Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mind Control
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Mind Control
on: December 11, 2017, 22:49

It appears to me, when a character is using Mind Control, that the minus that one has on their initial save is based on how many CPs the controller put into Mind Control.

Let's suppose that an NPC put 25 CP into it, which yields a -8 to the victim's save.

#1) Is that -8 only on the initial roll to save (for the victim)?

#2) Later on, each between-rounds phase, as well as each time the victim is ordered to do something against their nature, they get another roll at a "further penalty of -10". Is that the only penalty? Or do they get that initial -8 in addition to that?

#3) You know how the victim can "roll with" and add those points to their roll (on that initial save)? Can they do that for all further saves?

#4) I'm assuming that, when other characters try to help the victim to "snap out of it", that "further penalty of -10" is the only penalty, and it is not cumulative with the others.

The way that it is worded, saying "further penalty" makes it sound like it is cumulative, but that seems excessively harsh, especially with a really powerful psychic.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Jeff
Administrator
Post Re: Mind Control
on: December 12, 2017, 10:33

#1) Not exactly. The recovery roll starts out the *same* as the initial save number, and since the '-8' is reflected in that number, its carried over into the recovery saves.

#2) See #1.

#3) Not exactly. The victim can only 'roll' vs. the initial attack, but since the 'roll' is reflected in that number, its carried over into the recovery saves.

#4) Hopefully this is clear now 🙂

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: December 12, 2017, 13:22

Thanks, Jeff. It would seem that it's pretty important to 'roll' with that initial save, then, being as that chance will be reflected all the way through (with all later save attempts).

If that initial save was completely a surprise (say, the Mind Controller is invisible and doesn't need to speak), I'd normally be less inclined to allow the victim to 'roll' with the attack, but being as that will influence their later chances, I think I'll allow it after all.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Jeff
Administrator
on: December 13, 2017, 15:11

You should allow it when the victim qualifies for it, which they don't when it's a complete surprise (4.8.3).

-Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: December 14, 2017, 15:32

If I'm understanding correctly, when the antagonist is really proficient/tough with their Mind Control, those later chances (after the initial one) are really, really low (in our game, the person had a chance of -7; in other words, they had to roll a "1")

Even allowing the character a chance to 'roll with it (at +11 from having a huge Power score) left the PC with a chance of succeeding/throwing off the attack on only a 3 or less.

Fortunately, the mechanic for talking somebody out of it, if you have a really smart character doing so, is much better.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.463 seconds.