Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Increasing Mortality in MPRPG
Jeff
Administrator
Post Increasing Mortality in MPRPG
on: December 5, 2017, 02:05

I've noticed that lots of people have been experimenting with using Mighty Protectors for non-superhero campaigns (Brian Adams' Gamma World conversion, for example).

I'm really happy about this, because it speaks to the potential of the MP system in the future.

However, one thing MP does not do well is realistically fatal combat. MP is meant for traditional superhero battles, where it's not about killing. But this will be a problem if you try to use MP to run a DnD-style dungeon crawl, for example.

I've been tinkering with a few ideas, and it's looking like the best optional rule for increasing mortality is this:

*When the damage from an attack gets past the target's Hit Points, and spills back into their Power, the points that spill over are multiplied by 5."

Example: Korg the Barbarian hits a Nork Warrior for 18 points of kinetic damage. The Nork has 2 points of kinetic protection, 33 Power, and 7 Hits. The armor reduces the damage by 2, the Nork rolls with 3, and it takes 13 Hits - but its only got 7 Hits, so 6 points spill back into its Power. Those 6 hits get multiplied by 5, so the Nork takes 30 Power, not just 6. And since it only has 30 Power left after rolling with the attack, that takes him to 0 Hits and 0 Power. Or in other words, dead.

I'm going to keep experimenting with the multiplier; it may work better if it's x6 or x4 or something. But I'm pretty confident that this is the kind of optional rule needed to address this. I'll keep you all posted!

-Jeff

Grognardo
Street-Level Hero
Post Re: Increasing Mortality in MPRPG
on: December 11, 2017, 16:39

Great idea, Jeff! I was puzzling over how to port some of the more dangerous aspects of my SF setting into MP.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.104 seconds.