Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Telepathy Range and Modifiers
Alienist
Street-Level Hero
Post Telepathy Range and Modifiers
on: April 10, 2017, 13:11

Telepathy has no range listed, as distance is normally limited by the character's own senses. What is the default range when the ability becomes non-sense dependent due to a modifier such as Indirect or Links?

Paragon
High-Powered Superhero
Post Re: Telepathy Range and Modifiers
on: April 10, 2017, 18:56

I'd personally assume that there's no intrinsic range maximum if you have that sort of modifier, but Jeff will no doubt be along to tell me if I'm having a senior moment.

Jeff
Administrator
on: April 10, 2017, 23:26

Paragon is correct. None of the standard Modifiers changes the requirement that the character must be able to directly perceive the subject.

You could always make up a new Modifier to change that, of course.

-Jeff

Paragon
High-Powered Superhero
on: April 11, 2017, 09:49

If that's true, Jeff, what's the point in Indirect or Link? Currently it seems like their whole point is allowing you to use Telepathy in situations where you can't perceive the target (at least directly). Indirect uses "on the other side of the wall" as an example, even.

Alienist
Street-Level Hero
on: April 11, 2017, 12:05

Quote from Paragon on April 10, 2017, 18:56
I'd personally assume that there's no intrinsic range maximum if you have that sort of modifier

The problem with an Ability using range penalties as the only limiting factor for distance is that it doesn't play nice with the critical success rule.

Paragon
High-Powered Superhero
on: April 12, 2017, 00:01

Quote from Alienist on April 11, 2017, 12:05

Quote from Paragon on April 10, 2017, 18:56
I'd personally assume that there's no intrinsic range maximum if you have that sort of modifier

The problem with an Ability using range penalties as the only limiting factor for distance is that it doesn't play nice with the critical success rule.

Howso?

Alienist
Street-Level Hero
on: April 12, 2017, 08:02

Because if you had enough Power and time, you could keep attacking a target an infinite distance away until you rolled a 1 and hit.

Paragon
High-Powered Superhero
on: April 12, 2017, 11:50

Well, as long as you have some way to target them, yeah. That's an intrinsic problem in those kinds of powers, and honestly, the only real way to avoid it is say "Don't do that."

(I'm not being blithe; I played with the group that, far as I can tell, coined the phrase "bathroom mentalist" you sometimes see bandied about by this problem, and there's no real way to avoid it being possible and still represent telepathy the way its often represented. The best thing you can do is discourage it as an operating procedure, just like you discourage people from using long range attacks and telescopic sight to play sniper).

Jeff
Administrator
on: April 17, 2017, 00:03

Quote from Paragon on April 11, 2017, 09:49
If that's true, Jeff, what's the point in Indirect or Link? Currently it seems like their whole point is allowing you to use Telepathy in situations where you can't perceive the target (at least directly). Indirect uses "on the other side of the wall" as an example, even.

Indirect is for enabling an attack to (for example) hit somebody on the other side of a wall, without having to actually blast a hole in that wall.

You can *directly* perceive a target on the other side of a wall, if you have X-ray vision or Mental Wave sense, or something like that. You don't need 'Indirect', because walls don't physically block telepathy. Walls just prevent you from knowing where the other person is, unless you have a *sense* that can penetrate that wall.

Hope that helps,
-Jeff

Alienist
Street-Level Hero
on: April 17, 2017, 10:48

I can't help but think we are talking about different things. The general "Indirect" modifier does indeed require you to perceive your target directly. However "Telepathy: Modifier Indirect" and "Telepathy Modifier: Links" as written not only allow contact without direct perception, it seems to be their entire purpose.

"Telepathy Modifier: Indirect" states "Telepaths normally need to directly perceive their subject in order to initiate telepathic communication. This modifier enables the telepath to initiate telepathic contact with anyone at a specified location (for example, “on the other side of this wall”, or “that person I see on the security camera screen”)."

"Telepathy Modifier: Links" states "...a telepathic link enables the telepath to reestablish telepathic contact with anyone they link to, without needing to know where that person is."

If I am incorrect, and both of those modifiers still require direct perception, what is the point of either? Both modifiers would add nothing you couldn't already do.

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.13 seconds.