Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vehicle Crew
Masked-Rev-
enger
Street-Level Hero
Post Vehicle Crew
on: October 7, 2017, 23:50

Can I use System Spaces to purchase Companions for my vehicle to represent crew? For example , the pilot of the plane, or the engineer that keep's the car running, or even the crew of a sailing ship?

If I did it this way, would the crew only be usable if the vehicle were in play, or could they travel with the character that owns the vehicle the same way other companions could?

celestiale-
ditor
Superhero
Post Re: Vehicle Crew
on: October 8, 2017, 14:37

As a GM, I would evaluate the player motives for doing this. I've played with a LOT if power gamers. If I did allow it, I would bind the crew to the vehicle, and only allow them in play when the vehicle was. For example, a cruise ship or luxury yacht has a dedicated crew (sometimes rotating by shift), and the ship is their job. The PC won't encounter them outside their vehicle duties, without a good story reason, and their loyalty is to the ship, not the hero.

In that context, I have seen many other games allow the ewuivalent of Companions or Computer Brains, etc., to be "nested," resulting in obscene point shaving benefits.

Masked-Rev-
enger
Street-Level Hero
on: October 8, 2017, 15:49

Yeah, that makes sense. I think that I would say that the crew would be tied to the vehicle myself, too, as it was purchased with the vehicle's CP's, not the character, and I'm okay with that. Where I am coming from was I am making a pirate themed character, and was trying to figure out how to give this character a boat. Then it occured to me, most boats require an actual crew to run, not just a single pilot.

I also started to think about joint vehicles made by a whole team of characters. Such large vehicles could have dedicated crew that operate and maintain the ship while the PC's weren't there. Like a SHIELD Helicarrier, for example. Which is what lead to the second question... could such a team with such a vehicle use the crew as a personal army. As a GM myself, I would say no, for the reasons you mentioned, they are dedicated to the vehicle.

I also thought this could apply to bases, as well. In this case, I'm thinking of Jarvis for the Avenger's Mansion, or Alfred at the Batcave. Neither ever go on adventures with their hero(es), but they are companions that are attached to the bases.

I guess, in the end, these kinds of characters don't really need to be stated out like a companion would, so maybe doing this would be a waist of time. I mean, would Alfred really need stats?

The more I think about this, the more I think I'm over thinking about this.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: October 9, 2017, 12:15

FWIW, when I got the chance to play MHP with Jeff and Jack this spring, they were nice enough to let us keep our character sheets, plus copies of a few others. One of those others was the character of Bowhunter (who you can see pictures of in the rules). Bowhunter has a Companion of his butler, Ives. And they made out an entire character sheet for Ives, even though (I would imagine) Ives would very rarely go on adventures with Bowhunter.

So it's probably up to each GM. Sure Jarvis or Alfred or Ives won't likely be involved in many combat situations. But there might be some fun non-combat role playing scenes where it's nice to have stats for the character nonetheless.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

celestiale-
ditor
Superhero
on: October 11, 2017, 21:59

One value in paying CP for a crew is then the question of "Is there a crew and how competent are they?" is solvex bwfore you need it. E.g. "The're all 70 CP normals," means basic stats, and maybe a weapon, in a pinch"l

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.103 seconds.