Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Skills
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Skills
on: April 18, 2017, 10:58

I think we'll try to stick with the 3.0 RAW, at least to start out with.

But I'm not convinced that the game couldn't benefit from at least a simple system of Skills. For quick n' dirty one shots (like a convention game), I would imagine that the basic Task/Save system should do fine. But for a longer, more involved campaign, the existing way of handling things seems quite drab and unexciting.

For example, one of our PCs, Quiasar, is very high Level (2.1) and accomplished lots over the years. Basing everything off of his two, randomly rolled Background items doesn't accurately enough convey all that he knows and can do. In some cases, like his Sports background reflecting that he used to play in the NBA, it works.

But what if something in the medical field came up during a game? I suppose we could simply make an Int Task save and see if he knows something medically.

But in this case, the fact that he is actually a doctor isn't reflected at all.

Rather than go with the elaborate 100+ skills I came up with for 2.1, that we have been using for years, I'm thinking - if I do this - that I'll go back to a system like I did a long time ago. Something more along the order of about 20 skills, that reflect the broad categories instead of fine-tuned details.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

dsatow
Street-Level Hero
Post Re: Skills
on: April 18, 2017, 13:41

On preface: I have not reviewed 3.0 yet. Currently my group is in the middle of Pathfinder campaigns, so I really can't devote any more time to any V&V campaigns, but I am a big fan.

One of the problems with V&V is that the skill system is very simple and does not provide as much gradients. For example, an intern and a world class surgeon have basically the same skill level. I've dabbled, like most long time gamers, in game design. Here is my suggestion for V&V:

For non-combat skills, each player has 1+Level in skill points. They can then put this skill level into a background. Players may also use inventing points to put into backgrounds. Each point give you one die roll with a skill. So 2 points into Doctor/Medicine will give you two rolls.

How this would work in a game: Say, someone is dying. The intern is a level 2 Doctor. The GM notes that this requires an INT save but due to the nature of the wounds and the setting, two saves must be made. The intern fails. Luckily, a doctor is on hand. He's a level 5 doctor. He makes 3 INT saves and saves the dying NPC.

This system gives the GM two ways to express difficulty. One in how difficult the tasks would normally be under the best conditions and one to increase the difficulty based on the situation. It gives the player a way to customize their character in a way they should be able to customize and gives a way to differentiate between skill levels.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 18, 2017, 15:14

I just noticed the KNOWLEDGE: Careers & Tasks option that some characters can take, which at least somewhat alleviates the problem of giving some characters more skills. I still think having a more robust (but still simple) Skill system would greatly enhance the game.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

WarCry
Street-Level Hero
on: May 18, 2017, 04:29

I agree this game could use a simple and robust skill system.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.114 seconds.