Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Dark Knight: Master Race": My Three Sentence Review
dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
Post "Dark Knight: Master Race": My Three Sentence Review
on: June 16, 2017, 20:55

Last week the final issue of this second sequel to "Dark Knight Returns" (issue #9 of an originally-planned 8 issue mini-series) was finally released after what feels like 2.5 or 3 years.

Here's my three sentence review of the whole thing, having read the final issue just now for the first time:

"Overall, it was better than I expected and feared at the time I purchased #1. Less Frank Miller art and writing than I had hoped. Surprisingly little plot spread out thinly over 9 issues (plus included mini comics)."

What did you think?

Tempest
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: "Dark Knight: Master Race": My Three Sentence Review
on: June 16, 2017, 22:57

Largely agreed overall, Dan; when issue #1 came out, I looked at the cover and thought, "Oh, God, not more of the Dark Knight Strikes Again/Strikes Back/Whatever it was AGAIN," but deigned to pick it up and at least give the shot. I was, I found, pleasantly surprised at how the series developed (although I think a major development was missed when, as it appeared to me, Bruce Wayne and Ellen Yindel did not end up putting something together relationshipwise), and, avoiding the evils of spoilers, the issue #8 development with regard to that...thing that happens to Bruce (there, managed to get out out of it without giving the whole farm away [adjusts spontaneously appearing bow tie while arrogantly tilting head up] Still got it.). Otherwise, I felt the villain/s were well chosen to avoid the "Aaaand here we go again" syndrome, and I was very pleased at how Superman was treated, with some opportunities for him to show his full power spectrum - and the absolute awe it inspires - without being b****-slapped around like he was in the last...rather regrettable Frank Miller outing. I felt that the...thing that happens to Bruce was a real bit of concept betrayal, but I'll let it go with the proviso that this is an alternate universe Dark Knight story - what happens here is apocryphal, and has no impact on the story that was told so brilliantly thirty years ago unless youze want it to. For me, it falls under the category of "Huh. Well, maybe," and is to be enjoyed as a pure fantasy. I am looking forward to the collected edition and how they manage those pure-Frank Miller mini-comics that were included.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.139 seconds.