Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Fringe" Bronze Age Super Heroes
dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
Post "Fringe" Bronze Age Super Heroes
on: August 9, 2017, 11:38

In anticipation of the release of the hard copy of the "MP" rulebook, I have been looking over some of my (non-Marvel or DC) Bronze Age comic books and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about any of the following:

1. "Mighty Crusaders" 1983 reboot from Red Circle/MLJ. Hooked by the #1 issue, I remember buying the first several issues of this series without having any idea that this was a revival of some Silver Age characters and was immediately underwhelmed. Presumably for legal reasons, the old characters seemed to've been changed little and even the villains were culled from an earlier, sillier age. Much later, I bought some of the solo, spin off series because, for example, Jim Sterank drew a couple of covers of "The Fly" and Alex Toth drew "The Fox" and Gray Morrow drew "The Black Hood." For me personally, the title "Mighty Portectors" inevitably invokes this "Mighty Crusaders" title.

2. Atlas/Seaboard from 1975. The short-lived rival to Marvel founded by (an allegedly angry) Martin Goodman. I bought some of these in 25 cent bins as a kid in the 1980s at local comic book conventions. My personal favorites were not really super heroes, most notably "Planet of Vampires" (which was sort of like a mix of "I am legend" and "Planet of the Apes") and Howard Chaykin's pseudo-immortal pulp hero, 'The Scorpion." The "Destructor" was not as good as I had hoped, seeing as it featured work of Ditko and Wally Wood, but I liked the character and his origin and have thought about making him into an "MP" character. I also liked "The Phoenix," which was a guy who stole an alien battle suit in order to fight off a 'stealth' alien invasion. Less fondly remembered by me were "Tiger-man" and "The Brute." Weirdly, all the titles seemed to have gotten entirely new creative teams for their 3rd issues, which mostly radically charged the look and concepts of the characters. But then there were (mostly) no 4th issues, as the line folded.

3. Charlton in the 1970s.
I was too young to ever buy any of the 1960s 'Action Heroes' like Blue Beetle and Captain Atom and the Question, and the other characters that might've been the basis for "Watchmen" in 1986. But I did really like John Byrne's post-apocalyptic "Doomsday +1" and "Six Million Dollar Man" and, to a lesser degree, "Space 1999." E-Man never did click with me, though.

Any thoughts?

GiantGoril-
la
High-Powered Superhero
Post Re: "Fringe" Bronze Age Super Heroes
on: August 9, 2017, 20:25

My favorite: American Flagg!

I was into Charisma before it was Cool.

bcholmes
Cosmic Superhero
on: August 11, 2017, 07:50

The examples that pop into my mind are non-comics:

1. The Freedom Force. Wikipedia reminds me that it was from 1978. I so wanted this Saturday-morning cartoon to make sense. I mean, a new super-team? On Saturday morning TV? What's not to like? Well, it turns out I enjoy actual story-telling.

2. Electra Woman and Dyna Girl (1976 -- holy crap, I'm old!). The show has been revisited twice, including the incredibly neat movie with Hannah Hart and Grace Helbig.

GiantGoril-
la
High-Powered Superhero
on: August 11, 2017, 19:00

Radioactive Man and Fallout Boy
From Bongo comics

I was into Charisma before it was Cool.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: August 12, 2017, 14:49

I can't remember every "alternative" comic that I tried, and I'm not sure all of them qualify as 'Bronze Age', but here's a small list of the ones I remember buying (usually indicating that I bought more then one issue):

Elfquest
Cerebus
Amercian Flagg
DNAgents
Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles
Concrete
Lone Wolf and Cub
Love and Rockets
Usagi Yojimbo

PS: This answer isn't what you asked for but I don't think I ever read any of the titles that you mention.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.138 seconds.