Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2.91 General Questions
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post 2.91 General Questions
on: June 3, 2017, 03:29

We've been working on some character creation, and a couple more questions have come up:

1) Two different PCs are liking (or have received via random rolls) the Siphen Ability. I think it's saying that the amount of damage done (from Siphon) is what you get for that attack (only). In other words, it's not like a Carrier or Contact attack, where a character punches or hits a target with their Special Weapon, and they get to do both their HTH (or weapon) damage, and then they get to do the Siphon ability on top of that, is it? If it is (as I suspect) just the one amount, you'd have to pay the extra modifier, to have it be a Contact or Carrier attack, correct?

2) I'm especially keen to see what another GM who has some experience with this system (like Brian) thinks on this one, because I want to give an appropriate modifier for a possible Miscellaneous modifier:

Let's suppose a character takes Siphon at 2d8, and splits it so that he siphons 1d8 Hit Points and 1d8 Power. Normally, per the rules as written, you would round up on each (so he would round up on HP siphoned, and also round up on Power siphoned). If, instead of rounding up, he just took 1d8 each, would that little bit (not rounding on both amounts) be worth a Miscellaneous modifier of 2.5? We're talking only a half a point of damage, but it's happening twice every time he uses the Ability.

3) For Linked, we're told that it "It takes 1” of movement and PR=0 to activate (and deactivate) all of the Abilities in the group at once." So since there's no Power cost, the 'cost' is 1" of movement. Is that 1" of movement for each (linked) Ability? So if you have three linked Abilities, it would cost you 3" of movement?

And how long do Abilities then stay active, once they're "activated"? Does that 'activation cost' (of 3" of movement) last for an entire scene/encounter? Or is that a 'per turn' amount of movement I have to pay to keep them active?

Also, how exactly do I "deactivate" a suite of Linked Abilities, in cases where, say, a character has a suit of powered Armor with a bunch of Linked abilities built into that same Armor?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: 2.91 General Questions
on: June 3, 2017, 06:24

1) Two different PCs are liking (or have received via random rolls) the Siphen Ability. I think it's saying that the amount of damage done (from Siphon) is what you get for that attack (only). In other words, it's not like a Carrier or Contact attack, where a character punches or hits a target with their Special Weapon, and they get to do both their HTH (or weapon) damage, and then they get to do the Siphon ability on top of that, is it? If it is (as I suspect) just the one amount, you'd have to pay the extra modifier, to have it be a Contact or Carrier attack, correct?

Correct. Siphon does not add to a character’s HTH damage unless made to do so with either Contact or Carrier modifiers.

2) I'm especially keen to see what another GM who has some experience with this system (like Brian) thinks on this one, because I want to give an appropriate modifier for a possible Miscellaneous modifier:

Let's suppose a character takes Siphon at 2d8, and splits it so that he siphons 1d8 Hit Points and 1d8 Power. Normally, per the rules as written, you would round up on each (so he would round up on HP siphoned, and also round up on Power siphoned). If, instead of rounding up, he just took 1d8 each, would that little bit (not rounding on both amounts) be worth a Miscellaneous modifier of 2.5? We're talking only a half a point of damage, but it's happening twice every time he uses the Ability.

If you split points with Siphon, you do just that. If your Siphon does 2d8, split between Hit Points and Power, then you would roll 2d8 and split the amount between the two. For example, you roll 9 points (divided by 2, rounded up = 5) and siphon 5 Hit Points and 10 Power.

3) For Linked, we're told that it "It takes 1” of movement and PR=0 to activate (and deactivate) all of the Abilities in the group at once." So since there's no Power cost, the 'cost' is 1" of movement. Is that 1" of movement for each (linked) Ability? So if you have three linked Abilities, it would cost you 3" of movement?

No. It only costs 1” of movement to turn all of the abilities on at the same time.

And how long do Abilities then stay active, once they're "activated"? Does that 'activation cost' (of 3" of movement) last for an entire scene/encounter? Or is that a 'per turn' amount of movement I have to pay to keep them active?

All of the Linked Abilities would “stay active” until the character (or an outside force) turns them off.

Also, how exactly do I "deactivate" a suite of Linked Abilities, in cases where, say, a character has a suit of powered Armor with a bunch of Linked abilities built into that same Armor?

Per the Linked rules: “It takes 1” of movement and PR=0 to activate (and deactivate) all of the Abilities in the group at once.”

Capnobody
Street-Level Hero
on: June 3, 2017, 17:55

I would not allow the player to round up on a split between hp and power, somewhere else in the rules it states round down - possibly not in Siphon but as a general rule. Since they rolled 9, they get 4 and 4, or 4 and 5, but not 5 and 5.

Upon further inspection it looks like the rules actually say - round up here. I should have done the homework before writing the report... 😕

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 5, 2017, 12:27

Thanks, Brian!

As for splitting the points, there is a modifier on Siphon called 'Split Points' that talks about rounding up (if you divide the amount between Abilities), but since Power and Hit Points aren't Abilities, I don't think I'll allow a split between HP and Power either.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 6, 2017, 22:48

Eh, if its okay for Abilities, I don't see why its any worse with hits and power.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 10, 2017, 18:49

I convinced him to go with Power, and I'm honestly a bit concerned with the combo I've discovered (and which he has agreed to try). It works like this:

You take Siphon for Power, which nets you a 2 for 1. With 2d8 per Siphon attack, he will average a roll of 9, thus stealing 18 Power from his opponent (and adding it to his own).

The awesome combo is then with Willpower: Type A) Fortitude, where he gets to 'roll with' double. So when he's sitting at his max of 100 Power (which doesn't take him long), he can then 'roll with' 20 damage!!! 😮

Jeff
Administrator
on: June 19, 2017, 18:17

I'm not impressed. With (100) between his ST, EN, AG and IN, (15) in Fortitude, and (20) in Siphon, he's only got (15) left between his CL and whatever piddly little Ht Expertise or Ht Defense or whatever else he takes to try to optimize. Assuming those (100) points are split 25 each to ST, EN, AG and IN his accuracy and defenses aren't that great, and he can only punch for 2d6 damage. Yeah, he can roll with 20, but as I always tell my players, damage is damage. If you didn't get through to your opponent's Hits, you still weakened them. He'll take a little while to drop, but so will a lot of other character builds. Interesting, and probably a bit annoying, but hardly game-breaking IMO.

-Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: June 20, 2017, 01:16

Yeah, it's probably not game-breaking.

Here's more specifics on how he 'optimized':

He built his stats on 72 CP, getting plenty of boosts via Gear (Linked, Multi-Function, in his Armor). His BCs in order are ST 18, EN 12, AG 24, IN 16, CL 24.

His Siphon is also Gear (Linked to another device, his Special Weapon/Mace), so he got 2d8 damage for 12.5 CP.

His biggest spend was the 30 CP he spent on Armor (4/4/4/4/0).

For mental defense he bought Heightened Defense: Mental (only) for 7.5.

So his chance to hit with his Mace (and his Siphon) is 16 or less. He's got 70 Power and 20 HP, he's got 4 points of protection against the first 4 damage types, and his defenses are 3/3 (7 physical with his Shield).

He's a solid Tank character, but he's got no ranged attack, very little utility powers (Mental Ability: Translation being the only one), and he's a very front-line fighter, with no ability to move far on the battlefield (though a decent move, at 18").

He's also Uneducated, so has no Career at all.

Like you said, perhaps a bit annoying, but not game-breaking. Especially when a mentalist Mind Controls him. 🙂

Jeff
Administrator
on: June 20, 2017, 02:06

Also, his Physical Defense is probably not very impressive, making his Gear an attractive target for anyone with good accuracy and damage.

But yeah, he'll put up a real good fight 🙂

-Jeff

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.141 seconds.