Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plant and Animal Control
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Plant and Animal Control
on: April 18, 2017, 15:26

I'm not seeing either of these among the various Abilities. Perhaps I'm just missing them, but trying to replicate this with Summoning or Shaping don't seem to accurately portray this superpower.

How should one model the ability to control living plants, or to call on surrounding animals?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Alienist
Street-Level Hero
Post Re: Plant and Animal Control
on: April 18, 2017, 18:37

As far as plant control goes, what are you looking to do that Shaping: Requires Source (plants), Modifier: Animation doesn't cover?

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 18, 2017, 19:42

I would use Summoning.with these modifiers: Conditional Summoning Time and Multitudes.

Summoning: Dogs, -60 points (-10), conditional summoning time (+0), Multitudes: x8 (+30) = 20 CPs

This lets you "summon" a pack of 8 dogs (with 1 Action if they are within 20", 3 rounds if they are "local" but not w/in 20", etc), each built on 90 CPs (assuming a 150 CP character as the summoner). It does not let you summon another type of animal; for that you would need a new modifier, call it "variable effect", which VnV3.0 does not have (but your GM might allow for say +10 CPs).

Optionally, to control any type of animal you could instead use an Area Effect Mind Control with another modifier that it only works on animals and not humans. For example: Mind Control with Psychic damage save @-4 (15), 9" Area Effect (+15), Animals only (-10) = 20 CPs.

Shaping with its animation modifier is probably best to simulate control of plants.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 11:28

Thanks, guys. One reason I was hesitant to use Shaping was because it says it allows a character to create and maintain "solid constructs of inert matter or kinetic energy".

The Animate modifier says it "animates" the shapes they create. I suppose if that's cool to make living plants with that, it will work. I was probably thinking too literally, that this simply animated "inert matter", giving it the appearance of life (by making it able to move).

Speaking of animals, I just searched through the book and it doesn't seem to list common animals. I've long thought the animals in 2.1 were way too weak and not very reflective of actual animals. They couldn't do much damage, were far too ineffective and inefficient, and were missing "powers" that they should have automatically had (Natural Weaponry for teeth and claws, Wings, etc.).

It looks like we'll have to make up animals ourselves for 3.0, which I suppose is fine, but it would probably be better if at least some standard templates (like dogs) were provided.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Paragon
High-Powered Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 19:50

I'd assumed we'd see some standard opposition examples at some point here myself, and they just weren't in yet. Animals are certainly something you can use as a useful benchmark set.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.063 seconds.