Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A few questions...
techogre
Superhero
Post A few questions...
on: May 17, 2017, 19:17

Hello, fellow vigilantes! I've finally had the time to sit down and go over the latest (as of May 17) pre-release version of the rules.

I have a few questions and comments.

Comments and character creation questions. I apologize if they have already been answered.

1. Damage Cap - As far as I've been able to piece together this is the maximum average damage a power can do. E.g. A damage cap of 15 means you can't have an attack with more than about 2d10 + 1d8 (average 15.5, rounded down to 15). This was not spelled out, at least I couldn't find it in the rules. Is this correct?

2. Construction Method 2 - It seems to be missing a line for Normal. Following the existing entries, it should be BC Pts =50, Min = 3, Max = 15.

3. Examples of Damage Types - An extensive chart with Type -> Sub-Type -> Specific entries would be handy, ideally in a random rollable form. For example, Kinetic -> Low Pressure, High Pressure, Sonic, Vibration, Blunt, Sharp -> (Blunt) Punch, Fall, Club, Kick, etc. This would make some abilities (Absorption, Invulnerability)/weaknesses easier to pin down and randomly determine.

4. Defenses - Can they be negative values?

5. Absorbtion - See question 3.

6. Armour - Unlike most (all?) other protection powers it does not include subtype and specific options. Is this correct?

7. Density Change - Can it be purchased at 0 CP, or is this just to allow the purchase of several ability modifiers? For example, could you buy the base Density Change at the 0 CP level and add Duration 1 hour (+15 CP), Usable on Others (+10 CP), Stays Active (Continual, +5 CP), for a total of 30 CP? Would it be legal to buy the power at 0 CP? (actual cost is 1 CP since that's the minimum cost). Note this same question applies to other powers (i.e. Chemical Blast, Devitalization Ray, Power Blast, and others) that have 0 or negative power costs.

8. Devitization Ray - The 20 CP version is above the damage cap (d10+2d12 avg = 21, damage cap = 15 for Standard power level). How does the damage cap work in this case?

9. Emotion Control - A basic emotion chart, maybe with specific modifiers, would be handy. Example:

d6    Emotion
1     Happiness (+2 to tasks, -2 to hit in combat)
2     Sadness (-2 to tasks, +1 to hit all combat)
3     Fear (-2 to attack, +2 Mental and Physical Defence)
4     Anger (+2 to hit, +2 to damage, -2 Physical and Mental Defence)
5     Surprise (+2 to initiative)
6     Disgust (+1 to task, intuitive, -1 to hit, -1 damage)

10. Flame Abilities - Specify damage type (Energy -> Heat -> Fire)?

11. Flight - Deceleration?

12. Gravity Control - A table of how far you fall up each round, maybe some benchmarks for extra damage (e.g. after 1 turn 321", turn 2 1287", turn 3 2896" (d4 Kinetic -> Low-pressure damage), etc, all assuming earth and a rising terminal velocity (less air), etc.)

13. Ice Abilities (B) - Is the Break Point subject to the damage cap?

14. Invulnerability - See question 3.

15. Light Control - How does the damage cap apply to saves? This applies to Mind Control also.

16. Repulsion Blast - How does the damage cap apply to this?

17. Siphon - How does the damage cap apply to this?

18. Teleport - How does the damage cap apply if used on others offensively?

19. Transmutation - Does the damage cap apply?

20. Shared Charges - Would this table summarize the costs correctly?

Cost      Multiplier
+0 CP     0.7
+2.5 CP   1
+5 CP     1.5

21. Diminished Senses - Why is Blindness worth less than Deafness?

22. Scatter (4.7.5.1) - a chart would be handy

23. Jumping/Swimming - it would make more sense to place them near the paragraph where movement is calculated.

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: A few questions...
on: May 18, 2017, 13:58

Quote from techogre on May 17, 2017, 19:17
Hello, fellow vigilantes! I've finally had the time to sit down and go over the latest (as of May 17) pre-release version of the rules.

Comments and character creation questions. I apologize if they have already been answered.

1. Damage Cap - As far as I've been able to piece together this is the maximum average damage a power can do. E.g. A damage cap of 15 means you can't have an attack with more than about 2d10 + 1d8 (average 15.5, rounded down to 15). This was not spelled out, at least I couldn't find it in the rules. Is this correct?

That's right. It elided, though perhaps it could be clearer, on page 38.

2. Construction Method 2 - It seems to be missing a line for Normal. Following the existing entries, it should be BC Pts =50, Min = 3, Max = 15.

I suspect Jeff assumed PCs would not be built as normals.

3. Examples of Damage Types - An extensive chart with Type -> Sub-Type -> Specific entries would be handy, ideally in a random rollable form. For example, Kinetic -> Low Pressure, High Pressure, Sonic, Vibration, Blunt, Sharp -> (Blunt) Punch, Fall, Club, Kick, etc. This would make some abilities (Absorption, Invulnerability)/weaknesses easier to pin down and randomly determine.

It also might, however, assume some exclusiveness that isn't intended.

4. Defenses - Can they be negative values?

I don't see anything indicating they can't. Though you'd have to work at it using the two commonest generation methods.

6. Armour - Unlike most (all?) other protection powers it does not include subtype and specific options. Is this correct?

I'm sure you could apply a modifier to narrow them to subtype and the like, but it doesn't seem to be assumed to be a common enough case to justify a specail entry in the power.

8. Devitization Ray - The 20 CP version is above the damage cap (d10+2d12 avg = 21, damage cap = 15 for Standard power level). How does the damage cap work in this case?

Good question.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 18, 2017, 15:14

Quote from techogre on May 17, 2017, 19:17

Welcome, techogre! It's nice to have another person delving into these rules!

I've had (and submitted) the same question, and agree with Paragon that it should be explained more clearly. I also think that rounding should be spelled out better. For example, in the case you present, I would round 15.5 to 16, and thus it would be over the Damage Cap (and I wouldn't allow it until the player shaved it down a little bit).

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

techogre
Superhero
on: May 18, 2017, 16:39

I find rounding in the rules to be a little inconsistent. Even if the general rule is to round in the player's favor, it would go a long way to streamlining things.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.145 seconds.