Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Converting Mutants & Masterminds to Mighty Protectors!
bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Converting Mutants & Masterminds to Mighty Protectors!
on: October 13, 2017, 13:02

I've come up with some guidelines for converting 2nd Edition M&M (sorry, I don't have the 3rd edition) to Mighty Protectors. It's good enough for at least a rough translation of stats and abilities.

You can read it at: https://adamantium2017.wordpress.com/2017/10/13/converting-mutants-masterminds-2-0-to-mighty-protectors/

Tempest
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Converting Mutants & Masterminds to Mighty Protectors!
on: October 13, 2017, 14:42

Thank you for this, and I'm going to be giving it the serious read-through. M&M 2E is one of those RPGs that I think of "also-ran"s with regard to myself and my gaming group. We gave it a run-through a few years ago and found that, first off, the d20 elements in the system were what gave it the big head-shake; as has been stated on other forums, every feat you've got is one less thing you can't do in the game. The kiss of death, however, was the Damage/Toughness chart; while, over a long enough statistical analysis period, you probably would end up with a normal distribution curve in terms of outcome, the game ain't about long-term aggregate outcomes - it's about results at the moment. The rolls, especially when the villains got crap results (as did happen in the one game we played), erased all drama and suspense with regard to roll outcomes - the directives, that you should award hero points as compensation and, through fiat, just declare that the roll was a minimum damage result outcome, make the die rolls superfluous; why not just dictate what the outcomes are and let the players live with that? On the other hand, the game design was excellent: assigning specific and very differentiated power levels to any specific attribute and/or power, along with giving straight-out attack and defense scores (adjusted by power level and balanced for Toughness and damage) for each character was something that I felt that fit the superhero gaming genre very, very well..

I collected pretty much every hardcopy work that Green Ronin released for M&M 2E, along with more than a few of the online items. While the game remains one of those things - especially the Freedom City and Paragons sourcebooks - something that I pull out and read over just to sink into and have fun, having such works, and a world, to shuffle over to V&V is most welcome. As today's my birthday, thank you for the present. 🙂

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: October 13, 2017, 16:18

You're welcome and Happy Birthday!

Unfortunately, I think I put this up too fast. There are lots of typos but more importantly I think I need to redo the Characteristic conversion table. The reason is that Mutants & Masterminds uses a 0 to 40 Difficulty Scale, whereas Mighty Protectors uses a +10 to -10 Difficulty Scale. Therefore, when converting M&M2.0 stats to MP stats, they need to count for half as much.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: October 14, 2017, 11:24

I've fixed the typos (I hope) and updated the guidelines. This is a work in progress, though, so expect more changes in the future.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: October 28, 2017, 20:28

I've updated this with two small additions: converting M&M's Difficulty Class and Drawbacks to Mighty Protectors.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.143 seconds.