Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gear question
Toric
Street-Level Hero
Post Gear question
on: September 2, 2017, 12:09

Just so I understand the Gear ability modifier, I have a question I hope someone here can answer.

Let's say you've created a powered armor hero along the lines of Iron Man. You have Armor, Heightened Strength, Flight, Heightened Senses and Power Blast along with Heightened Intelligence. The first five abilities are all tied to the Armor. Heightened Intelligence is not tied to the Armor.

My question is, do you apply the Gear ability modifier to each individual power, essentially making each of them 5 points cheaper? Or would that just apply to the Armor ability? And do you even have to apply the Gear ability modifier for a suit of powered armor? I mean, it is clearly gear but then it can be damaged, taken, etc.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Gear question
on: September 2, 2017, 13:08

What I tend to do for powered-armor type characters like Iron Man is to give each Ability that seems breakable the Multi-Function Gear modifier (see MP p. 91). The protective aspect of Armor doesn't seem to be breakable, so I don't give it the MFG modifier, but I do give it the Activation modifier (MP p.85) so that it must be "activated" to be used, like Iron Man's armor. He activates it once and it stays active until he deactivates it.

Example:

CP Ability
15 Armor: 12 points (20), Activation Required (-5)
15 Power Blast: d8+d10 (17.5), Multi-Function Gear (-2.5)
15 Flight: 16/256, 87 mph (20), Multi-Function Gear (-2.5)
13 Ht. Senses: Full (10), Ranged (+5), Multi-Function Gear (-2.5)
18 Ht. Strength: +20 (20), Multi-Function Gear (-2.5)

Toric
Street-Level Hero
on: September 2, 2017, 16:03

Okay, so taking this a bit further...

Assume this character is a 150 CP character with -15 in Weaknesses for a total of 165.

70 CP were spent on BC. That means there are 95 CP for abilities (including the -15 for weaknesses). The example you provided above is 76 points on abilities. In that case, the extra 19 points could theoretically be spent to improve those abilities listed above, correct? So long as they don't exceed the caps of BC 40, Abilities 30 and Damage 15.

So with regards to a 150 CP character, could it look like this?

CP BC
10 St 30
12 En 12
14 Ag 14
18 In 26
16 Cl 16

CP Ability
15 Armor: 12 points (20), Activation Required (-5)
18 Power Blast: 2d10 (20), Multi-Function Gear (-2.5)
23 Flight: 32/512, 174 mph (25), Multi-Function Gear (-2.5)
13 Ht. Senses: Full (10), Ranged (+5), Multi-Function Gear (-2.5)
18 Ht. Strength: +20 (20), Multi-Function Gear (-2.5)
8 Ht. Intelligence: +8 (8)
-10 Nemesis: As Powerful, Uncommon
-5 Dependent: Occasional Trouble

If the above is good per the rules, to answer my question about whether the modified CP or original total applies to the caps, would I be able to swap out the above Armor ability with the following?

CP Ability
30 Armor: 18 points (35), Activation Required (-5)

With the ability modifier of activation required, a 35 CP ability costs 30. Does that satisfy the ability cap of 30 for a 150 CP character? Or does it not because the total before the modifier (35 in this case) is what we're looking at? Page 18 seems to indicate that this would be legal because the total CP cost after all modifiers are taken into account is what we're concerned with but I might be reading it wrong.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: September 2, 2017, 21:33

Yes, your character example looks fine.

If the above is good per the rules, to answer my question about whether the modified CP or original total applies to the caps, would I be able to swap out the above Armor ability with the following?
CP Ability
30 Armor: 18 points (35), Activation Required (-5)

According to the rules "These limits apply to both the final cost paid by the character for an Ability or BC, and the base cost of the Ability or BC."

Because the maximum base points of an Ability for a 150 CP character is 30, you could have Armor: 16 points (30), Activation (-5), Total Cost = 25. Or you could have Armor: 16 points (30), Activation (-5), Hardened +6 points (+5), Total Cost = 30.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: September 5, 2017, 13:12

So, just to be clear, since the limit applies to the base cost as well, one can NOT take the 18 point one, even if it is modified (by the -5) to keep it within the Ability cap?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: September 5, 2017, 13:35

Quote from Majestic on September 5, 2017, 13:12
So, just to be clear, since the limit applies to the base cost as well, one can NOT take the 18 point one, even if it is modified (by the -5) to keep it within the Ability cap?

Correct.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.121 seconds.