Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: cell phones and free rpg day
wylie
Street-Level Hero
Post cell phones and free rpg day
on: April 15, 2017, 11:16

Looking over various characters to simulate with MP rules, I came across Spider-Gwen who used a cell phone as part of her heroics
so
I created a cellphone: comm.: internet, video, single, cell-tower needed, 10 pts.
which got me thinking: how many heroes would need to have a cellphone in this day and age?
will this be standard equipment or something each character would have to pay for?

I'll post the full, basic writeup later, along with my own semi-random character.

on different note, will there be anything for free RPG day? guidelines on what you want players to know or mini-mission?

wylie
Street-Level Hero
Post Re: cell phones and free rpg day
on: April 15, 2017, 12:25

I forgot, add GPS also to the comm

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 15, 2017, 15:38

This discussion came up early on, here wylie. The consensus seemed to be that it takes around 5 CP to create a modern cell phone (10 for an iPhone). There's some debate on whether that should be charged to a PC or not. The official response seemed to be that you should, but I know I won't; I feel things that most modern characters could/should have, like a car and smart phone, should be like the 'default' human senses.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

wylie
Street-Level Hero
on: April 15, 2017, 16:38

I can see both sides
Say Spider-Man a cell phone would be a plot device if anything, like ringing during a combat or spying on some crimnials
Now take Spider-Gwen, who uses her cellphone to research villains and such, gaining an advantage over them or a least bonuses on tracking

Sounds like it depends on how the phone will be used will determine if you need to pay for it.

wistling
Superhero
on: April 15, 2017, 18:05

I'm pretty sure my phone has a Breakdown of Luck +4, so that's another -10. 🙂

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 16, 2017, 08:35

I would make a modern cell phone like this:

5 Base Cost
0 10 mile range
2.5 GPS
2.5 Internet
5 Color Video
2.5 Recording
-5 Single
-5 Requires Cell Towers
-5 6 1-Hour Charges

Total Cost = 3 CPs

wylie
Street-Level Hero
on: April 16, 2017, 16:43

interesting

Alienist
Street-Level Hero
on: April 16, 2017, 19:07

Quote from bkadams on April 16, 2017, 08:35
I would make a modern cell phone like this:

5 Base Cost
0 10 mile range
2.5 GPS
2.5 Internet
5 Color Video
2.5 Recording
-5 Single
-5 Requires Cell Towers
-5 6 1-Hour Charges

Total Cost = 3 CPs

I might have added Texting to that for another 2 CP in total cost. Then again, if you have Internet Access you already have capacity to send/receive texts so it's probably unnecessary.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 16, 2017, 19:10

Oops! You're right: it should also have texting for +2.5, making the total CP = 5

Jeff
Administrator
on: April 17, 2017, 00:42

A superhero doesn't have to spend CPs to have a cell phone, or a car, or a home *in their secret identity*.

A superhero *can* use those things while crimefighting, but it's a risk to their secret identity. "Oh, you saw Spider-Man getting out of a car? What was its license plate number?

That's the main reason why we've drawn that line. On the plus side, you don't usually have to worry about a supervillain trashing your home, or your car. IF you're really, really careful not to reveal stuff about your secret identity by using those things indiscriminately.

-Jeff

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.138 seconds.