Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
Author Topic: 2.9 General Questions
GiantGoril-
la
High-Powered Superhero
Post Re: 2.9 General Questions
on: May 6, 2017, 12:26

In response to the damage issue, couldn't the characters take evasive action or take cover behind some thing? Or attack from a distance to give themselves a little defense? Or two characters attacking from different angles. Some tactics like in basketball (or soccer). The smarter fighter can find an advantage.

I was into Charisma before it was Cool.

melronpere-
dor
Street-Level Hero
on: May 6, 2017, 12:52

Giantgorilla, my players are smart and this is not about odds of hitting or tactical play. Its about you get hit once you go down. In other words when discussing mechanics I am not a fan of play better or git good as an answer!! My players do all these things and my npcs also do it if smart enough, it still tends to boil down to first to hit wins. If its not a thing for you and your players good, but my players have remarked it after 3 sessions.

GiantGoril-
la
High-Powered Superhero
on: May 6, 2017, 13:43

I apologize, I didn't intend that to sound like "get good."

Jeff
Administrator
on: May 6, 2017, 14:30

It sounds to me like maybe your group isn't using the 'Rolling with Damage' rules (see 4.8.3)? That would soak up quite a few points from the incoming attack before it ever caused Hit point damage.

-Jeff

melronpere-
dor
Street-Level Hero
on: May 6, 2017, 16:32

GiantGorilla apology very much accepted. It is just I have seen too many mechanics discussion get derailed by roleplay harder arguments before(not here I should add), so I might be thin skinned on this peculiar subject.

melronpere-
dor
Street-Level Hero
on: May 6, 2017, 16:45

Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply. They are using it. With random creation, unless you get super characteristics you end up with around 12 to 15 hps and 55 to 65 power. Even with rolling it is difficult to avoid getting hit for more than half your hps with 2d10 or so damage. It might just be an issue for us, in which case I will drop the inquiry.

We felt that this more glaring since armour is so expensive for the few points it costs compared to damage. 20 cp power blast does 2d10 and 20 pts armour blocks 3 dmg across the board. I was simply wondering if other people had the same feeling, if the answer is no we'll tweak it to our hearts content. They are liking the game enough to be just ok with house ruling to keep playing.

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 6, 2017, 20:47

Well, with 3 points of armor and rolling for 5, that takes 8 off the average 11. That's only 3 hits, which means you expect to need to collect three of them before you go down, which doesn't seem unreasonable (and then they'll bounce back fast). Now, not everyone has armor, but they should likely have something for defense, which either makes them harder to hurt or harder to hit, generally...and if they don't have a defense, well, that's what happens in artillery duels..

GiantGoril-
la
High-Powered Superhero
on: May 8, 2017, 20:50

I have been looking at the 140 point "War Heroes" characters that were posted by BKAdams.
I ran a little combat with them fighting each other, and each of them was able to defend themselves pretty well.
It all seemed pretty balanced.

The character with no protection, Winged Victory, was still able to roll with twice the amount of damage, and turn non-corporeal. Plus her companion the gargoyle stepped into defend her. Only one character had a 2d10 power blast, but two of them had 2d8 (average 9) blasts that were for a different type of damage (psychic or other).

I assume a street-level campaign should not commonly have 2d10 power blasts. Maybe 2d6 power blast.

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 9, 2017, 09:03

Quote from GiantGorilla on May 8, 2017, 20:50
I have been looking at the 140 point "War Heroes" characters that were posted by BKAdams.
I ran a little combat with them fighting each other, and each of them was able to defend themselves pretty well.
It all seemed pretty balanced.

The character with no protection, Winged Victory, was still able to roll with twice the amount of damage, and turn non-corporeal. Plus her companion the gargoyle stepped into defend her. Only one character had a 2d10 power blast, but two of them had 2d8 (average 9) blasts that were for a different type of damage (psychic or other).

I assume a street-level campaign should not commonly have 2d10 power blasts. Maybe 2d6 power blast.

It depends how you look at it.

A standard campaign has 150 CP total; a low one (which might or might not be what a street-level campaign would have) has 100. The damage cap on a Low campaign is 11, which is still enough for 2D10, though the 20 points it will cost as a Power Blast is a bigger proportion of your available points (its the default for a given Ability in a Standard campaign via random character gen). Probably the default in a Low campaign is 10, which is, indeed 2D6--but there's nothing preventing a PC at least from having 2D10 unless you're using absolutely pure random gen.

bkadams
Cosmic Superhero
on: May 9, 2017, 09:37

In the 6 or so years I've been play-testing 3.0 I've either played in or GM'd a dozen or more campaigns and getting one-shotted has been a pretty rare occurance. Once the PCs spend some of their XP on stats the threat of being knocked-out by a single damage roll goes down significantly.

Pages: First << 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 1.141 seconds.