the role of comic books in promoting juvenile delinquency, eventually leading to the comics code. There were a couple of realy funny lines in this issue that made laugh out loud. But to be honest, I liked it a lot less than I did 25 years ago.

I also read issue #3, which was the parody of the Green lantern/Green Arrow "relevant' 1970s comics. For whatever reason, I really loved those GL/GA issues as a teenager in the 1980s, which I had bought in the 1980s when they were re-printed on baxter paper. So I loved this issue when it was first released as well. i enjoyed this more than re-reading #1. The core conceit is that Radioactive Man, the former virulent anti-communist, is now a 'square' hero (i.e. the Green lantern) who has to team up with another 'lapsed' super hero who has become a hippie and is living in, like, Harlem (i.e. Green Arrow). They team up with a Black Canary parody in search of a villain who has brainwashed Radioactive Man's teenaged sidekick, Fallout Boy (and many others) into becoming mindless hippies.

After reading these two issues, I'd sort of had my fill of them. But I did notice, also in my collaction, was a "Radioactive Man Movie Special," which seemed to be a parody of the Tim Burton film adaptations of Batman from the time. This looked really funny. But I decided not to 'push my luck' and so put them all back in the closet without reading it.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 19, 2018, 17:22

Here's a bit of news on what to expect with the potential buyout.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 20, 2018, 08:28

The mouse just opened his giant chest of gold to throw more money at Fox!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/06/20/disney-raises-its-bid-for-foxs-entertainment-businesses-to-71-3-billion-days-after-comcast-made-a-competing-offer-for-the-company/?utm_term=.d62b22f67032

dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 20, 2018, 09:22

I just checked CNBC. It's pretty interesting that Disney raised its bid nearly $20B, and their share price is still up a little this morning, after the announcement.

I also laughed when i read a side note in one article about this new bid that Disney also announced that they now didn't expect to go forward with their previously announced $20B stock buyback.

From what I read, Disney is primarily interested in the Fox content (obviously including the Marvel properties), whereas Comcast, known as a cable tv company, was interested in the content and in the distribution (aka the 'pipes'). Assuming that is true, I suppose that Disney expects their versions of the Fantastic Four and the X-Men to be "Avengers"-level money trees.....

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 20, 2018, 14:51

I won't be surprised if Disney outbids Comcast (both appear to be taking on debt to finance their bids), ends up with the majority of Hulu, and then uses that as their vehicle of streaming stuff to the masses (replacing their plan for their own).

It's long been talked about that Disney wants their own streaming service, which will soon host all of the Marvel stuff (taking most of it away from Netflix, one of their biggest rivals), as well as Star Wars and all the other properties and franchises that come with this deal. Shoot, the amount of cash the winner will eventually make on Avatar films alone could be staggering.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 20, 2018, 16:40

I think in the end Disney will win for two main reasons:

1. The initial contract with Fox is structured to give Disney advantages, e.g., they have more time to come up with counter offers, and they have the "right of last refusal", which means they can always outbid Comcast.
2. Murdoch would have to pay a ton of taxes if he took Comcast's all-cash offer. Disney's mostly stock offer would result in far less taxes being paid.

Pages: 1 [2]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.255 seconds.