Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SR, Knock-back, and Damage to Substances
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post SR, Knock-back, and Damage to Substances
on: July 6, 2017, 15:27

I ran my first 3.0 session a week ago, and it went swimmingly, for the most part. I really liked the system, as did my fellow GM and players.

The one area where things seemed a bit strange to some of us was how much damage was made to substances due to knockback, or when characters directly tried to damage items to create holes in a wall.

For example, Hotshot tried to use his Flame Abilities to blast a hole in the ceiling, and found it took him multiple attempts to even make a hole small enough for a person to squeeze through.

I like the chart, and it seems to work pretty smoothly, but the amount of damage done doesn't seem to be enough (at Standard Power Level) for superpowered characters to be able to use their Abilities to punch a hole in something.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: SR, Knock-back, and Damage to Substances
on: July 6, 2017, 21:38

This never seemed to be a problem with the various 3.0 campaigns that I have run over the last few years. Rolling low damage can be frustrating to players when they are deliberately trying to bust through a wall but in general I think the system works fairly well.

With a Standard-level 2d10 Power Blast (average damage = 11), I can knock a 2.5 foot hole (big enough for a man-sized character to move through) in an SR 5 Brick wall. That seems about right. When going against tougher materials I can always Push my attack, adding +2 damage to the roll. Or I can blast something multiple times in the same Round (see 4.5.1 Multiple Actions).

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 7, 2017, 13:02

Thanks for the response, bk. That's a good point about multiple attacks, as I/we hadn't thought of or considered that.

In this case, Hotshot pushed each time, which gave him an average damage of 11. With a target of concrete (SR 6), it meant his blasts were usually making a 1 foot wide hole, not wide enough for anyone to get through. It was indeed frustrating, especially since I had hand-waved an earlier blast through a wall (not in combat), and when he found during combat that it wasn't so easy.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: July 7, 2017, 16:05

I should also point out that as your players' characters gain xp and their damage goes up, this sort of thing becomes less of an issue, at least as far as "normal" walls and materials are concerned. Eventually, you get to a point where you're using SR 20 material against your players in order to give them sort sort of challenge. At least, that's what I had to do with my really long lasting campaign. 😉

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.079 seconds.