Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pushing
Alienist
Street-Level Hero
Post Pushing
on: April 13, 2017, 17:02

Movement, Carrying Capacity, musclepowered weapons, HTH attacks, Dimensional Navigation, Flight, Grapnel, Gravity, Healing, Ice Blast, Speed, Weather Control, and Leaping are specifically mentioned as being able to be pushed. The example of American Woman fighting against the Avant Guards has her pushing her Laser attack for additional damage. I had assumed MP was similar to LL in that you can push any Abilities that have a PR requirement, such as Laser or Power Blast, as long as they didn't come from equipment. Upon closer inspection, I can't actually find any place in the rules that says you can. Was this omitted, or am I simply missing it?

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: Pushing
on: April 13, 2017, 17:12

The entry under Pushing doesn't seem to address pushing powers generically (the only damage it mentions is muscle-powered weapons), but as you say, the example with American Woman seems to have her Pushing the laser from her Light Control. Its impossible to say with what's at hand whether the example is in error or the Pushing entry is in error; I'd assume the latter but its just that, an assumption.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 14, 2017, 11:10

When I pointed that out to Jeff at Gary Con, he seemed surprised. I got the impression that the example (with American Woman) is correct, and that it was just something accidentally omitted from the Pushing entry.

My son pointed out how common Pushing was in our game, so I think you can expect it be quite commonly used, including with Abilities.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 14, 2017, 13:36

Yeah, it strikes me as one of those "Of course you can do that--what, the entry doesn't say it?" things. One of the problems with working on a game system for a long time is that some things become so inculcated in your mind and expectations you don't even think to mention it.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 14, 2017, 17:47

They totally realize that, too. They pointed out that 2.9 doesn't actually spell out what one does when they end up with a Healing Rate of 2.4. Those of us who have been playing V&V for a long time just know, but a new player would have no idea how to resolve this.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Jeff
Administrator
on: April 17, 2017, 00:17

Yep, a bunch of stuff got overlooked from the Pushing rules. I *think* this covers it:

Characters can Push all of these things, *unless* the ability in question is entirely Gear-based, at a cost of 2 points of Power:

Movement (x2 acceleration and top speed)
    Standard attack damage (+2)
    Save Attack target number (-2)
    Snare Attack breakpoint (+2)
    Strength (+2 Base HTH damage and x2 Carrying Capacity)

Pushing must be declared and paid for before rolling to hit, or before rolling the ability's effect if no roll to hit is needed.

Vehicles, Unliving robots, etc. *may* Push their own abilities; you just can't Push an ability like a gun that really isn't part of you.

-Jeff

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 17, 2017, 11:08

Can you push a Force Field to get more defense out of it temporarily?

Jeff
Administrator
on: April 17, 2017, 11:24

Quote from Paragon on April 17, 2017, 11:08
Can you push a Force Field to get more defense out of it temporarily?

I'm going to say no. That would open the door to stuff like the Thing 'pushing' his Armor to gain a temporary bonus.

There's already a way to soak up damage on your Power, and it's called 'rolling with the punch'.

-Jeff

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 17, 2017, 19:36

Yeah, I just could see some difference there since FF defaults to costing Power and--actually, I'm assuming Force Fields are Persistent, but now that I look at it I can't tell if they're supposed to be or not.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.085 seconds.