Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 11 12 13 [14] 15
Author Topic: 2.9 General Questions
Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
Post Re: 2.9 General Questions
on: May 15, 2017, 10:59

Quote from bkadams on April 16, 2017, 08:30
According to Wikipedia, "acoustic frequencies used in sonar systems vary from very low (infrasonic) to extremely high (ultrasonic)." I would build it like this:

Ht. Sense: Basic, Subsonic (5), Range, radiates (+5), Global (+10) = 20 CPs. Of course, for your superhero you might want to have a "super" version of sonar and make it have a Full sense for a total CP cost of 25.

Your question about caps on Heightened Senses is a good one and I'm not sure what the answer is. 😉

According to Heightened Senses, you're supposed to define how the character perceives things, i.e., do they 'see' or 'hear', etc.

But with sonar, ordinarily one would both see and hear it. It also ranges from low (infrasonic) to high (ultrasonic) as Brian mentions (above). It seems to me it might be helpful to explain sonar in the Heightened Senses segment, since it is fairly common (it's even used in the example of Heightened Senses), but difficult to model with the current rules.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 15, 2017, 11:41

Another question about Heightened Senses and the Heightened Senses Modifier: Ranged Senses:

Where it says it:
A) "enables a sense to be used at a distance up to IN/2"
OR
B) "it allows IN+6 perception checks vs. range penalties at any range if the thing being sensed 'radiates'"

Does this mean you have to pick this at character creation (whether your power uses A or B)?

or does it mean you can choose (when the character goes to use this Ability) whether to use option A or B? (assuming the thing being sensed 'radiates')

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 15, 2017, 12:07

Does anybody know where the new minimum cost (2.5) for abilities can be found in the latest (2.91) version?

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 15, 2017, 13:21

On pg. 26 (2.1.16.7) "Characters must pay a minimum of (1) CP for any Ability or BC, after all the cost adjustments for its Modifiers are applied."

Jeff
Administrator
on: May 15, 2017, 18:31

Quote from Majestic on May 15, 2017, 11:41
Another question about Heightened Senses and the Heightened Senses Modifier: Ranged Senses:

Where it says it:
A) "enables a sense to be used at a distance up to IN/2"
OR
B) "it allows IN+6 perception checks vs. range penalties at any range if the thing being sensed 'radiates'"

Does this mean you have to pick this at character creation (whether your power uses A or B)?

or does it mean you can choose (when the character goes to use this Ability) whether to use option A or B? (assuming the thing being sensed 'radiates')

It means that if the thing being sensed doesn't radiate, then making the sense Ranged gives it a range of IN/2". If the thing being sensed *does* radiate, then making the sense Ranged means the character makes IN-based perception checks at +6 vs. range instead.

-Jeff

Jeff
Administrator
on: May 15, 2017, 18:45

Quote from Majestic on May 15, 2017, 10:59

According to Heightened Senses, you're supposed to define how the character perceives things, i.e., do they 'see' or 'hear', etc.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. 'How' the character perceives things is really just a special effect. It has no game mechanic implications.

-Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 16, 2017, 10:34

Thanks, guys. I don't know where I got the concept of defining how; not having to spell that out makes it much easier to spell out things like sonar.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 16, 2017, 16:06

How would one go about creating a character that leaps/jumps farther or higher than the formula on p. 114 allows?

So far it doesn't seem to be a problem for the characters I've worked on, but I don't see any simple way of handling this. Perhaps a greater Strength/Carrying Capacity, but only for purposes of Leaping?

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 16, 2017, 16:12

If a character typically carries two different weapons (say two billy clubs, or two swords), would it be proper to buy the Ability of Special Melee Weapon twice? Or does having that Ability once give the character access to that weapon (one or more), and they simply use it to the best of their ability (which in some cases would mean they use two)?

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 16, 2017, 18:47

Quote from Majestic on May 16, 2017, 16:06
How would one go about creating a character that leaps/jumps farther or higher than the formula on p. 114 allows?

So far it doesn't seem to be a problem for the characters I've worked on, but I don't see any simple way of handling this. Perhaps a greater Strength/Carrying Capacity, but only for purposes of Leaping?

Yeah, I mentioned that one in my extended post. I'm so used to seeing some specific power for it, it stuck out at me. While a lot of bricks can leap well, some (the Hulk being the poster child) seem to do so even out of proportion to their relative strength to others, and you'll occasionally get good leapers who aren't all that strong.

Pages: First << 11 12 13 [14] 15
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 1.308 seconds.