Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Homer Grimsby...
Captain-
Grognard
Superhero
Post Homer Grimsby...
on: August 4, 2017, 01:53

How old, approximately, was Homer Grimsby in 1982?

Jeff
Administrator
Post Re: Homer Grimsby...
on: August 4, 2017, 10:26

See "Unsynched Time", p. 140.

-Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: August 4, 2017, 12:40

That's a pretty clever workaround to the issue of some heroes (and other characters) seeming to never age in the comics.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Tempest
Cosmic Superhero
on: August 4, 2017, 18:37

I do not have access to the "Unsynched Time" document, but Majestic's comment links in to one of my private theorums. To wit; all "superheroes", super-powered or not, are linked by their one, unerasable, eternal gift: They are all immortal. Bruce Wayne, despite having been born in (taking Detective Comics #27 as contemporaneous with his first "actual" appearance, and assuming he was twenty-nine at the time) 1910, putting him now well over the centenarian mark. Peter Parker, if we're to put him at fifteen/sixteen in 1962 with Amazing Fantasy #15, would have been born in 1946/47 (kind of fitting, working into the opening cusp of the Baby Boomers), and thus now in the seventy/seventy-one range. And this power of theirs has the benefit of extending to every single person they know and associate with - even moral ne'er-do-wells such as Steve Lombard and Jonah Jameson, not to mention the assorted villains, have remained untouched by the passing of moments and years. Part of this, as well, is that there seem to be absolutely no permanent injuries sustained as a result of constant scrapping; sure, characters may die every once in a while, but that ends up being a temporary condition more often than not - characters like Manhunter and Captain Marvel (Marvel version, natch) being notable exceptions to this rule.

While I might be giving the impression as to being rather sardonic and/or sarcastic about the situation, the fact of the matter is that I wouldn't have it any other way; superheroes that are established as eternal and unchanging (power alterations/rebirths notwithstanding) end up committing what I would term a major breach of contract with the reader if they do suddenly start playing by the same rules as the rest of us; the Dark Knight Returns-type series are one-offs that make their note because they stand against type. Stories that do have the characters - protagonist, antagonist and supporting alike - aging at a steady, measurable pace that is roughly coterminous with what we laughingly refer to as the "real world", by their nature, end up becoming more like prolonged television mini-series or novels: they have a defined beginning, middle and end. Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley/Cory Walker's Invincible fits into this latter mode perfectly, and I would suspect that we will tend to see more of these kinds of novelistic superhero comics series forthcoming over the next decade. As a brief note, when my brother and I saw Paul Smith (X-Men) down at the Silver Snail in '84, he predicted that the sort of story progression and finale that Invincible embraced was going to become the mainstream. Nice to see that the man's future vision has at least found some expression in truth.

Jeff
Administrator
on: August 5, 2017, 18:50

"Unsynched Time" is described on p. 140 of Mighty Protectors, Tempest. I should have specified.

-Jeff

Captain-
Grognard
Superhero
on: August 7, 2017, 02:44

So, Homer is temporally unsynched. He'll likely be enjoying his retirement for a very long time.

The reason I was asking about it is that a major historical event took place in 1967 on Mighty Protectors Earth-GB (CHESS exists there) and I wanted to relate it to the history of CHESS on MPE-Prime.

Would Homer have been head of the organization at that time, or would he have been a lower-ranking agent?

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.09 seconds.