Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Example of Random Character Generation
bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Example of Random Character Generation
on: April 19, 2017, 13:22

3.0 ™ / MIGHTY PROTECTORS ™ CHARACTER CREATION EXAMPLE

So you want to randomly create a new hero to play in your GM’s Standard level (see p. 11) campaign? You’re in luck! Here’s a step-by-step example of how you would create a character:

STEP ZERO: Print a Mighty Protectors Character Sheet

STEP ONE: Roll d100 to randomly determine your character’s birthplace. I roll an 83: my character is a “Foreigner” – now I must roll on the Known Regions table. I roll a 65: my character was born in Sweden, so I write that on the Birthplace line.

STEP TWO: Species. Roll d100 to determine the species of your character. I roll a 15, so my character is human.

STEP THREE: Culture. My character is human and the campaign is a typical superhero campaign set in a modern U.S. city, so I write “Modern” on the Culture line.

STEP FOUR: Age. I decide to use the “standard” method of rolling 2d10+10 to determine age. I roll a 7 (+10) = 17 years old. I write that down on the Age line.

STEP FIVE: Gender. There are four sub-steps involved: Gender Identity, Gender Expression, Biological Sex, and Sexual Attraction.

• Roll d100 for Gender Identity: I roll a 41, so my character is a Woman.
• Roll d100 for Gender Expression: I roll a 97, so my character is Androgynous.
• Roll d100 for Biological Sex: I roll a 44, so my character is Cisgender.
• Roll d100 for Sexual Attraction: I roll a 96, so my character is Bisexual.
• On the Sex line I write down “Bi Cis Androgynous Woman”.

STEP SIX: Characteristics.

• 1st d10 BC roll: is an 8, so my character’s first randomly rolled stat is an 18 IN.
• 2nd d10 BC roll: is a 4, so my second randomly rolled stat is a 16 EN.
• 3rd d10 BC roll: is a 7, which is IN, but I have already rolled IN. So I start at the top of the chart which is ST, so my character’s third stat is a 14 ST.
• 4th d10 BC roll: is a 3, which is EN, but I’ve already rolled that too so the next stat down is AG -- so my character has a 12 AG.
• 5th d10 BC roll: I don’t need to roll for the last stat, so my character has a 10 CL. I write those stats down on the sheet.

STEP SEVEN: Weight & Mass. According to the rules: “Adult female characters roll 5d4. Multiply the result by 10 to find the character’s weight in pounds. For teenaged characters, subtract 1 or 2 dice.”
Since my character is a teenager, I will subtract 1d4, leaving a roll of 4d4. I roll 10, which multiplied by 10 gives my character a weight of 100 pounds, which I write down on the Weight line of the character sheet.

STEP EIGHT: Background. Roll d100 three times on the Background table and ”Choose two of the results to keep. You may re-roll duplicates, or keep them.”

• 1st Background Roll = 88 (Accounting/Finance)
• 2nd Background Roll = 3 (Medicine)
• 3rd Background Roll = 90 (Accounting/Finance)

Since Accounting/Finance was rolled twice, I decide to drop it and roll again. The 4th time I roll gives me a 77, which is Labor/Manufacturing. I pick Medicine and Labor/Manufacturing as my character’s two background areas of knowledge.
According to the rules on pg. 20: “Alternately, you may combine two Backgrounds to create a new/specialized Career which encompasses them both. Combining two Backgrounds into a single Career gives the character a bonus of +3 on Task checks where the GM rules that the Career applies”

So I decide to do that, combining Medicine and Labor/Manufacturing into the specialized career of a Nurses’ Aide. She is a volunteer nursing aide at a local hospital. I write down “Volunteer Nursing Aide, +3” on the Background line of the character sheet.

STEP NINE: Motivation. Rolling a 71 on a d100 means my character has a motivation of “Self-Defense”. I write that down on the character sheet.

STEP TEN: Wealth. My character, so far, is an average individual. So I write down the default "d4" Wealth Roll on the Wealth line of the character sheet. This may change later, though, so I pencil it in.

STEP ELEVEN : Luck. So far, my character has a normal level of Luck, so I write down “10-“, which means “10 or less”, on the character sheet. This may change later, though, so I pencil it in.

STEP TWELVE: Origin Type. I roll an 85 on a d100 which gives my character a “Physical Training” origin type. I write that down on the character sheet.

STEP THIRTEEN : Abilities & Weaknesses. Now I must roll a d100 six times for abilities and twice for weaknesses.
• First, I roll twice for Offensive Abilities, getting a 76 (Shaping) and 84 (Special Weapon).
• Next I roll a d100 twice for Defensive Abilities, getting a 44 (Heightened Agility) and a 35 (Durability).
• Next I roll d100 twice to determine Miscellaneous Abilities, getting a 22 (Experience Levels) and 19 (Duplication).
• Lastly, I roll d100 twice to determine Weaknesses, getting a 35 (Phobia) and a 59 (Reduced Agility).

Since I plan on keeping Heightened Agility, I roll d100 again to get something other than “Reduced Agility”. I roll an 82 which is Susceptibility.

Under the Abilities section of the character sheet I write down: “Shaping, Special Weapon, Heightened Agility, Durability, Experience Levels, Duplication, Phobia, Susceptibility”.

STEP FOURTEEN: Character Concept. So far, random rolls have made my character a 17 year-old girl born in Sweden who has Self-Defense for a Motivation and Physical Training as her Origin Type. I decide to make Shaping, Special Weapon, Heightened Agility, and Experience Levels her “core” abilities.

Core Abilities:
• Shaping – this will be from a device that her father invented. Shaping: Kinetic Energy SR 20, 447 lbs per 1 PR spent (25), (AG) Range = 32", Gear (-5) = 20 CPs.
• Special Weapon – this will be a Halberd, +1 to hit (2.5), HTH +2d6 Sharp Kinetic damage (+15), 3” reach (+2.5) = 20 CPs.
• Heightened Agility +20 = 20 CPs.
• Experience Levels: +2 to hit, +2 defense, +2 skills = 20 CPs.

Non-Core Abilities:
• 5. Durability
• 6. Duplication

I decide that she moved to New York City as a baby, when her parents relocated from Sweden to the United States. A year ago, her parents, both brilliant engineers with a large multinational technology company, learned the company was secretly under Intercrime control. When Intercrime agents showed-up at her family’s house, her parents gave her their inventions and told her to flee. In retaliation, the Intercrime agents firebombed her house. Her mother and father were killed but she managed to escape.

In the year since her parents were murdered she has decided to devote her life to fighting crime and to eventually, somehow, avenge the deaths of her parents.

STEP FIFTEEN: Weaknesses. Roll twice on the Weakness table.
• Weakness Roll #1 = 34, which is Phobia
• Weakness Roll #2 = 83, which is Susceptibility
A phobia to fire would make sense, so I decide to keep it. Susceptibility doesn’t really make sense, so I decide to drop it. I write down “Phobia: fear of fire, Rare” which gives my character (-5) CPs.

I can now apply the 5 CPs from the Phobia weakness to one of the “non-core” abilities of Durability or Duplication. I feel it doesn’t make sense for my character to have Durability so I drop it. Thinking about Duplication it makes sense that her mother had invented a prototype hand-held device that allows the user to duplicate themselves… this could be why Intercrime became involved: they were after it. I decide to give my character a piece of Gear that has the following ability: Duplication: 2 duplicates (20), Gear (-5), 6 one-hour charges (-10) = 5 CPs.

BC and Ability Caps: Normally, the character’s caps would be based on her starting points, which is 150 CPs. But Duplication lowers a character’s caps: “The character’s BC and Ability caps, average damage cap, Gear BCs, etc. are all determined from the number of CPs the character has left after paying for their Duplication ability and its Modifiers.” So for purposes of the caps, her 150 points is reduced to 145 points.

STEP SIXTEEN: Advanced Customization. I decide that my character’s 14 ST and 16 EN are both near break points. So I increase her ST to 15 and lower her EN to 15.

STEP SEVENTEEN : Backstory. I’ve already mostly done this in the character concept section, but I can expand upon that by making up family, friends, and associates names and other details. The other aspects of the character’s backstory are listed below:

Name: I decide that it would be cool that she remembers her mother reading folk tales to her about “Perchat, the Shining One”, a goddess and leader of the “Wild Hunt”. I decide that her superhero name will be “The Shining one”, so I write that down on the character sheet.

Costume: I decide that her costume is a full body suit of white leather, with dark blue mask, dark blue gloves, dark blue belt, and dark blue boots. She also has a golden colored short cape.

True I.D.: I use a random name generator to give me a female Swedish name. I get “Laila Fransson”, which I write down on the True ID section of the character sheet.

Legal Status: She has not yet gone through the process of obtaining a superhero license.

Security Clearance: Per the formula “IN Save + CL Save + (Earned CPs/5) -20 “ on pg. 27, she has a Security Clearance of 12+10-20 = 2.

Wanted Status: She is not a criminal, so she is not Wanted.

Criminal Record: She has no criminal record.

Once I calculate things like Mass Roll, Power, Hit Points, etc., and fill in all the Ability and Weakness lines, my character looks like this:

Edited for errors, typos, and format.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Example of Random Character Generation
on: April 19, 2017, 13:30

Reserved

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 13:37

I've been planning on doing the exact same thing for the first NPC I rolled up, Brian.

Just out of curiosity, did you go completely, 100% random with every roll here? Or are some (or even many) of them just ones you picked, as if you'd rolled them randomly? For mine, I did everything 100% random, and it ended up giving a coherent, workable character. I actually plan to use her as a villain in my campaign!

Thanks for doing this. I'm sure it will be really helpful for some.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 13:37

Quote from Majestic on April 19, 2017, 13:37
I've been planning on doing the exact same thing for the first NPC I rolled up, Brian.

Just out of curiosity, did you go completely, 100% random with every roll here? Or are some (or even many) of them just ones you picked, as if you'd rolled them randomly? For mine, I did everything 100% random, and it ended up giving a coherent, workable character. I actually plan to use her as a villain in my campaign!

Thanks for doing this. I'm sure it will be really helpful for some.

Yep, I completely 100% randomly rolled this character!

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 14:54

That's awesome, and I think it speaks well to the robustness of the new character generation system!

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

wistling
High-Powered Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 16:04

Cool! Two questions:

1) Should her single career be annotated as Volunteer Nursing Aide +3, to differentiate it from Uneducated?
2) Duplication changes a character's Caps. Should that be annotated? I suppose her powers are under 26 CP so it might be moot, but it may not be the case for other characters with that power.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 17:07

Quote from wistling on April 19, 2017, 16:04
Cool! Two questions:

1) Should her single career be annotated as Volunteer Nursing Aide +3, to differentiate it from Uneducated?
2) Duplication changes a character's Caps. Should that be annotated? I suppose her powers are under 26 CP so it might be moot, but it may not be the case for other characters with that power.

You're right. Thanks for pointing those out! I've edited the write-up to reflect the changes.

GiantGoril-
la
High-Powered Superhero
on: April 20, 2017, 22:24

This is an excellent write up. Hate to nitpick, but I think you mean "Swedish" instead of "Swiss" if the character is from Sweden.

I was into Charisma before it was Cool.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 21, 2017, 02:53

Quote from GiantGorilla on April 20, 2017, 22:24
This is an excellent write up. Hate to nitpick, but I think you mean "Swedish" instead of "Swiss" if the character is from Sweden.

Thanks, and yes, you're right. Fixed!

GiantGoril-
la
High-Powered Superhero
on: June 30, 2017, 11:37

what I like about this is that a new player can create a character quickly.
and start enjoying the game.

I was into Charisma before it was Cool.

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.046 seconds.