Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: arsenal
Thegodofgo-
des
Street-Level Hero
Post arsenal
on: April 15, 2017, 18:08

slight clarity needed.

if using arsenal as a power to effect of having our on pocket dimension to keep specific gear is a reasonable use and if so would it be appropriate to use gear modifier and channel modifier?

being charge gear meaning that they could be damaged, taken, etc.

if adding more charges would it be the cost to move up the cost conversion chart for arsenal?

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: arsenal
on: April 16, 2017, 10:00

You can have Gear or other modifiers (like BC channeling) affecting the base cost of an Arsenal. There are a few caveats, though. If you give Arsenal the (-5) Gear modifier, then each arsenal slot is automatically Gear and does not get to take the Gear modifier again. If your slot ability is something that already has the Gear built-in (like Communicators or Special Weapons), then you have to buy the Gear modifier back for (+5) CPs. See below for example:

Arsenal 20 max CPs (25), 4 Slots (0), 6 Options (0), Gear (-5), BC Channeling (+2.5) = 23 CPs

1. "Pistol") Special Weapon B: d10+1 Sharp Kinetic damage (5), original charges=12 cost adj. (-7.5), Gear (+5), (AGx2) Range (+0), 12 chrgs (+17.5)
2. "Sword" ) Special Weapon A: HTH +d6 Sharp Kinetic damage (5), original PR=0 cost adj. (-12.5), Gear (+5), unlimited chrgs (+22.5)
3. "Glue Grenade") Grapnel: 7 Breakpoint (17.5), original PR=1 cost adj. (-10), No Swinging (-5), (ST+AG) Range (0), 1" AE (+5), 3 chrgs (+7.5)
4. "Bug") Communicators: 10 mile range (0), original charges=12 cost adj. (-7.5), Gear (+5), Beacon (+5), One-Way (-2.5), Miniaturized x3 (+7.5), 6 one-hour chrgs (+12.5)
5. "Nightvision Goggles") Ht. Senses: Full IR vision (10), Range (+5), original PR=0 cost adj. (-12.5), 12 one-hour chrgs (+17.5)
6. "Bullet-Proof Vest") Armor: 12 protection pts. (20), original pr=0 cost adj. (-12.5), partial coverage (-10), unlimited charges (+22.5)

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 18, 2017, 15:10

It mentions under Arsenal that it can be used to model "memorization from spellbooks", and I'm currently trying to convert a 2.1 PC who is a magic user.

This character has 19 spells, and the various abilities/spells he has are vastly different. From as weak as Prestidigitation (as the D&D spell) all the way up to Time Stop (where he can freeze time for everybody else).

He always has access to all 19 spells, too, so I'm wondering if Arsenal is even the way to go with this. The Mobile modifier says that it still takes 5 minutes to select abilities a character will use in the field, which doesn't at all reflect how this character does magic.

Should I just cost up each ability on its own? (I imagine it's going to go WAY over the points allotted for his character, as he's essentially been an inventing machine (creating new spells) for a number of years (the character is Level 12).

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 18, 2017, 15:53

Arsenal is probably your best bet for modeling spells even though they may become less powerful than what you had in 2.1. You could have two different Arsenals -- one for lesser powerful spells and one for more powerful spells. You can also buy down the 5 minute time limit to 1 round, or less, if you want.

You could also use the Multi-Ability modifier (pg. 99) to model your spells, but that might be prohibitively expensive.

You could also have a giant pool of Inventing points and a high Intelligence score with which to model your spells (or at least some of them).

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 18, 2017, 16:14

Thanks, Brian. I was considering some of those options. It's going to be pretty involved and complex, I imagine. For instance, his first spell was the ability to transform into a grizzly bear. Since Transformation now is just to a weaker form, I imagine one has to model that with Size Change: Larger and some Natural Weaponry, Heightened Senses, and the like. Packaging all that within an Arsenal is going to be pretty complicated, I would imagine.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 18, 2017, 22:46

I'd thought Arsenal was a possible way to model the trick Dr. Apocalypse had--but the "not Gear" modifier would make it pretty pricey.

wistling
High-Powered Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 16:00

I would do Grizzly Bear shape as this Transmutation approach, assuming a 15 CP option. This will allow for a 5 minute duration spell, but it can be re-cast, or the save failed. This might make it simpler than having working out Linked powers in an Arsenal.

One question is, can someone voluntarily fail a saving throw? I would think it is an option.

Grizzly Bear Transmutation

Transmutation: Arsenal adjustment (+2.5), add 30 CPs of abilities (30), Requires speech (-2.5), Requires caster as target (-5), Range Touch/Melee (-12.5), EN save+5 (-30), unlimited charges (22.5), Duration 5 minutes (+10); gives bear shape with 30 CP of abilities as follows:
[5 CP] Shape-Shifting: Grizzly Bear shape, Persistent (5)
[10 CP] Size Change: Larger, 10’, x1.6 Profile, x4 weight, +6 ST, +6 EN (10)
[5 CP] Natural Weaponry, Claws: +2 to hit, +4 sharp damage (5)
[5 CP] Heightened Senses: improve Scent to Telescopic, +4 bonus, x16 magnification (+5)
[5 CP] Armor (fur): 3 total, Kine/Ene/Bio/Ent = 2/0/0/1 (5)

Edit: added missed modifier number for 'Requires speech'

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 16:10

Nicely done, wistling! Thanks! Good call on using Transmutation, as the character is effectively transforming/transmutating himself.

I don't follow the "Arsenal adjustment", though. How did you arrive at +2.5?

wistling
High-Powered Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 16:54

Arsenal modifier is converting PR 8 for Transmutation into 1 charge. (+2.5) Then it is staged up to unlimited.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.109 seconds.