Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Power Level of Adversaries?
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Power Level of Adversaries?
on: April 19, 2017, 16:20

One thing I haven't noticed as being articulated: How does one go about figuring out appropriate challenges for one's PCs?

In other words, is there a way of figuring out how many (and how tough) bad guys should be, in relation to the heroes they're facing? I suppose one could simply compare total CPs, but does that end up being fair and equitable?

If I make a powerful supervillain (350 CP), and I face that supervillain with a bunch of street-level heroes (say, four of them, each Low powered, so 100 CP each), will that produce a fair or challenging encounter?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Alienist
Street-Level Hero
Post Re: Power Level of Adversaries?
on: April 19, 2017, 16:36

This is addressed in section 8.3 (p.149). It states "a character with (20) more CPs is roughly twice as powerful, and a character with (20) fewer CPs is roughly half as powerful. So, four characters with (110) CPs are a roughly equal match for a single character with (150) CPs", with considerations noted for superior numbers or powers that give either side an insurmountable advantage.

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 19:56

In particular, if you're using semi-random characters on either side, characters with underwhelming Defenses are going to distort this.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 20:59

Thanks, Alienist. I'd missed that (though it sounds familiar, so perhaps somebody posted something here about it or I'd read it and not realized it was there).

And you're right, Paragon. Depending on how random one goes, some characters could be severely underpowered or weaker.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 20, 2017, 11:39

Even if they aren't underpowered per se--as you're spending the whole 150 point value somewhere--some of the defenses are more specialized than others, so if you only have one of those you're liable to be brittle. At least on the offense end, all of them seem generally applicable.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.098 seconds.