Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two Morrows 50% Off Sale In June
dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
Post Two Morrows 50% Off Sale In June
on: June 8, 2017, 14:30

FYI: I just discovered today that Two Morrows Publishing is currently running a 50% off sale for the rest of the month. They publish a bunch of great comic book-related magazines, perhaps most famously "The Jack Kirby Collector."

I'm mentioning this sale here (as I think I did once before a few years ago) because so many of us here also like 1970s and 1980s super hero comic books, a broad topic covered extensively in their "Back Issue" magazine. "Back Issue" is currently on # 96, and I personally own a couple dozen of them, published over many years

At 50% off, each magazine is, like, $4.50 ish, roughly. Each purchase also comes with an immediately downloadable PDF.

I'm a multiple repeat customer over several years and placed an order myself again this morning.

I have absolutely no connection to Two Morrows, either personal, financial or otherwise. I have just found that when they run their periodic 50% off sales, the value-for-money on "Back Issue" magazine in particular, if you like 1970s and 1980s comic books as I do, is really off-the-charts.

dan2448
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Two Morrows 50% Off Sale In June
on: June 16, 2017, 11:17

Having finished reading through the first of several issues of "Back Issue" magazine I recently ordered, I thought there were a few bits of trivia in issue #94 (dated February 2017, the theme of which is,"Indie Superheroes!") that some here might find interesting:

1. Neal Adams did not actually draw Ms Mystic himself, even in its earliest comic book incarnation. He says in an interview that he agreed to do the title for Pacific Comics in the early 1980s in part to 'support the endeavor' (because they allowed artists to retain the rights to their new creations), and in part because he had apparently found someone who drew (passably) like him. So he apparently did rough layouts and this other artist did the rest, to the best of my knowledge uncredited.

2. Continuity Comics' notoriously erratic publishing schedules were not apparently due to slow creative work but instead due to broader market forces which dictated when advertising work was available (that paid better), and by the then-current cash flows at Continuity.

3. Even 30 years later, and despite interviews with substantially all the principals involved, no one was seemingly willing to explain exactly why various writers came-and-went from the "Justice Machine" comic book series so abruptly and repeatedly. They were all very willing to go into great detail in interviews about their own storylines and views of specific characters. But even 30 years later, it seems like that central subject to fans of the series was something they all seemed to think was better off left unaddressed publicly.

4. David Singer and John Carbonaro, who were both central to the dispute over the ownership to the rights to the "THUNDER Agents" in the mid-1980s, worked together and with Rich Buckler on Archie's 1983 revival of the old MLJ heroes (like The Shield). When the title to V&V 3e was announced as "Mighty Protectors" a year or so ago, my first thought was of the "Mighty Crusaders" comic book from 1983, teaming up all these MLJ heroes Justice League-style.

5. I had long wondered how John Carbonaro, apparently a clerk in a Texas comic book store, had come to acquire the rights to the "THUNDER Agents" from bankrupt, NYC-based Tower Publishing in the early 1980s. Apparently right before he was a clerk at that comic book store in Texas he was working as an accountant in New York City and a lady who happened to work at (folding) Tower happened to come into the office where he worked. Carbonaro asked her who he could talk to at Tower to buy the rights to the THUNDER Agents. And she did indeed apparently connect him to some decision maker there who obviously saw no value in the property and apparently happily agreed to sell him the rights for just a few thousand dollars, and even that paltry sum Carbonaro apparently got the guy to agree to allow him to pay in installments. It does make me wonder how good an accountant he might've been, however, if his next job was as a clerk in a comic book store. When Carbonaro wanted to buy these rights, he asked his friend David Singer, who apparently had recently graduated from law school but never passed the bar exam, to give him legal advice. Singer did so for cash-strapped carbonaro for, apparently $450 and a hamburger lunch. Singer later pointed to all these 'odd' facts in court to argue that he and Carbonaro did not actually have any attorney-client relationship. It all sounded so amateurish and 'rinky dink' to me.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.087 seconds.