Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LuLu Cyber Monday 40% Off
dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
Post LuLu Cyber Monday 40% Off
on: November 27, 2017, 07:19

As in past years, LuLu is having a once-a-year Cyber Monday Sale: 40% off.

I just bought a copy of the "Mighty Protectors" hardcover.

I read on RPG.net several years ago that these LuLu Cyber Monday sales are win-win for buyers and creators, because LuLu absorbs these discounts itself. So they do not impact what creators are paid by LuLu. But I have no first hand knowledge whether that is true.

I have made Thanksgiving weekend/Cyber Monday purchases on LuLu for several years, and have never had anything other than a positive experience.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: LuLu Cyber Monday 40% Off
on: November 27, 2017, 11:50

That's a great idea, Dan!

Even though I've already purchased multiple copies of each (as gifts), this might be a good time to get a few more.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Jeff
Administrator
on: November 27, 2017, 13:53

Thanks for posting this, Dan!

Jack and I may be a lot of things, but one thing we're *not*, is salesmen. So a lot of this kind of stuff gets by us, when we ought to be promoting it.

Shared all over Facebook and G+. Thanks again. Huzzah!

-Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: November 28, 2017, 12:19

I went ahead and grabbed three more soft covers. I figure they'll make excellent gifts, if nothing else. At about $20 each, it was just too good of a bargain to pass up!

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
on: December 9, 2017, 07:21

I received my copy in the mail yesterday.

As in the past, I was very happy with the quick delivery and careful packaging by LuLu.

Unfortunately for me, I don't expect to have the time to really 'dive into' the book for a couple of weeks. But I did flip through it quickly. My preliminary, superficial impressions, for whatever they're worth (if anything), are:

1. I was very happy to see that the MP/V&V3 game book had a lot more Jeff Dee interior art than I had expected. The "Living Legends" rulebook had been a disappointment to me in this regard. Maybe not all the artwork was new, but a lot that wasn't dated 2017 was new to me nonetheless. This has always been an integral part of the allure of V&V for me. So i was really happy about this.

2. Multiverse. I was hoping for a little more than 15 pages on this topic, but, not having read even that 15 pages yet, it'd be unfair/crazy for me to say I wanted more. My lingering impression of the Living Legends rulebook was that it also had a substantial amount of 'universe' detail sprinkled throughout the rest of the text. So maybe that's the same with this MP/V&V3 rulebook.In my quick perusal, I didn't see game stats for the titular Mighty Protectors either, which did surprise me. But it did confirm my general impression after years of participating here that Jeff and Jack seem to prefer to include less of that sort of material than I personally would welcome. Could that be considered an 'old school' approach to game design/writing?

3. Comic Strips. Fantastic. I loved how every one seemed to reveal a little about the subject character(s), but then also raise more questions/possibilities.

4. Physical Book. My copy of the 160(-ish) page hardback was heftier than I expected, which I note in a very positive way. I'm not an expert on layout or fonts, but at first glance the interior text and layout seemed similar to that of V&V 2.1, only with larger font size now (which my middle-aged eyes very much appreciate). While maybe not the most 'modern,' I thought the interior text, formatted as it was (plainly but cleanly), was very easy to read and very clear. But I also did note that, even after a 40% Cyber Monday discount, this book was still more expensive than the copy of Modiphius' full color 400 page "Conan" RPG game book that I bought online a few weeks ago. I put the MP/V&V3 book down reluctantly after just a few minutes, very satisfied. i look forward to having the chance to read it more thoroughly.

5. Surreal. Unique among any RPG publications that I've ever bought, holding this book in my hands for the first time yesterday night I had an initial flash of what I guess might be characterized as 'emotion,' as I reflected for a few seconds on how it almost seemed unlikely, after 7 years, that this publication, an actual physical book, was actually in my hands.

6. I laughed to myself, not even having time to read this book now, that as i set it down I was already wondering about the timing/status of the 'revised for MP/V&V3' versions of BIll Willingham's "Death Duel" and "Doctor Apocalypse."

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.128 seconds.