Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Transformation
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Transformation
on: June 21, 2017, 18:40

Overall I'm really liking just about everything with 3.0. There is one Ability that has me a bit puzzled, though, especially when one is converting a 2.1 character.

We no longer have the Transformation: Type A) Power Activation, which was one of the more powerful Powers in the older version of the game. And that's fine, but this new Transformation seems to be the Ability that best simulates that old ability, if you're moving a 2.1 edition character to 3.0.

It does seem weird to now have an Ability/Power that (more or less) reflects a weakness for a character. I guess that's sort of what the old Transformation: Type B) Weaker Form was before (in 2.1), also.

One of the stranger parts now is how long it takes (30 seconds), which effectively means one is rarely going to see it in combat. It would be nice to have some Modifiers to allow one to 'buy this down', especially for conversions of old characters (where the default was one action, or about 7.5 seconds, 1/4 of the time).

Realizing how it works now, I wonder about whether I should even use it or not to reflect a character who has an instant Shazam-like change, where they became more powerful in their stronger form, but have a weaker "civilian identity"?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Transformation
on: June 21, 2017, 18:48

I've got 1 CP left over when converting the PC I'm working on, so I thought: I wonder what I could buy for this character's 'weaker form'?

His CP is 166, so dividing that by 6 (and rounding down), then adding 4 for the 1 CP leaves us with 31 total points. He'd have to have BCs that average 6. All that and it would take 30 seconds for him to change back.

I'm thinking just leaving him alone, and by listing his Heightened BCs as Abilities, that reflects that he would lose them if he suddenly were affected by some sort of 'power dampener'.

I have no idea how to reflect the other things that ordinarily he would gain as part of his Transformation in 2.1 (before he gained 60 lbs. of muscle in addition to his stats all going to 24), other than the way his magical sword flies to him (that part I built right into his Special Weapon).

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 21, 2017, 19:42

You can use the Time Requirement modifier to buy down its 3 round activation time.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 22, 2017, 13:21

Do you mean the Takes Time Modifier? As a Utility-type of power (I would imagine it's not going to be used in combat often), the lowest it appears to go is 2 rounds.

Jeff
Administrator
on: June 22, 2017, 14:04

That has been amended, Majestic. You'll be able to go up and down the full range of time increments, for +/-(2.5) per step. Just like you can with Duration.

-Jeff

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 22, 2017, 14:04

You can get the point cost down fairly easily so your 166 CP hero could have a transformation as follows:

Transformation: to weaker form (base/6)+(cost*4)=31 pts (1), Time Requirement: 3 rounds reduced to 1" movement (+10), Requires
Speech (-2.5), Concentration (-2.5), PR=2 (-5). Total Cost = 1 CP

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 23, 2017, 13:33

Awesome. Thanks, guys!

I'd done something similar with another character, just a few days ago. He had a Regeneration power (for his 2.1 character) that he never really used. At first I wasn't going to include it at all, as it wasn't that essential an element of the character. But then I decided to build it for cheap, and I was able to use Modifiers like Limited (no Psychic) (-5) and Total Concentration to Maintain (-15). Doing this, I was able to keep his full 3 HP/round ability to heal for only 2.5 CP.

Edit: I like building it that way, but I'm still stuck with only BCs of around 6 each. I'll have to see if I can find a few more Mods to try to get those a little higher.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.131 seconds.