Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: First << 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 >> Last
Author Topic: 2.9 General Questions
Jeff
Administrator
Post Re: 2.9 General Questions
on: April 17, 2017, 01:14

Quote from Alienist on April 16, 2017, 16:15
Re: Life Support

Do I have this right, assuming the "no PR cost." part of the description is incorrect/irrelevant?
Life Support: Power instead of Charges (+0 CP) would be PR =3 (30- CP) or PR= 1 (35+ CP), with a duration equal to the original charge duration.

I'm not sure why you think the PR of 0 is 'irrelevant'. It doesn't have a PR cost. It *does* have Charges.

If you want to build a Life Support Ability that has PR instead of charges, then you can swap its Charges for a PR Cost using the 'Power Instead of Charges' Modifier on p. 100. Life Support with 8 1-round charges would become a PR of 3 per round.

-Jeff

Alienist
Street-Level Hero
on: April 17, 2017, 09:52

Quote from Alienist on April 16, 2017, 16:15
...assuming the "no PR cost." part of the description is incorrect/irrelevant?

I was incorrect on this. I had assumed it was irrelevant, or at the very least redundant, because items either have charges or a PR cost.
Upon closer inspection, given that there's no rule explicitly stating that just because an item has charges there is no PR cost, the text is actually necessary.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 17, 2017, 12:05

Quote from Jeff on April 17, 2017, 01:07

Quote from Majestic on April 16, 2017, 01:19
...he might have 30 points in one Heightened Senses (reflecting what his Armor ability has) and then another 30 for him personally. Does that 60 points of Heightened Senses end up violating the cap restriction that he's got?

No, not as long as he doesn't exceed 30 CPs (or whatever his personal Ability Cap is) in any *particular* Sense. The Abilities have to stack in order to violate the Ability Cap.

-Jeff

Got it. Thanks, Jeff.

I was thinking that this could be abused with taking multiple of a Heightened Basic Characteristic, but you already put a cap in place for those.

I think having a cap on BCs, Abilities, and Damage, along with a minimum amount for Abilities, and this should prevent most abuses or issues.

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 17, 2017, 15:19

I've finished converting Majestic, and am 90% done with Compass, another PC of mine.

Even though I've finished Majestic, one last comment regarding somebody with Armor, like he has. He's a real light-weight (smaller, randomly rolled at only 120 lbs.) and long ago we established weights for most Armor. In his case, it normally adds 50 lbs., making him 170 lbs. with the armor.

The only way this factored in (in 2.1) was with knock-back, or if somebody wanted to pick him up. His Hit Points were still calculated based on the 120 lbs.

Since weight is no longer tied into Hit Points, I suppose the proper way to write his Mass in 3.0 is to reflect his adjusted weight (though the Mass in this case remains the same).

V&V GM and player since 1982 (my current campaign is 22 years old); also run West End Games d6 Star Wars monthly, as well as the occasional The One Ring and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 17, 2017, 15:43

I have issue with one word in the text, and I ran it by a friend (and fellow player), who also doesn't like it. The word we've got issues with is "easily" when it's found in the following sentence (under 'Invisibility' on p. 58).

Note that Basic senses will still detect an otherwise Invisible character easily, unless they are also sneaking (see 3.1.5.1).

Easily?!? Really?

One of my pet peeves, having played a PC with Invisibility, is that it could sometimes be routine (depending on the GM) for bad guys to spot him. It seemed for awhile there that every thug shopped down at the local Thugs-R-Us and picked up infrared goggles to be able to see invisible opponents!

In all seriousness, Invisible characters should be difficult to detect, even when they're not sneaking. There is almost always ambient noise, in just about every environment, so it should be the exception, rather than the rule, for an invisible character to be "spotted" by regular folks.

Jeff
Administrator
on: April 17, 2017, 16:13

Sorry Majestic, we've put a ton of effort into getting the sense rules to work, that's the way it has to be.

Keep in mind, however, that 'easily detected' is not the same thing as 'easily targeted'; if you can only detect an invisible opponent through the use of a Basic sense, you're going to suffer penalties to hit them.

If you want your character to be undetectable even when not sneaking except on a critical perception check, then be invisible to sight, sound, and smell. That covers all of the default senses which have range.

-Jeff

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 17, 2017, 16:38

I'm cool with it working the way it does, as long as Invisibility isn't totally neutralized. My character with Invisibility ended up inventing a suit that makes him invisible to infrared, and though I'd figured I was just going to make him invisible to Light, visible and Light, Infrared, I suppose I could always make him invulnerable to Odors, too (the costume masking most of them).

As long as he isn't easily targeted, I think it will probably work just fine.

Paragon
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 17, 2017, 19:47

Yeah, I do have to note that basic Invisibility is actually awfully cheap; you can deal with the whole sight group for 10 points.

Speaking of which, I can't help but think the Camouflage modifier isn't saving you enough for how narrow it seems to be. Even if something like "urban" is legitimate (and I'm not sure it is given the examples at hand) there's going to be a lot of situations in a typical superhero's life where that isn't working.

Majestic
Cosmic Superhero
on: April 19, 2017, 17:35

Quote from Majestic on April 11, 2017, 15:26

Ouch, then Heightened Senses are indeed going to be much more expensive (than they were initially, as well as vastly much more than they ever were in earlier editions of the game).

After discovering something (while working on F.I.S.T.), I realized that I was paying way too much for Majestic's Heightened Senses. I don't have to buy "Ranged" on each of them (+10 to each), as both the things he can detect (Infrared and Sounds) are considered to "radiate" already.

That freed up a ton of points, and I was able to buy his Life Support up higher (even though it's never come into play), and put some points in the Wealth stat, too.

wistling
High-Powered Superhero
on: April 24, 2017, 05:49

About the Reversible modifier: does that mean any damaging power can be easily turned into a healing power? Or does it just reverse the damage inflicted by that general class of power/by that person's specific power? It would be useful to establish limits and examples, otherwise it might be confusing or prone to abuse.

Pages: First << 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 >> Last
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.067 seconds.