Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Buying Armor multiple times.
techogre
Superhero
Post Buying Armor multiple times.
on: July 13, 2017, 10:17

Is there any rule the spells out you can't buy Armor twice (for example at the 2.5cp level) and add the results? I realize the common sense answer is no, but I didn't see that spelled out.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Buying Armor multiple times.
on: July 13, 2017, 19:30

You can buy additional armor and apply different modifiers to it, in effect 'buying it twice'.

In War Heroes, there is the "Armored T-Rex". It has thick hide defined as Armor 2/1/1/2 (10). It also has additional armor (defined as armor plating) of +4/+3/+3/+2 (+25), Gear (-5), Partial Coverage / Light (-10), total cost = 10 CPs. It's total armor is 6/4/4/4 or 2/1/1/2 if the armor plating is destroyed or bypassed with a -3 called shot penalty.

Hope that helps.

techogre
Superhero
on: July 14, 2017, 10:51

That's a little different. One is "full" armor, the other is limited and that makes sense.

I mean, can I just buy Armor at the 2.5cp level 10 times (25cp) and get a total of 20 points of armor rather than the 14 points as a single purchase for the same cost. I have a player who loves to hunt for by-the-book loopholes.

As is par for THAT course I would tell him to cut it out, he would whine for a few minutes, I would get my way. 🙂

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 14, 2017, 17:36

Quote from techogre on July 14, 2017, 10:51
That's a little different. One is "full" armor, the other is limited and that makes sense.

I mean, can I just buy Armor at the 2.5cp level 10 times (25cp) and get a total of 20 points of armor rather than the 14 points as a single purchase for the same cost. I have a player who loves to hunt for by-the-book loopholes.

As is par for THAT course I would tell him to cut it out, he would whine for a few minutes, I would get my way. 🙂

There may not (yet) be a rule that explicitly states that you cannot do what you're proposing but it flies against common sense. What you're proposing would be no different than buying Power Blast at the 2.5 CP level 10 times, getting 10d6+10 damage for 25 CPs.

So, no, you can't do that.

GiantGoril-
la
High-Powered Superhero
on: July 15, 2017, 12:51

What is the rule when you randomly roll armor twice?

The tyrannosaur example is like a hero with amor skin, and then someone added gear armor.

Ultimately I think an easy to understand rule needs to be established, like "one natural set of armor, plus one gear armor"
Maybe the authors can weigh in on this.

I was into Charisma before it was Cool.

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 20, 2017, 11:32

This is why I think there probably should be an armor point cap like there is a damage cap, in addition to the cost cap. If nothing else, its not self-evident that you can't stack Armor and Force Field, but that shouldn't let you play games with being able to exceed the total defense you'll get out of it just because it came from two sources.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 20, 2017, 12:21

Because of the damage caps, for my game I ran at our small local con, he built a character that had layers and layers of defense. Not only Armor (and Invulnerability), but Heightened Defense and a lot of other things. Combining that with the various defensive stances and his ability to interpose himself (he wrapped himself around the big bad with his Stretching, then intervened when the big bad was attacked) was pretty obnoxious.

The players fighting them got pretty frustrated, as it was nearly impossible to do any damage to their targets (except with mental attacks).

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 20, 2017, 22:18

Well, there's only so much you're going to be able to do about different kinds of defenses; Armor, Invulneability and Heightened Defense are affecting different things (one effects Defense, one Protection and one is just a thing unto itself) but it still seems like some work needs to be done here, since even using the rolled system you can, as noted, get defenses from as many as four sources (the two Defense rolls and potentially the two miscellaneous rolls, since you could end up with something like Cybernetics and Body Power). And as I've noted before, while you're not completely impervious (as your mental attack comment), its not like you're ever going to regret having a really good overall defense against Kinetic attacks.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 21, 2017, 15:40

Yep, my son commented - after our game in which there were a ton of Kinetic attacks (guns, HTH weapons, etc.) - that he was going to build a character with massive defenses against Kinetic damage. Not every game will necessarily have so many Kinetic damage sources, but it will probably be the most common, for sure.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 28, 2017, 19:09

Hard to see how it couldn't, at least in a typical superhero game. Just the fact that conventional firearms and most strength-based attacks are kinetic is going to likely tilt the commonality. Also, just using the tables as measure of commonness--how many attack powers do anything but Kinetic and Energy? Not a lot. So I suspect for most people piling up those protection points on those two is going to be a good idea, even if it means the occasional Bio or Entropy attack clocks you pretty good.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.11 seconds.