Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 >> Last
Author Topic: 2.9 General Questions
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: 2.9 General Questions
on: April 14, 2017, 13:15

The second part of Magnetism (Part B, Magnetic Field) seems strange to me, being as you're mainly suggesting that folks go buy some points in Force Field.

If somebody does that, and then takes the suggested -10 modifier such that it only deflects metallic weapons and projectiles, should it not then only have points in Kinetic protection? In other words, does it make sense to put 1 or 2 points into, say, Biochemical, when the modifier you're taking limits the FF to only block metallic objects?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 14, 2017, 13:29

On the Range chart (modifier on p. 100), shouldn't the modifier for doing things at a rate equal to one's BC be 0? So if I want to change the range for a Magnetic Blast to be equal to my character's Strength (which the default does), I get a modifier of -2.5? What if I want to make my Power Blast (ordinarily the average of ST and EN equal to only my ST (because it's higher), that gives me a modifier of -2.5?

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 14, 2017, 13:33

Quote from Majestic on April 14, 2017, 11:05
I suppose the Gear guy is more vulnerable. It will be interesting to see how easy it is in 3.0 to actually break another's gear, or take it away.

Yeah, I haven't looked at the related rules closely. I don't even remember if 3e makes a distinction in cost between easily removable gear and stuff like power suits.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 14, 2017, 17:23

Quote from Paragon on April 14, 2017, 13:33

Quote from Majestic on April 14, 2017, 11:05
I suppose the Gear guy is more vulnerable. It will be interesting to see how easy it is in 3.0 to actually break another's gear, or take it away.

Yeah, I haven't looked at the related rules closely. I don't even remember if 3e makes a distinction in cost between easily removable gear and stuff like power suits.

They do make a difference. At least, they talk about (under the 'Gear' modifier) how some can't be (typically) lost, taken, or sometimes even damaged.

And it's nice that the character sheets now (at the bottom) have a quick and easy number, showing what an opponent needs to roll to break an item, take it, or disable it.

Alienist
Street-Level Hero
on: April 14, 2017, 17:26

Quote from Majestic on April 14, 2017, 13:29
On the Range chart (modifier on p. 100), shouldn't the modifier for doing things at a rate equal to one's BC be 0? So if I want to change the range for a Magnetic Blast to be equal to my character's Strength (which the default does), I get a modifier of -2.5? What if I want to make my Power Blast (ordinarily the average of ST and EN equal to only my ST (because it's higher), that gives me a modifier of -2.5?

I would assume that, given that the CP cost on the chart isn't accurate for many powers, in those cases you would follow the text instead and move 1 step up or down on the range table for +/- 2.5 CPs.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 14, 2017, 17:45

I'm wondering what to do when - after consulting one of the tables - you are looking for a number that is exactly between two numbers shown. For example, I'm converting my PC Compass from 2.1 to 3.0 now.

His weight is 180, so per the instructions on Weight and Mass (2.2.9, p. 19) we go to the BC Table (p. 18), divide that weight by 2 (90 lbs.) and find the "closest match".

So which is closer? 60 lbs.(30 lbs. less)? or 120 (30 lbs. more)?

Depending on which one you go with, his Mass will either be d4 or d6.

I think it would be really helpful to have guidelines in general on what to do with all cases where one is rounding off. D&D 5th Edition, for example, always rounds down. Spelling out that folks should always round up, or to the nearest whole number, or .5 rounds up, or whatever you decide to do, will help clarify when those situations come up.

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 15, 2017, 10:58

Yeah, there's a standard mathematical answer to that, but that may or may not be the assumption the game was designed with, and not everyone even remembers the standard math method.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 15, 2017, 12:19

Quote from Majestic on April 12, 2017, 12:50

Quote from Alienist on April 11, 2017, 18:25

Quote from Majestic on April 11, 2017, 15:26
I'm not clear on one thing with regard to Heightened Senses: what does it cost to keep them the same sense level, but to add more things that a particular sense detects?

For example, my old PC Majestic has (built into his Armor) some Heightened Senses. His HUD (heads-up display) gives him infrared vision and sonar. I get how to add the modifiers for 'Ranged Sense' and 'Global Sense', but - if I make it so he can sense each of these at Full (which is the default normal level) - and since they all give him the details and data visually, isn't there some cost to add the fact that he can now (in addition to the normal visual stimuli) detect the following?

- Light, Infrared
- Motion
- Shapes
-Sound, Subsonic
-Sounds, Ultrasonic

Surely there's some cost to adding five more things he can detect with his vision?

If i'm reading Heightened Senses correctly, each type of detection listed is purchased individually without consideration to any similar senses you may possess.

Well, if that's the case (and I don't see where it actually says that), Heightened Senses like the one my character Majestic has would have become exponentially expensive.

Let me explain.

In 2.1, he has an ordinary "Heightened Senses". He has a heads-up display, as well as sonar and infrared vision. It gives a bonus to his detect scores when applicable.

About 5 years ago, I went to Gary Con where Jeff was going to run a 3.0 adventure, and he converted PCs for the two of us that were going. Jeff wasn't able to make it, but he'd still converted my PC Majestic. Of course, this is a much earlier iteration of the rules, but the basics are still the same. Many of the powers and BCs worked out exactly the same or very close. His Heightened Senses? Jeff wrote those as:

HEIGHTENED SENSES: 360 Degree Full Sonar, Full Infrared Vision.

For cost, he made it 15 CP.

Now I've converted the character using the 2.9 rules, and I have everything but the Heightened Senses figured out. I have the maximum for a character of his power level (57 points) allocated, but I'm not sure if even 57 points will be able to cover the three basic things I need his visual senses to do.

Per Jeff, Heightened senses are bought from scratch.

Ht. Sense: Full Sonar (10), Range (+5), Global (+10) = 25 CPs
Ht. Sense: Full Infrared (10), Range (+5) = 15 CPs

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 15, 2017, 12:22

For pushing, you guys are correct in thinking that a character can push any ability that has a PR cost. Since it doesn't explicitly state that in the section on pushing, you should write it up as a clarification issue and send it to jeff@monkeyhousegames.com

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 15, 2017, 12:24

Quote from Majestic on April 14, 2017, 17:45
I'm wondering what to do when - after consulting one of the tables - you are looking for a number that is exactly between two numbers shown. For example, I'm converting my PC Compass from 2.1 to 3.0 now.

His weight is 180, so per the instructions on Weight and Mass (2.2.9, p. 19) we go to the BC Table (p. 18), divide that weight by 2 (90 lbs.) and find the "closest match".

So which is closer? 60 lbs.(30 lbs. less)? or 120 (30 lbs. more)?

Depending on which one you go with, his Mass will either be d4 or d6.

I think it would be really helpful to have guidelines in general on what to do with all cases where one is rounding off. D&D 5th Edition, for example, always rounds down. Spelling out that folks should always round up, or to the nearest whole number, or .5 rounds up, or whatever you decide to do, will help clarify when those situations come up.

The official VnV3 excel sheet treats a 180 pound character as having a d4 Mass roll, so I guess you go with the higher number in cases where it is equally close.

Pages: First << 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 >> Last
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.11 seconds.