Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So, about Stealth.
Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
Post So, about Stealth.
on: August 2, 2017, 14:22

Okay, I'm still not sure I understand how stealth is handled in MP.

There's a discussion of sneaking at one point, and actively hiding behind cover, but if you've got someone who is trying to use distractions, clutter and shadows to stealth around the battlefield, is that even a thing? Is it don't as some kind of resisted test? The target acquisition rules seem to sort-of, vaguely imply its doable, but the process is unclear.

Anyone got an opinion?

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: So, about Stealth.
on: August 3, 2017, 12:50

All I see on Stealth is the bit on p. 104 (3.1.5.1). It appears that anyone can 'sneak', which makes things tougher for others to locate them with Basic senses.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: August 3, 2017, 13:34

Yeah, but you clearly see people in the comics who do more than that; trying to circle around in the shadowy warehouse to ambush someone in the middle of a fight for example. There are rules for doing target acquisition, so it seems like the game sort of passively supports the process, but it doesn't seem to discuss how its done, either.

Jeff
Administrator
on: August 4, 2017, 11:01

Circling around in a shadowy warehouse to ambush someone in the middle of a fight:

Let's assume that both characters have a 12 Agility save, and an 11 Intelligence save. And neither has any *special* senses or stealth ability.

1) The target gets a perception task check for free (see 3.1.5, last paragraph).

2) The chance is 11 (the target's IN save) minus 2 (the sneaking character's AG save -10: see 3.0.2.4), i.e. 9 or less.

3) 'Shadowy' doesn't sound like it rises to the level of 'Basic Darkness' (see the Darkness Ability). Let's say the GM rates the task 'Challenging', for a further -2 modifier (see 3.0.2.2). So now they need to roll a 7 or less.

4) The target does not have 'Global' vision (see the Heightened Senses Ability). Hearing and Scent are both Global and Ranged, so either could be used to detect the sneaker, but they're also Basic. So, we could pick either one. Let's say Hearing.

5) However, their opponent is *sneaking*. Which reduces their Basic sense of Hearing to 'None'.

6) The target makes their d20 Perception task check, needing to roll a 7 or less, and the GM consults the Acquiring Targets table (see 4.6), reading the results for 'Sense Used: None'.

7). If the Perception check fumbles, fails, or succeeds, then "The character perceives nothing, and therefor can't attack the target and suffers a defense penalty of -3 or -6 depending on the situation (see 4.7.2)."

8) If the Perception check is a critical success, then "The character senses that someone or something is around, but they can't locate, identify, or target it and suffers a penalty of -3 to defend against it."

Remembering, of course, that the sneaking character is also in this shadowy warehouse. If the GM calls for it, they'll also have to make a Perception check to locate their target.

1) That Perception check is free (see 3.1.5, last paragraph).

2) The chance is 11 (the sneaker's IN save) minus 2 (their target's AG save -10: see 3.0.2.4), i.e. 9 or less.

3) Apply the GM's the task difficulty of 'Challenging' (a further -2 modifier) for the shadows. So now they need to roll a 7 or less.

4) The target is within the sneaker's field of Vision, which is a Full sense. And they're not Sneaking.

5) The sneaker makes their d20 Perception task check, needing to roll a 7 or less, and the GM consults the Acquiring Targets table (see 4.6), reading the results for 'Sense Used: Full'.

6). If the Perception check fumbles, the sneaker can only 'crudely' perceive their target, suffering a -3 to hit. If it merely fails, they clearly sense their target and may attack without penalty. If it succeeds, they clearly sense their target and the GM may point out some obvious details. If it's a critical success, they clearly perceive the target and the GM may throw in some subtler details.

-Jeff

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: August 6, 2017, 23:59

That's kind of how I thought it would work, but thanks for spelling it out, Jeff.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.086 seconds.